Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Nice to be counting a poll again. The final vote decided it, and gave 10000 3 votes, with A1 and C12 getting 2. My liking for C12s is well known, and for me the lack of one is a real tragedy, considering that 67352 was cleaned up and sent out to two exhibitions in late 1958. I well remember seeing it, and getting in the cab, at Holmes yard Lincoln. The only other loco I remember from the exhibition is Mallard. Surely room could have been found for a little engine like that somewhere?

Now to the very good suggestion of a vote for our favourite stations, which can indeed be divided into a number of categories. We will start where a lot of trains did, namely at termini. I think London merits a vote of its own, so here we go, favourite London terminus. It would be interesting to hear the reasons for your choice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

King’s Cross, with plenty of happy memories, including seeing a Deltic hauled train of Mklld stock arriving one June day, in 1978, with the carriages covered in brake dust and filth! What a sound the 55 Deltic made under the roof too. 

Rob.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Nice to be counting a poll again. The final vote decided it, and gave 10000 3 votes, with A1 and C12 getting 2. My liking for C12s is well known, and for me the lack of one is a real tragedy, considering that 67352 was cleaned up and sent out to two exhibitions in late 1958. I well remember seeing it, and getting in the cab, at Holmes yard Lincoln. The only other loco I remember from the exhibition is Mallard. Surely room could have been found for a little engine like that somewhere?

Now to the very good suggestion of a vote for our favourite stations, which can indeed be divided into a number of categories. We will start where a lot of trains did, namely at termini. I think London merits a vote of its own, so here we go, favourite London terminus. It would be interesting to hear the reasons for your choice.

Hi Gilbert

Kings Cross and Waterloo can separate them both fantastic.

David

• RMweb Gold

Victoria. I worked there in 1967/8, got to know the nooks and crannies - Inwards Baggage Office, anyone? 20 years later I was involved in the NSE rebuilding, rafting etc - it was in my budget! And it had been home to the Brighton railway of yore. LBSCR HQ was London Bridge, but it has always been a mess compared to the West End terminus. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It should be St Pancras, as that was where our local line ran to, but I'll vote for Waterloo because of my visits in 1967 to see express steam for the last time - and also my first trip through the Channel Tunnel on a staff training run in November 1994.

• Like 1

Another Paddington vote from me. My father took me there in the '60s, and we were able to walk freely to the platform ends and listen tot he wondrous sounds of Maybach engines at full chat exiting the station with 10 bogies astern.

We also spotted a DMU and I asked my father why the front of it said 'Reading'.

HE replied that this was a special train for people who wished to quietly read their newspapers and books. 

I was deeply impressed at the tender age of 9 or whatever, that a railway looked after its passengers so well!

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Ok, got it wrong first time, teach me to read further in the thread.  I do like all of the London Termini, but St Pancras is my all time favourite.  I couldn’t believe it when a mate suggested visiting the Betjeman Arms pub that you could have a pint of ale and watch the Eurostars, always try to visit there when in London.

Edited by trw1089
  • Like 1

St. Pancras for me too. Without doubt my favourite piece of London architecture. I used it frequently in the late 1980s when it was pretty grim and its future uncertain. I used to think to myself "Why can't they do something with this?" I'm so glad they did.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Should vote for Wakefield Westgate, just, well, because, but really, York does it for me more than any other station.  That curved roof, the double platform on 8/9, the bays to Scarborough and seeing so many grand photos of steam specials in books from when I was a lad.  I remember my first visit their in 2008 when over for a work trip, couldn’t wipe the smile off my face for ages!

I know that londoners seem to think that that is all that there is, and it keeps on growing, but that is rather stretching it a bit. Also since when did York become a terminus? Is it north or York or south of York that has closed?

For my choice it would have to be Paddington. The wonderful sight of all that chocolate and cream until you reached the highly polished Brunswick green and copper. If it is the station structure itself, then either St Pancras with the hotel, or Euston with the arch.

Lloyd

• RMweb Gold

Kings Cross for me, the majority of the London termini and especially in the 1970 -80's most were run down, as was the majority of the network infrastructure but the Cross always had something special. St Pancras was especially run down and uncared for despite the wonderful hotel which was certainly no advert for it at the time, Euston was a depressing place except for the relics on sale which were always interesting and the others all seemed to need massive investment which many eventually received. 

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

I know that londoners seem to think that that is all that there is, and it keeps on growing, but that is rather stretching it a bit. Also since when did York become a terminus? Is it north or York or south of York that has closed?

For my choice it would have to be Paddington. The wonderful sight of all that chocolate and cream until you reached the highly polished Brunswick green and copper. If it is the station structure itself, then either St Pancras with the hotel, or Euston with the arch.

Lloyd

Sorry, missed reading London Termini.  All fixed now.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Kings Cross. The first place and only place I “ cabbed “ an A4, albeit holding onto my dads hand in case it swallowed me up. Gets the vote over Paddington because there were better views from the platform end. An absolutely charismatic place even if architecturally a bit boring. 

• Agree 1