Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Only been to Skeg vegas once we had a week there. Lovely it was bbqed some sausages (cremated the wife claims) argued over it for 2 hours made up. Nine months later we had our 2nd Son. 

Hes now 10 we havent been back yet.

What a life!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, great northern said:

The Up Queen of Scots tonight. Two views of Copley Hill A1 Abbotsford.

462591591_31411.JPG.a0ffcc4f39f416eb81a4365ed053ac06.JPG

287442487_41412.JPG.3f9d73ce5d192d98e257ec71f466f6ab.JPG

Hi Gilbert,  Congratulations on ten years of Peterborough North.  it has been fascinating, inspirational and informative.

I am interested in your signals and where they are placed on the layout and what they are there for.  Could you elaborate on this.  I know this may take some time, so seeing that others have said they hope you keep going, here is another aspect to cover.  I am working on layout signals and looking into a friends O gauge layout, which is 45' x 20'.

It may also require some more aerial photography.

Thanks
Mark

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisf said:

Seaside terminus: has to be Barry Island.

Chris

I thought the line continued to Barry Pier, so not a terminus. Also i think only 4 platforms. I remember when waiting for trains back to Cardiff that they always seemed to arrive through the tunnel.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium

A bit of controversy about how many platforms some places had, but it doesn't matter, as Scarborough shot off into the lead, and never looked like being caught. 8 votes, and nowhere else got more than 2.

Today, we will move on to small seaside termini which were either built to attract the holiday trade, or grew as a result of it.

• Like 3

Whitby.   Still enjoy the novelty of going there on a steam train.   Brings back memories of riding with my Gran on a 101, sitting right behind the driver and watching the road ahead.

Mind you, I fully intend to experience Wemyss Bay when the opportunity arises.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Kyle more of a fishing / ferry port (for Skye) than specifically built for tourists but I absolutely see where you're coming from.

I need to go trawling (ha - see what I did there) through my photo archive as I have a fair few pix of some of these surviving places. I was going to suggest Wemmiss Bay ...

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, great northern said:

The Yorkshire Pullman is seen this morning. Immaculate Lord Faringdon seems to be the regular engine at the moment.

1527070890_8343.JPG.33a9130e912e24469d3673e2f1f143cf.JPG

If you compare this with recent similar shots you will see that I have shopped out all the darkness under the bridge on this one, which I had previously stopped doing, as it is very difficult to deal with. Looking at this one, all it does is accentuate the sharp curve and nothingness at that end, so it might be better just to leave it as I have previously, do you think?

The problem is that the more I close up gaps, the darker the remaining ones that obviously have to be left open, get.

I'd almost advocate going the other way, Gilbert - try filling that space in with a dark grey or brown, rather than sky.

Worth a try.

Cheers

Scott

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Western Aviator said:

Another vote for Brighton (even though it looks like Scarborough is romping away with this one).

Ermmm.. a little late with that one, I'm afraid. We are on to the smaller stations now.

• RMweb Premium

Boxing the compass on the basis that anything that wasn't large is small, my short list is Hayling Island, Eastbourne, Walton-on-the-Naze, Saltburn-by-the-Sea, North Berwick, Oban, Llandudno, Minehead and Newquay. My vote goes, of course , to Newquay.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, great northern said:

Ermmm.. a little late with that one, I'm afraid. We are on to the smaller stations now.

Oops. Ok, I’ll vote for Kingswear for its picturesque location. 

1 hour ago, FarrMan said:

I thought the line continued to Barry Pier, so not a terminus. Also i think only 4 platforms. I remember when waiting for trains back to Cardiff that they always seemed to arrive through the tunnel.

Lloyd

Well, yes it did, but as far as I am aware the Pier was only served by trains connecting with sailings by P & A Campbell White Funnel pleasure steamers.  The service trains which were either projected to or started back from the Pier were listed in the weekly notice, as were any specials/reliefs.   I travelled from Barry Pier to Barry  one day in 1956, having obtained a discount on a cruise in the Bristol Channel with my Eagle Club badge!  It may well be that trains were run down to the Pier to keep them out of the way at busy times.  Barry Pier was sufficiently rare track to be visited by one of Mr Camwell's tours in 1957, possibly the last auto train to go down there.

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Seaside Termini, off to a holiday camp where the highlight of the week is granddad coming second in the knobbly knees contest. Therefore for today's poll I nominate Filey Holiday Camp Station. Ideal for those modellers not into making buildings but want plenty of train action, all be it on a summer Saturday.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 4