Peterborough North

great northern

Blackpool Central. Complete with the fabulous approach, from Blackpool South, either direct or via Lytham, then the masses of sidings holding excursions. Just outside the station the complex of Central MPD and the Blackpool Transport tram/bus complex too. A proper terminus with many platforms, always seemed busy (in summer anyway), and wonderfully located.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Blackpool Central. Complete with the fabulous approach, from Blackpool South, either direct or via Lytham, then the masses of sidings holding excursions. Just outside the station the complex of Central MPD and the Blackpool Transport tram/bus complex too. A proper terminus with many platforms, always seemed busy (in summer anyway), and wonderfully located.

I had considered some of the wonderful termini at seaside locations which were busy in the summer and thought that could be another poll.  I nominated Brighton even as it is on the coast as my mainline terminus because it is busy with London and local traffic all year round.

• Like 2

Cleethorpes on a Bank Hoilday Monday , it the days people still went to the seaside by train. There is probably no other terminus where you could see such a huge variety of motive power and rolling stock, except maybe Blackpool North or Skegness, but I’ve never been to either of those.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Hint - Seaside termini may well be a poll of its own, as will be branch line ones. We are on the big city stuff at the moment.

Ah that rIses a problem . If seasides are having a poll of their own then Ihave to withdraw Cleethorpes and replace it with Penzance assuming the Rules Committee accept Penzance is a city even though it is technically a town.

If seaside terminii are to be a later poll then I'll withdraw Oban and settle for Glasgow Queen Street just by a whisker from Glasgow Central!  Or maybe Hull Paragon between 1955-1970.  Facinating place according to photo's I've seen.  No, sticking with Glasgow Queen Street!

Roja

• Like 1

G'Day Folks

Bit harder, this one, so many city destinations are through station,  I did think of Bradford Interchange :P, but Hull Paragon piped it at the post.

manna

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, great northern said:

Hint - Seaside termini may well be a poll of its own, as will be branch line ones. We are on the big city stuff at the moment.

Oh, in that case I'll change my vote to Glasgow Queen Street (High Level).

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Seeing as how no-one else has mentioned it - and I've made a condensed model of it - Manchester Central, t'other end of t'line from St Pancras and every bit as grand.

I always thought the other end of the line from St Pancras  (patron saint of English railways) was the patron saint of Scottish railways, Glasgow St Enoch.

But others would argue that Bath Queens Square or even Bristol St Philips were the end of the line. Then there are Bradford Foster Square and Leeds Wellington. And what about Liverpool Central - High Level (despite it being in a hole).

Apart form St Philips all the others, and Manchester Central were grand affairs, what a wonderful railway the Midland was.

My vote still goes to Brighton as I did not know the others in the heyday.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That was a difficult poll to count, as we had a few changes of mind. When the dust settled, Hull Paragon, Brighton and Glasgow Queen Street all had three votes, but Penzance no longer did, so there was a three way tie.

Perhaps I should be more precise when giving the subject for the day. I think we can look at seaside termini in three categories, large, small and branch line. After all, some were not really holiday destinations, were they? So today, large seaside termini, let's say six platforms or more, and which came into existence and grew to serve the holiday trade.

• RMweb Gold

Well, Gilbert, firstly congratulations on the tenth anniversary of this lovely thread about your beautiful layout of Peterborough North. Well done.

Now, I too are voting for Scarborough. Not a better example of a seaside terminus that I can think of which, in it’s heyday had nine platforms, plus that very long seat on number one platform leading up to the Whitby bay platform, number 1a.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Congrats on passing such an implausible milestone, Gilbert. One of the hallmarks of the thread throughout my time here has been your willingness to share the limelight with those whose skills have contributed to PN's success. 

Nevertheless the fact remains, as I have said before, that you are the glue - you have orchestrated the assembly and deserve massive credit for that. You might baulk at the term visionary, but I do not see it as an exaggeration.

I hope the next ten years are as successful, and that the band of regulars on this thread is still intact to keep the party swinging. 

• Agree 11
  • Thanks 1