Peterborough North

great northern

I like the nominations for both High Barnet and Belgrave Road but am not sure in my own mind whether I would count their routes as branch lines. 

My nomination would be for Stamford.  It had an interesting station and there would be interesting possibilities for traffic to and from the Midland.

The kit-bashed engine shed and signal box on my layout are derived from the Stamford originals. 

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I know someone who has 58 more (59 if you count 4470 before Mr Thompson got his hands on it)

QED

He threatened to run them all on Grantham; I reckoned that would take about four days of prototypical operating time - it was bad enough trying to do all the A4s the first time we were out with the layout.

All of which just goes to show how remarkably restrained I have been, doesn't it? :mosking: Only 20!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I am quite surprised with all the GNR fans on this thread and number of times Gilbert has asked to vote of various terminus stations no one has mentioned Leicester Belgrave Road. I don't think you are real GNR fans but just like Gresley locos.

...and what’s wrong with that?!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I think we have now come to the end of Termini polls. After all, there is no further we can go, is there?  Just a dead end really. This final one was won by North Woolwich, the only one to get more than one vote. It got two.

So, on we go to through stations, and we will start big. I think also we will narrow the choice a bit by going regional again. Large junction stations in London today, which is/was your favourite, and why?  I suppose you will want a definition of what counts as London. How about within 10 miles of the terminus?

I would second Finsbury Park.  Served by 3 different London termini and numerous goods stations, and junction for the Northern Heights branches. 

In earlier days served by the Norf London Railway and operators from sarf of the river in addition to the home team.  Also burrowing moles underground, and numerous bus and tram routes on three sides of the station.

• RMweb Gold

St E has it by a country mile. East Croydon is simply unique in its location and function. Just inside Gilbert's 10-miles, it is the confluence of the Victoria and London Bridge services, and, these days, Thameslink, all rushing towards the coast. It has a huge number of trains, with 6 platforms busy throughout the day. In NSE days the income was more than any other BR station outside the London termini, except New Street.

Until the late '80s, it was a rather ramshackle affair with modest buildings, due to the construction of the overbridge upon which the passenger terminal sits. Now, at least it has a presence more becoming. 

And yes, I have to admit a personal pride - a declared interest. When NSE proposed a £10m upgrade, I worked with the architects on the design, and wrote the Strategy Submission that the Board's Investment Adviser had demanded, as well as the submission for the first phase of work. When these documents were 'called in' for extra scrutiny - the Board and other Sectors were deeply suspicious of anything NSE managed to justify - everything was found to be squeaky clean.........

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

3 hours ago, great northern said:

All of which just goes to show how remarkably restrained I have been, doesn't it? :mosking: Only 20!

Which means there's plenty of scope for more and you still won't have too many!

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

I think we have now come to the end of Termini polls. After all, there is no further we can go, is there?  Just a dead end really. This final one was won by North Woolwich, the only one to get more than one vote. It got two.

So, on we go to through stations, and we will start big. I think also we will narrow the choice a bit by going regional again. Large junction stations in London today, which is/was your favourite, and why?  I suppose you will want a definition of what counts as London. How about within 10 miles of the terminus?

I'm gonna wait patiently for the call for LMR / north of England poll ...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Love the view of Curlew earlier Gilbert.  I have it in an earlier guise and I have to admit that I do like it in blue.

As for London junction stations, it would have to be Clapham Junction for me.

51F47860-4EDB-41F0-87C1-F827709608CF.jpeg

• Like 15

3 hours ago, great northern said:

Oh , I dare say unless you go into rehab, we’ll be seeing a few more going through PN before long ( at least I hope so !):)

Hackney Downs for the sheer rate of Rush hour traffic going through it , a constant stream of trains from Enfield Town, Chingford, 

, Hertford East and the Bishops Stortford/Cambridge Line.

3 Miles from Liverpool St. 

Stratford is bigger but you can’t see a great deal from most positions

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, jazzer said:

Oh , I dare say unless you go into rehab, we’ll be seeing a few more going through PN before long ( at least I hope so !):)

I'm afraid they have now become low on the priority list. Rolling stock is now the pressing need.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

For today’s poll, I’m also going to put forward Clapham Junction. It’s the ultimate, surely, in London junction stations, and almost certainly the most famous in the world.

Rob.

• Like 1