Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I'll go with Richmond, as the building was and is - now reused - rather marvellous. 

Masham was also tempting - it was a busy place when the reservoir building works were going on a 100 years back and Hunslet 0-6-2T "Leeds No.1" was working on the 2ft gauge line.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I never went there* but I should think Blyth station would have been an interesting terminus; in fact I've seen a very nice model of it in 2mm scale.

* I tell a lie, I have been there but on a rail tour a few years ago, and no sign of the station at the end of the present day freight line!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 31A said:

I never went there* but I should think Blyth station would have been an interesting terminus; in fact I've seen a very nice model of it in 2mm scale.

* I tell a lie, I have been there but on a rail tour a few years ago, and no sign of the station at the end of the present day freight line!

You wouldn't see where the station was as it was on a different line into the town.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Thanks 1

On 15/07/2020 at 23:23, Clive Mortimore said:

I did think of Braintree, in steam days it appeared like a through station but services from both Witham and Bishops Sortford terminated there, there was never a Witham to Bishops Sortford srevice. There were some through freights and summer excursions.

Well I’ll be jiggered . I never knew that . The things you learn on RM web! I had a bit of an interest in  Braintree in the Blue DMU era as my future Mrs lived there. She could never understand why when going to Chelmsford we had to drive to the station, get the DMU rattler to Witham then the electric thing to  Chelmsford when we could have just jumped in the car and driven straight to Chelmsford. However, I digress.

Braintree seems to have been a fascinating place in steam days with a shed and loco yard a flair sized goods facilities (wasn’t there a timber yard our brickworks or something there ? I was a member of the Great Eastern Society for a while and they seemed to dig up some lovely pictures and a painting of Braintree in the early 50’s with ancient Great Eastern 0-6-0’s pottering about but I can’t remember anything about no through trains. It seems a bit inefficient to run two trains when one could easily have run the whole journey . How did work with just an up and down line ? Did one train arrive, run round and depart before the other or did one cross from the Up to the Down line as it arrived so passengers just walked over the foot bridge ?
I never thought about it before but would probably be a decent modelling project with trains arriving and departing in different directions.

Its probably another line that would be viable today if it hadn’t been cut off at  Braintree.

Maybe we should have another poll on closed lines that should have been kept open,:P

• Like 2

If this competition is what I think it is, I could well choose Alnwick, (Thanks to Mr K Hoole.)

However, has anyone considered Durham Elvet?

Not a lot of goods traffic, but if it was modelled on Gala day...... 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, figworthy said:

Aberford.  Not just because it is in Gods Own County, but it was also a bit quirky.

Adrian

...but never part of the North Eastern Region? Rules clarification please umpire!

PS I lived in Garforth for about five years.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jazzer said:

Maybe we should have another poll on closed lines that should have been kept open,

That would probably be a three-horse race between the Great Central, the Waverley Route and the S&DJR.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

A two horse race for this poll. Alnwick 5 Richmond 4.

Now we come to the Eastern region, which I think we will consider in two parts. The first will be what I'm always tempted to call East Anglia, but won't, as it caused controversy some time back. So the area today comprises Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire. Some lovely BLTs to be found here, and in many cases delightfully bucolic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, great northern said:

A two horse race for this poll. Alnwick 5 Richmond 4.

Now we come to the Eastern region, which I think we will consider in two parts. The first will be what I'm always tempted to call East Anglia, but won't, as it caused controversy some time back. So the area today comprises Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk and Cambridgeshire. Some lovely BLTs to be found here, and in many cases delightfully bucolic.

Now you are causing trouble so may to chose from.

Kelvedon Low Level.

• Like 2