Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Your favourite Eastern Region BLT turned out to be Stamford East by a large margin, 9 votes to no more than 2 for anything else.

Let's finish off the terminus polls by looking for our nationwide favourites. So today, back to the seaside. Which is/was your favourite in the whole of the UK, and why?

St Ives. Not so much for the terminus but the line as whole. Even today a spectacular scene around Carbis Bay. Folks from grimey industrial towns on, perhaps their first holiday after the war (or ever?) must have thought they’d died and come to heaven.

Edited by TrevorP1
  • Like 1

There are so many seaside termini to chose from, with so many individual delightful idiosyncrasies. This makes the choice so difficult. I think for the excellence of the station itself, rather than its surroundings or the stock using it, it would have to be Wemyss Bay. Such a beautiful building.

Lloyd

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Torn between 3

Ilfracombe. My father moved to Combe Martin  and I explored the remains of the line (wonderful views).

Penzance  60's early 70's  never remember steam but the view from marizion beach as the early warships (D600-D60?) roared out of Penzance and past the crossing  onto the beach was inspiring to a youngster.

LLandudno.  Part of the station had a very large model railway. My parents and sister would go to the beach and I woud spend a couple of hours watching the trains going around and over the hump shunting yard in the middle.

If pushed I would have to choose Penzance.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Favourite seaside terminus has to be Swanage - early childhood family holiday memories and more recent holidays since the preservation works have got it going again.

Other contenders would be Whitby, Scarborough, Minehead, Kingswear, St.Ives and Penzance.

Regards

Chris H

Wells next the Sea, would love to have the space to model it properly including the line down to the harbour. Been fascinated by it since I realised that to shunt the goods shed wagons had to go through the engine shed which was directly in front of it. Unusual track plan because of the two different lines that came into the station from different sides. I believe at one point a loco would set back and the the carriages would roll into the station under gravity because of a lack of conventional run round. Interesting locos such as E4s, D16s and J15 and it just survived into the diesel era. The station building still exists.

Outside East Anglia, Weymouth in steam days with its vast site, when  passenger trains to the harbour were still steam worked along the road and quayside and the branch to Portland was still open.

Martyn

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Seaside location, Dovercourt, Walton -on - Sea, Clacton -on- Sea, Brightlingsea, Tollesbury Peir, Maldon East, Southminster (well it is the nearest station to the end of the world, Bradwell-on-Sea) or Southend Victoria? Then of course you have the Midland Railway terminus of Shoeburyness. This is so so difficult.

What the hell just go for it Clive........Bognor Regis.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

It has to be Blackpool for me. Something for all tastes there. And the trams. The long lamented Central station, also the proper part of North, with the (still used today) excursion platforms. Also thepoor little South station, nowadays a pathetic terminus, which used to be a quite large junction station.

And I nearly forgot - all the wonderful times I've had in and around the town.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, 31A said:

Does Hull Paragon count as sea side?

Hi Steve

No cos it is Kingston upon Hull. From Wikipeda "Kingston upon Hull, usually abbreviated to Hull, is a port city and unitary authority in the East Riding of Yorkshire, northeastern England. It lies upon the River Hull at its confluence with the Humber Estuary, 25 miles inland from the North Sea,"

But who can believe Wikipeda.

Anyhow Gilbert is the judge

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Steve

No cos it is Kingston upon Hull. From Wikipeda "Kingston upon Hull, usually abbreviated to Hull, is a port city and unitary authority in the East Riding of Yorkshire, northeastern England. It lies upon the River Hull at its confluence with the Humber Estuary, 25 miles inland from the North Sea,"

But who can believe Wikipeda.

Anyhow Gilbert is the judge

Oh I didn't realise it was as much as 25 miles from the sea, I thought it was a bit like Sarfend!   In that case I won't vote for Hull.

How about Cromer High.

• RMweb Gold

Mine is Scarborough. Just such a good place, and the station, at it’s zenith, had just about everything including trains having to reverse in and out of platform 1a for the Whitby line, which then went through Falsgrave tunnel. The longest station seat, certainly in England. 

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, 31A said:

Oh I didn't realise it was as much as 25 miles from the sea, I thought it was a bit like Sarfend!   In that case I won't vote for Hull.

How about Cromer High.

Hi Steve

Now Southend is a bit of a odd place as its real name is Southend-on-Sea but it ain't it is in the Thames Estuary.Plus it doesn't really have a beach, it is on mud flats. 

When I were lad me Mum and Dad would take me and my brother on a day trip to Southend by train from Bedford it was great fun trying to work out which route we would take as sometimes we ended up at Victoria and sometimes Central. Back in them days the local coppers wore white helmets in the summer, very strange.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Steve

Now Southend is a bit of a odd place as its real name is Southend-on-Sea but it ain't it is in the Thames Estuary.Plus it doesn't really have a beach, it is on mud flats. 

When I were lad me Mum and Dad would take me and my brother on a day trip to Southend by train from Bedford it was great fun trying to work out which route we would take as sometimes we ended up at Victoria and sometimes Central. Back in them days the local coppers wore white helmets in the summer, very strange.  

Southend-on-Mud doesn't really sound very attractive though, does it?

• Like 3

So many seaside stations to chose from. For me though it is Brighton.

Not only was this the closest sea to me when I was growing up, it was also the site of the best school field trip ever. The subject was Economics and we were 18(ish). We set off from East Croydon and when we arrived at Brighton station (mid morning) the teachers said:

“meet back here at 4pm, we are going that way, and will be in these pubs. Only two rules - don’t get into trouble and  we don’t want to see you again until 4!”

Needless to say we went in the opposite direction to them and stayed in different pubs!

Jon

• Like 4