Peterborough North

great northern

55 minutes ago, great northern said:

Today, WCML from Crewe to Carlisle, and we mustn't forget the Midland from Leeds northwards, so that's included too.

In which case, for me, it can only be Carlisle itself, the greatest junction station of them all (outrageous!)

image.png.6c375ee877942875baaeb1a68875545b.png

In some respects it was actually a terminus (although trains of course did run through). The tracks of no less than seven pre-grouping companies started / finished at Carlisle yet, in a remarkable piece of 19th century co-operation (when you consider the 'nonsense' that went on elsewhere round the country), the Carlisle Citadel Station Agreement saw to it that all used just the one station we know today. Is there any other station in the country with such an evocative tag to its name - 'citadel'?  William Tite's striking Tudor and Gothic design reflects the the border city's colourful and turbulent past.

The kaleidoscope of colours in pre-grouping days must have been something to behold, from the plum n spilt milk of the LNWR, to the striking blue of the Caledonian and the glorious crimson lake of the Midland Railway,

Each of the companies established its own goods facilities and loco depots around the city - outside of London, was there anywhere else with so many loco depots within such a compact space? Upperby (Lancaster & Carlisle, then LNWR), Kingmoor (Caledonian), Durran Hill (Midland), Canal (North British), London Road (NER) and Currock (G&SWR and Maryport & Carlisle). And being athwart several trunk lines, these depots either housed or hosted the pride of the lines. By the 1930s, Gresley and Stanier Pacifics were rubbing shoulders and continued to do so until the 1960s (one of the few places in the country where the two met). Almost all trains running through changed locos at Carlisle.

The proliferation of goods yards saw to it that there was a constant stream of trip workings, shuttling traffic between them, using the various arrangements of goods lines around the city.

Must make a model of it some day ...

PS - there's a smashing model shop a cock's stride from the station entrance!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1

Quite a lot to choose from again, but this time it has to be Preston. Have changed there a couple of times in the past two years onto Lytham St Annes trains, and quite a few times in the past, too. I remember one occasion when we stopped at Croston for a few days, and I left some luggage in the left luggage there, including a second hand tailgate for a Ford Fiesta! The old fellow that took it had a problem classifying it!

Lloyd

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I don't know any of these places, due to a massive gap in my knowledge of anything other than malachite green.

Does this place quality?

I suspect that you may know a little more than you are prepared to let on, dear chap. Thanks for that clip, which I had forgotten. She was hilarious, wasn't she?

• Agree 2

Yes, I know what you mean.

Just been up my railway room to take some pictures and it got hot so I was only in there for 30mins.

Mind you I don't think this lot helped!!!!

Twin ceiling lights on

Twin double LED lights to pelmet

and the 150w daylight lighting rig.....(and I find you have to leave in on for about 10mins to warm up and give max illumination)

Got hot.

IMG_1879.jpg.9b46082ea6f74b6c9eff6de8c732f53a.jpg

Things we do for are thread followers!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

GN - just a suggestion: Can we do Midland north of Leeds as a separate poll? Afterall, we did the southern section of the Midland separate from the southern section of the WCML. Places like Skipton and Hellifield have much merit but they're not getting a look in!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

GN - just a suggestion: Can we do Midland north of Leeds as a separate poll? Afterall, we did the southern section of the Midland separate from the southern section of the WCML. Places like Skipton and Hellifield have much merit but they're not getting a look in!

Point taken, we'll do that tomorrow. It's all Carlisle's fault though, hogging most of the votes.

• RMweb Premium

I'll vote for Preston.  It always strikes me as quite a grand station, about the first one you come to on the WCML (gets hat and runs for cover!) and almost continental in its layout like some of the big Dutch stations for example.