Peterborough North

great northern

21 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

The photos aren't the best as its difficult to photograph because its so large. These were taken some years ago now.

The model of the station is fairly representative but a bit shorter and doesn't have the cross overs in the centre three tracks so more than one train can be held in the main platforms and released if necessary. All the bays are there and the goods loops around each outer edge where our mineral trains pass through. The white sections under the roof are parts of the footbridge which was under construction at the time. When this photo was taken quite a few LMS locos were being used prior to more LNER types being acquired by the owner. Once or twice I've run my Valour here but its not used regularly as I don't want graphite all over the wheels, as the owner uses graphite in significant quantities to reduce the need for track cleaning,

The main part of the layout is 40' x 20' but there's an extra part of the shed added on the side at one end which is 20' x 12' making it 32' wide at that end.

Andrew

1895145880_DSC_0953pssmall.jpg.d5fc1873901c72dbf8693a4e31a994c1.jpg

325875044_DSC_0928ps1.jpg.47ec498008894af2b61aaafe29dbbfbf.jpg

That looks to be an amazing layout in size and content.  I would guess the owner had help from a group of friends, or is it a club?

• RMweb Premium

I have the Nottingham Victoria signal diagram drawn by had by a Wiham Club member who is sadly no longer with us from when he was a trainee signalman. From back in the days when signalmen had to know the signalling in the area where they were employed and the best way to learn was draw it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just to be a bit difficult it’s Sheffield Vic for me.  Some excellent period images of the station plus I’ve been lucky enough to visit the city a couple of times.

cheers

Tony

9 hours ago, great northern said:

To my everlasting regret, Lincoln was never on a main line though, and though the GC did come there, it was all very much local stuff.  Wouldn't 9 pints be a little too much, by the way? I am grateful though, as I now realise that I must fix, I mean create, a poll which Central would win.

Nothing wrong with Lincoln Central . I’ve spent many a happy hour there. I’d vote for it . What about a competition for “Best Station that looked like a mainLine one even if it wasn’t on one “ or “Station with the most inconveniently situated level crossing(s) at each end”  . The possibilities are endless. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2750Papyrus said:

That looks to be an amazing layout in size and content.  I would guess the owner had help from a group of friends, or is it a club?

The layout has been built by one person over the last 20 years, most of it in the first 10-12 years. One of our operators, who is a retired electrical engineer built the control panels (five or six) and did the wiring, its DC, as he has done on another 14-15 layouts here in Adelaide including most of my layout.

Andrew 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

I don't think you've seen this layout. The owner hasn't been a BRMA member for about 13 years or so.

I think you're thinking of Alan Harrison's London Road which has a large station with clock tower.

I'll find some photos of this layout based on Nottingham Vic.

Andrew

Ah, in that case I haven't and I was. Perhaps next time!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Another well supported poll,  Nottingham Victoria at the top with 6 votes, Barnetby and Sheffield Victoria joint second with 3.

Today, the West Coast main line, from just north of Euston to Crewe, but we will also include the lines to Manchester Birmingham and Liverpool. Plenty to choose from there.

• RMweb Gold

I’ll go with Crewe for this poll since it was on our Merrymaker excursion route from Hull to Shrewsbury on the 17th April, 1977. Just so big there, and full of interest. Sadly I didn’t get to take any photo’s.

Rob.

Ooh - even more 'home territory', especially the North West bit.

Crewe's the obvious one but I'll go for Stockport Edgeley, mainly because it's closest to my place of origin and I know it very well (following pic a 'screen grab' from this Ebay ad.

1246045768_stockportedgeley.jpg.aa2b80c698c0c14fc3b60e87fb9f2ebc.jpg

Definitely a junction as the lines to Buxton and Cheadle diverge to the south at Edgeley junctions and the line to Guide Bridge at the north at Heaton Norris - all lines still in operation today. In its heyday, bay platforms at both ends of each of its island platforms, as part evidenced above - nowadays, just the north bay on the down platform remains (the others have been filled in) but it has gained a new platform over on the eastern side - Platform 0! Remarkably, the mechanical box seen on the left is still operational to this day.

Associated loco depot (Stockport Edgeley 9B) and to the north, one of the country's railway wonders of its day - the 22 arch Stockport viaduct. At the time of its construction, it was the world's largest viaduct and remains one of the country's biggest brick structures to this day.

Slightly 'off piste' but just to mention Stockport's other station at Tiviot Dale (sadly no more), part of the CLC empire, the lines to which once passed under the viaduct. Fascinating area south Manchester with a bewildering array of lines all criss-crossing each other, a little simplified these days.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Pennistone.

I am sure you know that isn't quite the right spelling! 

WCML - maybe Stafford? In our early, naughty days Sherry would meet me at the station there. [She had had a bad day once in mid-2004, so I jumped on a train to go and see her. Her colleagues were open-mouthed that I would travel from distant London at the drop of a hat.] And it is a busy crossroads. But I think it has to be Bletchley for me too, being the only place I have worked north of Watford. I built a small office complex in the old station, including a Control, and was there about 18 months - before Hatfield happened, the industry imploded and jobs became fewer, so I was relocated to Euston.

The Bletchley flyover dominates the place, as a white-elephant  sans pareil in mistimed railway planning, with the new marshalling yard at Swanbourne it should have served doing very little business at all. Signs of renewal are promising, right now, but who knows where the railways will be in the wake of Covid?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1