Peterborough North

great northern

17 hours ago, great northern said:

Today we are on the East side of Scotland, so major junction stations between Berwick and Aberdeen on the ECML, but we will also include the Waverley route, which should not be left out of any poll. The criteria for that lovely line will include any junction station that had an engine shed, however small.

We play by the adjudicator's rules ... and, yes, Riccarton had an engine shed

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

We play by the adjudicator's rules ... and, yes, Riccarton had an engine shed

Thank you Graham. The Waverley had quite a few lovely junction stations, but most of them could not be described as large, so that's why I changed the criteria. I hoped that places like Hawick and St Boswells might get a look in, but they didn't.

• RMweb Premium

What a poll that wasn't.  The middle of nowhere got 10 votes out of 12!  That puts Riccarton Junction in good shape for the eventual "poll of polls", when all this finally comes to an end.

Today we start to head south again along the ECML. Junction stations between Edinburgh and York. There aren't that many major ones, so any will qualify, big or small.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, great northern said:

Thank you Graham. The Waverley had quite a few lovely junction stations, but most of them could not be described as large, so that's why I changed the criteria. I hoped that places like Hawick and St Boswells might get a look in, but they didn't.

Had I known Riccarton would be quite so popular I might have mentioned another favourite of mine, Reedsmouth Junction, on the Border Counties line en route to ... Riccarton Junction (fancy that!). Very distinctive tall signal box in the vee of the junction and had its own loco depot.

Anyway, we're moving on ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I thought about Darlington but will vote for Newcastle as well.  The whole station area and railway layout is so impressive with the high Tyne bridges and junctions.  But it also strikes me that the station itself is remarkable and an indication of how quickly railway technology progressed in the 19th century when you consider that it was only built 25 years after the Stockton & Darlington opened, but is still fit for purpose today.

I'll be the first to mention Darlington. Impressive overall roof (that rather plays second fiddle to York) and of course the hub of the NER's loco building empire.

Depending on how strict we are re ECML, Bishop Auckland's unusual triangular junction station (as was) is worthy of mention - it was an alternative Darlington-Durham leg of the ECML in the mid-1800s and was still being used as a diversionary route until the mid-1960s. From here, you could catch a train along no less than six different routes (Darlington, Barnard Castle, Ferryhill, Wearhead, Consett and Durham). West Auckland shed (51F) just round the corner on the Barnard Castle route.

image.png.b1f1fe155d0c74ca4c63a03a2f83fa2c.png

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

I'll be the first to mention Darlington. Impressive overall roof (that rather plays second fiddle to York) and of course the hub of the NER's loco building empire.

Depending on how strict we are re ECML, Bishop Auckland's unusual triangular junction station (as was) is worthy of mention - it was the original route of the ECML for the first 20 odd years or so and was still being used as a diversionary route until the mid-1960s. 

Really? The East Coast trains ran via what we now call the Leamside route from Hoggersgate/Tursdale junction until 1872 (?), Anyway until the YNB (later NER) opened the Bishop Auckland branch (1852 ?) Bishop was an S&D station.

Also, despite recent claims by ill-informed politicians, the main NER locomotive works until 1910 was Gateshead.

All in favour though of Bishop being an ECML diversionary route. It's what my own railway relies upon for more 'exciting' trains!

PS - thank you for the nice picture!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

York, always busy and very impressive overall roof, many visits there when the children were younger and we had monthly work meetings in the hotel for many years so lunch times were either at the station or wondering around the NRM. York, so many memories.

Edited by jollysmart
correction

31 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Really? The East Coast trains ran via what we now call the Leamside route from Hoggersgate/Tursdale junction until 1872 (?),

Fair do's! I was really thinking of the Darlington-Durham section, the route via Bish effectively being bypassed by the opening of the more direct route through Ferryhill in 1872. I have amended my post above.