Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

If that is the best runner, why not swap the bodies over and get one useable loco which doesn’t look too bad? Put the two dodgy halves together and stick them on eBay and get a deposit for a new Bachmann one.

There are other complications I'm afraid Andy.  I won't go into detail, but I just have to accept that I'm stuck with what I have for the time being.

• RMweb Premium

Two more shots showing Silver Link's progress through the station this morning.

48746889_11143.JPG.ec091e0293819817553d6b88b5384a75.JPG

Surely there should also be one which shows some of those opulent Pullman cars?

334759796_12144.JPG.07e60d72506195d8d082407d73986af7.JPG

I shall take up the suggestion from our friend down under, and so shortly we shall consider stations. First though, I think we are looking at one of the most disgraceful decisions ever made when it came to deciding which locomotives should be preserved. Surely Silver Link fitted all the criteria, and should not have been cut up?  You may well think there were even worse instances though, so today let's look for the most glaring example of a locomotive, or a class, that should have been preserved for posterity.

• Like 19

In fairness to the people in the BRB at the time, they can have had no concept of how the heritage and preservation movement would develop and saw the steam engine as both commonplace and outdated.   How many of us think twice about seeing cars crushed, but are surprised when we find that something ubiquitous only a few years ago now only has a single figure number of survivors?  Once Mallard took the speed record, Silver Link was never going to survive - and without Alan Pegler, neither would Flying Scotsman have.   There was never much of a plan to conserve steam  - quite the opposite, some might say - and it's largely only because of Dai Woodham that the preserved steam railway can exist today.

I'd point fingers at the GWR for scrapping the preserved broad gauge locos at Swindon, and probably at the whole railway industry before WW 2 for not developing the LNER initiative to create a Railway Museum.   It's ironic that they ended up the least represented of the Big Four in terms of surviving locomotives.

I'd have liked a Claud or Jersey Lily to survive, but in terms of practicality a K3 (or a K2 for that matter) would be of most use to a preserved railway now.

Probably the most disgraceful decision, if we concentrate on that aspect alone, was sending Valour to the scrap line.  I'm sure the LNER under Gresley would have preserved her.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, great northern said:

End of another day of dismal weather. Surely it must improve soon?  Along with my memory, hopefully. I still can't think of another poll or something else to amuse us.

Featured train is the Tees Tyne Pullman, and the loco is Silver Link. We have views from opposite sides as she approaches Crescent Bridge.

579936346_9141.JPG.0b4017d23ac46a295e93efc6008f1aa8.JPG

1517271193_10142.JPG.6b9f4c7c07c35d3bbf6c7bcca8176fd3.JPG

I do like that second view from River Lane, despite the over tight curve.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I'd point fingers at the GWR for scrapping the preserved broad gauge locos at Swindon

Agreed - so my vote is for the original "North Star".

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/07/2020 at 17:06, great northern said:

It is all very frustrating Tony. This one is the worst V2 I have for looks, but it is the best running too. I can't run a proper sequence for  PN without V2s, so this has to appear a couple of times each day. I suppose I could just not photograph it when it does! I am indeed waiting for the Bachmann one to appear, and having heard Andy York's interview with them at the weekend it seems that Covid hasn't caused too serious delays in China, so hopefully it won't be too many months before we see it.

Tim does make his own chassis, but doesn't want to build for curves as tight as mine, so that's out. I only have one new Bachmann chassis, and that runs under a body that Tim did from Graeme King's offering. I know Tim is also not yet convinced as to the longevity of 3D printed stuff as well. I think I'll just have to wait and hope.

Hi Gilbert

At least all your 2-6-2s and 4-6-2s have their trailing wheels.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, great northern said:

First though, I think we are looking at one of the most disgraceful decisions ever made when it came to deciding which locomotives should be preserved. Surely Silver Link fitted all the criteria, and should not have been cut up?  You may well think there were even worse instances though, so today let's look for the most glaring example of a locomotive, or a class, that should have been preserved for posterity.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the LMS 10000; so I will.

• Like 4

One loco that should have been preserved? There are so many. As has already been said, one of the Broad Gauge from GWR perhaps, or something from one of the smaller pre-grouping constituents, especially those such as the Barry, where no loco is preserved. So I think I will go for a Barry Railway B1.

Lloyd