Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, great northern said:

I believe there may be a slight problem with that choice Clive. Unless it has been moved northwards lately, Carlisle seems to be firmly placed in England.

bu88er I have been rumbled.

Kilmarnock

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Been sitting here with a mug of tea, and some "seedless easy peelers". Have so far spat out six seeds, but not yet swallowed any, so I'm unlikely to give birth to any clementines.

Here's another WD and a mixed goods, again from an elevated position.

359931739_690152.JPG.1bc7b77db01bb318ead72c55a8d07c3e.JPG

Now I shall set up for the start of another sequence.

I rather like that angle, Gilbert. It's surprising how a movement just a tad one way or another can make a difference.

The double slip ... ahem ... appears to be out of correspondence however.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I rather like that angle, Gilbert. It's surprising how a movement just a tad one way or another can make a difference.

The double slip ... ahem ... appears to be out of correspondence however.

I nearly always forget to set the slip so that it doesn't allow access to the main, except when there is a movement which requires it, but I thought I had done it this time. My head spins when I look at it though.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Not so many contributors yesterday, and only five candidates for the title. Perth 5 Inverness 3 was the final score.

Today we are on the East side of Scotland, so major junction stations between Berwick and Aberdeen on the ECML, but we will also include the Waverley route, which should not be left out of any poll. The criteria for that lovely line will include any junction station that had an engine shed, however small.

• RMweb Gold

Riccarton Junction for me too.  Was going to go for Montrose but the junction was not at the station.  Great recording by Peter Handford  of an A3 departing there and climbing Up past Usan Signal Box, but then lots of great recordings of his on the Waverley Route too.

• Like 1

Ooh - glad Riccarton Junction is getting the votes, another part of my 'grand scheme' centring on Carlisle: another vote for the location from me as well.

2081961499_Riccartongeneralview3.jpg.0540b2bf361f977346933640edbea157.jpg

1130711172_Riccartondisusedstationssite.jpg.300d04073e03043f7cff8332944048a3.jpg (from disused stations website)

If Garsdale is remote then Riccarton is positively outlandish! Over two miles away from the nearest road, its attendant village (seen in the second pic) was totally reliant on the railway for everything (the loco Co-op was in one of the station buildings). The occupants were all railway families I believe; I have a book written by Chris Milligan who was the last resident to leave in 1965 (I think it was). He was a platelayer, responsible with his gang for 'his' stretch of the railway. I think it was partly for this reason that there was a surprisingly large yard alongside the station as a base for the engineering materials and facilities to support such activity.

I go on (at length some times) about the 4 miles of 1-in-75 that is Shap bank but Riccarton was four-fifths of the way up an unrelenting 10 miles of 1-in-75, much of it on tight, sinuous curves. Absolutely agree with trw1089 re Peter Handford's recordings under 'The railway to Riccarton'. My favourite part is a particular sequence at Steele Road with two V2-hauled freights. The first (accompanied by owls hooting) is master of its job and confidently strides past with its lovely six-eight time exhaust beat rhythm. The second (accompanied by the dawn chorus) is the exact opposite! So 'off beat' that the four-five-six part of the exhaust is almost lost completely. Battling along at little more than 10-15 mph it goes into an almighty slip and virtually stalls, the driver catching it just in time as it resumes its uncertain, staggering progress, only half way up the bank at that point. Wonderful stuff!

I once walked to Riccarton Junction with my Dad, along the trackbed from Steele Road in 1983, ballast all still in position, as if the tracks had only been removed a few days before. When we got to Riccarton, I don't think I've ever experienced such quiet in all my life. Not even the merest sound of a birdcall; complete silence.

(I understand that subsequent forestry activities have rather changed the atmosphere of the place in the intervening years)

What an amazing location. I look forward to doing modelling justice to it in due course.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1