Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

It's difficult to decide between Stratford and Clapham Junction, I used to enjoy visiting both.

In the end I've decided to go with Clapham Junction as I didn't see third rail electrics in Essex!

David

I'll plump for Stratford.

Lots of variety, well there was the last time I was there before Lockdown - Cl.90s on passenger (but gone now), 86s and 66s on freights, plus all the EMU action and the Central Line as it bobs up for air. Nice quiet spot at the end of plat 10a to see most of it too.

P1380429.JPG

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DaveF said:

It's difficult to decide between Stratford and Clapham Junction, I used to enjoy visiting both.

In the end I've decided to go with Clapham Junction as I didn't see third rail electrics in Essex!

David

Hi David,

Plenty with 3rd and 4th rail.

Epping? Ongar? Loughton? Theydon Bois? Upminster?

I could list more places.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Southend Pier!

7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi David,

Plenty with 3rd and 4th rail.

Epping? Ongar? Loughton? Theydon Bois? Upminster?

I could list more places.

In an attempt to get me out of the hole I dug for myself, I should have said "Southern 3rd rail electrics"

To be honest I'd forgotten about LT lines - it shows how long ago I moved away.

David

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Another very close poll, most of the votes going to Finsbury Park, E.Croydon or Clapham Junction. FP started very well, but CJ came up on the rails, and they could not be separated, getting 5 votes each.

Same theme today, large main line junction stations, this time on the Southern and Western regions of BR and its predecessors. The reasond for choice are fascinating, so keep them coming, please.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if Templecombe is classed as large, but listening to Bulleid Pacifics roaring through there on Peter Handford's recordings, and that it was on the S&D, it has to be a favourite.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'd suggest Eastleigh.  A town whose very existence and development is down to the railway.

A junction station that originally had up and down platform loops, plus through roads.  Several large yards, motive power depot and of course, Eastleigh Works.

I was brought up close to the mainline to Bournemouth and I'm an age where I can just remember the very end of steam.  I don't specifically remember the occasion, but there is photographic evidence of me being taken to an Eastleigh Works open day some time in the early 1960s, complete with steam locomotives under repair.

In my active 'train spotting' days, although steam had finished, it was still an interesting place for me with a lot of variety and activity.  And I still find it interesting today on the rare occasions that I find myself 'back down south' and can find time to call in for old times sake. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Exeter St David’s for me  no contest. 

Although I was there in the steam era I can’t remember a thing because I was so young! I can clearly recall the hydraulic era though.

A fantastic buzz about the place with so many people going on holiday. Trains from far away places in the north too. My mother would be in full panic mode because she hated changing trains, Dad taking it all in his stride leading the way and carrying the cases, while I did my best to write down all the engine numbers as we went. I can just remember seeing the big NBL Warship D600. Happy days!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Does Evercreech Junction qualify?

Certainly a junction with a branch off the mainline to Burnham and Highbridge.  Was Eddington the junction for Glastonbury & Wells, a junction off a junction?

Why; pure S&D at it's finest, with a healthy mix of SR, LMS and GWR loco's... and decent cider nearby ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya
scrumpy for breakfast

7 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Does Evercreech Junction qualify?

Certainly a junction with a branch off the mainline to Burnham and Highbridge.  Was Eddington the junction for Glastonbury & Wells, a junction off a junction?

Why; pure S&D at it's finest, with a healthy mix of SR, LMS and GWR loco's 

What ‘e said

• Like 1

Large junction stations in Western or Southern? There are so many to choose from, especially if small junctions are classed as large! I did not venture very much into southern territory other than Southhampton/Bournmouth/Salisbury areas, and in Western territory you have an abundance of large junctions. Exeter St Davids or Plymouth North Road you have the advantage of Southern stuff as well as Western beauties, but I think it would have to be Cardiff General. Regularly visited when my grandparents lived in Cathays, on journeys to or from Peterborough North (so a connection there!) or trips to Barry Island, Porthcawl, or further afield occasionally. Main line expresses plus the valleys trains, through freight, etc. There was always something going on. I think probably about 1920 would be especially interesting with all the different liveries from the valley lines.

Still well worth a visit today, as I did last summer. It still has the beautiful old tiled subway to the platforms.

Lloyd

• Like 1

Exeter St David's for me. Somewhere I went once on 23rd March 1964, not long before we emigrated to South Australia. My only recollection at the age of 8 was a Bulleid Pacific with a huge dent in the side of its casing. Obviously either a WC or BoB but don't know which.

Andrew

Edited by Woodcock29
Changed wording
  • Like 2