Peterborough North

great northern

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Well, you do like your small seaside termini. More votes on this than anything else so far, I think, 27 of them. They were spread over 17 locations, so no big winner this time. Whitby 4 Swanage 3 were the top two.

Now I have to try and remember where we have got to. Ah yes, we started in London, then went to large City termini outisde the capital, after which we headed for the seaside, large and small. I think we have concluded the holiday scene now, so let's look at the smaller termini, but leave the rural branch line terminus to have a category of its own.

Right, town termini today, to include coastal ones that were not really holiday destinations. But no "classic" BLTs.

North Woolwich. In town, and nobody went there on holiday. Not on the GWR so won’t upset those of a sensitive nature. Three curved platforms taking four coaches, ideal as a basis fo a model, carriage sidings one side, goods yard the other, N7’s , and in later years L1’s , standard class 4 tank(s) , and even  standard class 4 2-6-0. J15’s on the freights. In the days before the world went mad and “rationalised “ it , it absolutely oozed industrial atmosphere.  A national tragedy when they closed it in favour of the soul-less DLR.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Reading South / Southern for me, steam on the Guildford / Tonbridge line and classic electrics on the ex LSWR services from Waterloo - a great place. Unfortunately BR shut it in 1965 and diverted the services into Reading General. All trace is now gone.

The other contender would have been Aberystwyth for me - which had two gauges!

Regards

Chris H

• Like 3

Small terminus? I would plump for Kyle. Many a time I have been sitting in the car waiting for the ferry when the train had just come in (I used to live on Skye). On a summer's evening you would see all the tourists (sometimes known as bongleys) gather around the edge of the jetty looking at the sea, then starting to feel the midges - wonderful free entertainment! Also a lovely view across to Kykleakin and just to the left of it, the Loch of the Beastie.

There is an amusing story about a road in kyleakin being resurfaced because of a spelling mistake! Another is of the Skye ferry being hijacked to Australia.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

But Inverness is now officially a city.

Lloyd

Ah, so it is! Not when I last when there though. If it is disqualified, I'll whizz to the other end of the country and go for Weymouth.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

But isn't Weymouth a seaside place? 

I'm voting for it in the context of it being a port, according to the rule: "...town termini today, to include coastal ones that were not really holiday destinations".

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've lost track of the poll lately but a lot of people seem to be voting for Kyle of Lochalsh.

If I haven't missed the boat....... Kyle of Lochalsh for me please. Memories of a brilliant Scottish holiday and the very nice young lady hostess  :) in the converted DMU observation car.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Metropolitan H said:

Reading South / Southern for me, steam on the Guildford / Tonbridge line and classic electrics on the ex LSWR services from Waterloo - a great place. Unfortunately BR shut it in 1965 and diverted the services into Reading General. All trace is now gone.

The other contender would have been Aberystwyth for me - which had two gauges!

Regards

Chris H

I am building a model of Readng South with lots of compromises but essentialy the same with no goods yard yet!  The track layout is essentialy correct.

image.png.f42b89ce2c4b5023847abe8aa84afd67.png

Edited by CHAZ D
  • Like 8