Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Interesting discussions, but not quite as many votes in this poll. Derby won with 4, more than 25% of the total vote.

I don't want to see the old GC miss out, so major junction stations on those lines today. London- Manchester obviously, but I think we could include Manchester-Cleethorpes as well. I suspect I may have missed something, but I'm sure you will remind me if I have.

I not sure that it could be called a ‘major junction’ but I’m going to go for Quainton Road. Change for Brill or Verney Junction.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Can't think of many what I would call "major" junctions on the GC but, for its long-lasting semaphore signals, I'll pick Barnetby and surrounds.

Having made my "sensible" suggestion, I'm now going out on a limb to suggest Grandborough Junction...

• Like 4

I am so unfamiliar with the GC, except for the short section from Weekday Cross to Nottingham Victoria, that for the first time in this quiz, I have had to resort to looking on Railmap online! That shows how few junctions there were on the London Extension. In the South, apart from Woodford Halse, there appears to be nothing like a major junction. Nottingham itself hardly classes as a junction, let alone a major one. Beyond that, most of the GC is an unknown quantity, but looking at the map I see that it joined the ECML both North and South of Doncaster, so I will put forward Doncaster as my 'favourite' GC junction. I have at least been there, just not very much.

Lloyd

Edited by FarrMan
Spelling corrections

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

I am so unfamiliar with the GC, except for the short section from Weekday Cross to Nottingham Victoria, that fir the first time in this quiz, I have had to resort to looking on Railmap online! That shows how few junctions there were on the London Extension. In the South, apart from Woodford Halse, there appears to be nothing like a major junction. Nottinham itself hardly classes as a junction, let alone a major one. Beyond that, most of the GC is an unknown quantity, but looking at the map I see that it joined the ECML both North and South of Doncaster, so I will put forward Doncaster as my 'favourite' GC juntion. I have at least been there, just not very much.

Lloyd

Nottingham Victoria was a very large station Lloyd, with several bays facing both north and south for the local branches which fed into the main line. The junctions were a short distance each side of the station, but nevertheless formed an integral part of the whole thing.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, great northern said:

Nottingham Victoria was a very large station Lloyd, with several bays facing both north and south for the local branches which fed into the main line. The junctions were a short distance each side of the station, but nevertheless formed an integral part of the whole thing.

Gilbert

Point taken, but I will stick with Doncaster.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Nottingham Vic for me.

By the way I've been operating there today, well the model of Nottingham Victoria here in Adelaide. Post war period. I had charge of the north end of the station.

Andrew

Which region are we on this quarter?

• RMweb Gold

I'm going for Nottingham Victoria as it was effectively the terminus for a number of routes as well as being on the GC main line to London.

Anyway, it's the Great Central station I used most in the fifties and sixties as a child and teenager.

David

38 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Nottingham Vic for me.

By the way I've been operating there today, well the model of Nottingham Victoria here in Adelaide. Post war period. I had charge of the north end of the station.

Andrew

I would also back Nottingham Victoria.

Woodcock, plse have you pictures of the model?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Lincoln Central.

I must get 9 extra bonus pints for my suggestion today.

To my everlasting regret, Lincoln was never on a main line though, and though the GC did come there, it was all very much local stuff.  Wouldn't 9 pints be a little too much, by the way? I am grateful though, as I now realise that I must fix, I mean create, a poll which Central would win.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, great northern said:

To my everlasting regret, Lincoln was never on a main line though, and though the GC did come there, it was all very much local stuff.  Wouldn't 9 pints be a little too much, by the way? I am grateful though, as I now realise that I must fix, I mean create, a poll which Central would win.

Gilbert

How about a poll of best Great Central station in Lincoln. It might have a chance then!

Lloyd

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Gilbert

How about a poll of best Great Central station in Lincoln. It might have a chance then!

Lloyd

Sadly Lloyd it wouldn't as the GCR used both Central which was built by the GNR and St Marks which was built by the Midland.

32 minutes ago, great northern said:

But it was on the mainline....Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. Where are Nottingham and London mentioned in the earlier name?

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sadly Lloyd it wouldn't as the GCR used both Central which was built by the GNR and St Marks which was built by the Midland.

But it was on the mainline....Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway. Where are Nottingham and London mentioned in the earlier name?

But the main line was Manchester to Cleethorpes wasn' it?  Lincoln was on branches from Sheffield and Grimsby/Cleethorpes. We had lots of railway, but no main line.

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Which region are we on this quarter?

I don't think you've seen this layout. The owner hasn't been a BRMA member for about 13 years or so.

I think you're thinking of Alan Harrison's London Road which has a large station with clock tower.

I'll find some photos of this layout based on Nottingham Vic.

Andrew

• Thanks 1