Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Of course.    Are you looking for a Great Northern location this time, then?

(I had occasion to point out to my wife at the weekend, after watching a Network Rail film about the Werrington diveunder, that the route to which it gives access is still called the GN/GE Joint, 97 years after Grouping.   In that context, if you close your eyes, it's not too hard to imagine that 1948 never happened).

Anywhere south of Shaftholme Junction should be OK.

Stamford Town (ie the one that isn't open any more)

Tempted to suggest Tumby Woodside or Dogdyke (Flanders & Swann again)

What about Horncastle, that was a BLT.

Rich vein of delightful names in East Lincs area ...

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It has to be Stamford East - the closed one in Water Street, which had an overall roof over two platform road either side of an island platform and was latterly worked by C12 4-4-2Ts on trains to Essendine and earlier also trains to Wansford via Barnack and Ufford Bridge (till 1929).

The station building still stands - as a private residence, in Water Street and I believw the Goods Shed has also been reused?

I think this is the same as the "Stamford Town" referred to above? - The remaining station now is the ex Midland one.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is a tough one.

Dunstable and St Albans come to mind but they were joint LNWR and later in LMR control. Then of course there was the London branch of the MS&LR Marylebone, which also passed into LMR control. One of the joint LNWR and GNR branch line stations that did remain in the ER was of course Cambridge but some other minor railway had a gert long platform and made it a through station (but the GNR and LNWR corner was a terminus).  Alexander Palace is a contender, as is Ramsey North. 

I think my vote will go to Henlow Camp, on the Midland Line to Bedford but after the through line was closed and Henlow Camp became the terminus of the line from Hitchin. RAF leave trains would be a couple of Mk1 non-gangway coaches hauled by a J15 or an 03 diesel shunter.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 5

I've been waiting for this poll - it can only be Stamford East for me .

I even tried to work out how I could incorporate it into my current layout but it was too difficult as I would have ended up with two branch termini rather than one plus my secondary route through station  which is much more useable in an operational sense on my layout.

I went in search of the site of Stamford East during a visit to the UK in 2008 and found the station building and the goods shed, both now in use as apartments.

Andrew

1114354337_StamfordEastGNDSC_0272ps.jpg.378aad957117f9af66a1be0e565cb4bc.jpg

1666363237_StamfordEastGNGoodsShedDSC_0275ps.jpg.96ca2496a5a52d6d4cab3111b813dd1d.jpg

Edited by Woodcock29
typo
  • Like 9

41 minutes ago, great northern said:

Back again. I've been expecting a parcel, and this morning it arrived. A new A3 makes things much more bearable, especially when it has been Timmed.

1455913840_2442.JPG.c9bee6378060dead23bb3df6a3b08d0b.JPG

1558381946_1441.JPG.7d08b644dd302db6c6d5c6b8e2a1d612.JPG

1140512005_3443.JPG.d15447c60ef8058a2e34c66e696e77cc.JPG

So lovely I photographed it three times. Melton was a 34A engine, and had been given a general and repaint in May 1958, so it isn't surprising that it was still very clean later that summer. Despite it still being single blast, it was recorded on some of the top expresses, so clearly regarded as a very good engine. We worked from a picture taken on Offord curves in July 58, and Tim has done his usual excellent job in reproducing it. It seems that one cannot have too many A3s. There was another box in the parcel, but that must wait till later, as I don't want anyone getting too excited.

Well done to Tim,

Especially as it looks like he's removed the superfluous conduit/valve on the nearside of the smokebox.  Unless Hornby has already done it on later models of A3s with LH drive? 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Well done to Tim,

Especially as it looks like he's removed the superfluous conduit/valve on the nearside of the smokebox.  Unless Hornby has already done it on later models of A3s with LH drive? 

No, it was still there, but in fairness this was a new St Gatien that I picked up on E Bay, so not one of the latest. Tim did remove it though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Your favourite Eastern Region BLT turned out to be Stamford East by a large margin, 9 votes to no more than 2 for anything else.

Let's finish off the terminus polls by looking for our nationwide favourites. So today, back to the seaside. Which is/was your favourite in the whole of the UK, and why?