Peterborough North

great northern

G'Day Folks

I'm going for Carlisle, used to have a wonderful time working brand new 156's from Leeds to Carlisle, and have enough time to walk to a great little bakery 5 minutes away, alas, it closed a couple of months before I came to Australia, almost 30 years ago now.

manna

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A runaway winner, Carlisle with 12 votes. Hardly anywhere else got a look in. As requested therefore, today will feature the Midland route from Leeds to Carlisle, which does of course feature, among other things, a rather spectacular and famous stretch of line which I'm sure we all know about.

So, no votes for Carlisle again please, its had its moment of glory, but I'll widen it a bit and say junction stations on the main line, rather than just large ones, which I suppose turns on the definition of large anyway.

Well, I was going to nominate Hellifield as it was knocking on the door of being a 'major junction', with the line across to Lancaster / Carnforth and the L&Y route to Blackburn and Manchester. Interestingly, my 'Hills of the North' research tells me that the latter was part of an alternative 'West Coast' route north, using now closed lines from Boars Head (Wigan) via Chorley to join the Preston-Blackburn line and hence on to Hellifield and the S&C to reach Carlisle. Via this means, the slower moving goods traffic, less sensitive goods traffic could be kept clear of the Shap route.

HOWEVER

If any junction station location is up for grabs then it has to be the one and only:

Garsdale (formerly 'Hawes Junction'),

On the very roof of England, its attraction (for me) is its wild and remote location. Beautiful on a clear, high summer's day (you do get the occasional one, trust me!) but a harsh and bitter place in the depth of a winter's storm. It has also had its fair share of infamy ('they've all got it in for me!') over the years, from the legend of the spinning turntable to the dreadful events of Xmas Eve 1910, a salutary lesson in railway operations if ever there was one.

It's been 35 years since I encountered the place and my ambition of creating a model version of the place is now, finally, being realised.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hawes Junction/Garsdale for me too, with that infamous turntable ‘incident’ which I always enjoy reading about, but also the big crash of 1910 too. So quite a bit of history to go with the place.

Rob.

• Like 1