Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

A poll where nearly everyone thought big.  Darlington 4 votes, York 6 but Newcastle well ahead with 9.

There are/were of course lots of other interesting junction stations on that long stretch of the ECML, nearly half of it in fact, so let's consider those today. You may not have visited most of them, I certainly haven't, but will have seen photographs and read about them. So, if you could climb into your time machine, and take a stopping train from Waverley Newcastle or York, where would you like to have gone. Somewhere with a branch line connection, perhaps a small engine shed, somewhere with lovely scenery, or some grime if you prefer that.

A few suggestions, but there were more than this. Drem, Tweedmouth, Alnmouth, Morpeth, Durham, Northallerton.

• RMweb Gold

Alnmouth for me. An unspoilt corner of the UK. Late first wife Deb had paternal connections, as I've probably mentioned before. With her dad, out for a New Year's Morning pint in a pub in Alnmouth, after blowing the cobwebs out a bit on the shore. And one year we followed the Percy Hunt. Then home for lunch at Oaky Balks, Alnwick with Great Aunt Doris, sometime skoolma'am on Holy Island. Of course Alnwick station is very much preserved.

And in. the heady days of Privatisation, our Tuesday afternoon train from Edinburgh to York, part of our monthly World Tour, stopped at Alnmouth, where my client/boss, who had been Area Civil Engineer at Preston, always had an urge to get off and explore.   

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, great northern said:

A poll where nearly everyone thought big.  Darlington 4 votes, York 6 but Newcastle well ahead with 9.

There are/were of course lots of other interesting junction stations on that long stretch of the ECML, nearly half of it in fact, so let's consider those today. You may not have visited most of them, I certainly haven't, but will have seen photographs and read about them. So, if you could climb into your time machine, and take a stopping train from Waverley Newcastle or York, where would you like to have gone. Somewhere with a branch line connection, perhaps a small engine shed, somewhere with lovely scenery, or some grime if you prefer that.

A few suggestions, but there were more than this. Drem, Tweedmouth, Alnmouth, Morpeth, Durham, Northallerton.

Now my second choice comes into play - Alne.

• RMweb Gold

I'll go for Morpeth today - but my time machine would have deposited me there a very long time ago, perhaps pre WW1.

Reasons:

I might just have stayed on the staion and watched the trains go by.

At one time I could have caught a local train from there to go home at the end of the day.

From Morpeth I could have travelled to Rothbury or gone to Reedsmouth and then to Riccarton Junction or Hexham, all on the North British Railway.

Or I could have explored the Blyth and Tyne system, starting by catching a train to Bedlington.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well, for this poll I’m going with Alnmouth. It brings back the memory of a school excursion train in June, 1973. It was 47 hauled  from Hull, after connecting from Beverley in a four car class 104 unit. We went round via Church Fenton to York, and then the ECML to Alnmouth. I recall  the paint flaking off the maroon Mk1 TSO we had been in, and a Gresley buffet car on getting off the train at Alnmouth. It was then a transfer to an MW bus for a trip to Holy Island. So plenty of good memories from that day. 

I'm taking the train along the Tyne Valley as far as Hexham, then wandering up the Border Counties route as far as ...

image.png.f47dce8b841ae901924c4f57c9b0eca6.png

Reedsmouth Junction. Turn left for Riccarton; right for Scotsgap and Morpeth. One of them places where nothing happened for three hours ... then it all happened! I have a photo of a 1950s half day excursion stopping here - to admire the station gardens! How bucolic is that?

Many of these structures still stand, the lofty signalbox having had a 'Grand Designs' jobby done in it to create someone's house. And the engine shed is still in use as a sort of farmer's barn (apparently).

• Like 10
  • Agree 1