Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Surprisingly, The GE didn't attract a lot of interest.:o  Only 11 votes, and Cambridge won with three of them.

So, we had an excursion to the west and south, went up the WCML in stages, came back down the ECML into the north east, and then across to the GE. That just leaves one more major junction poll, which is ECML from outer London to Shaftholme Junction. I'm going to specify what I consider to be "major" this time, but the rest will get a look in later.

So today choose from the following:- Hatfield, Hitchin, Huntingdon North, Peterborough North, Grantham, Newark Northgate, Retford and Doncaster. Those are the ones that get bold and capitals in my WTT, so the authorities obviously classed them as most important. very difficult choices to be made, so I'm sure we'd all like to know what clinched the stand out station for you.

As you say, a difficult choice this one. Doncaster and Retford obviously have a lot going for them, and personally Grantham (where I changed for Nottingham Victoria) and Peterborough North (Which I could almost see from my bedroom window in the 1960's, and could certainly hear). But I think on balance it has to be Peterborough North, with its GNR, MR and GER connections, and the start of quite a number of interesting journeys.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium

Donny.

When TAG Models were just around the corner from the station, I could get off on my way home from Kings Cross, stock up on bits (and sometimes a second-hand model - I noticed today that one of my Replica Modified Halls cost me GBP 29.95, which would have been in the late 80s) and back to the station in time for the next train.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Donny.

When TAG Models were just around the corner from the station, I could get off on my way home from Kings Cross, stock up on bits (and sometimes a second-hand model - I noticed today that one of my Replica Modified Halls cost me GBP 29.95, which would have been in the late 80s) and back to the station in time for the next train.

What excuse did you give to the then Mrs Sainty for being late and a pile goodies tucked under your arm?

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

What excuse did you give to the then Mrs Sainty for being late and a pile goodies tucked under your arm?

That was long before the present Lady St Enodoc.

The first didn't take too much notice - she was known to buy me a loco for birthday or Christmas from time to time (as, too, is Veronica) - although it is true that I used to carry a large briefcase into which a red, blue or green box would slip quite easily...

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

22 hours ago, great northern said:

Thanks Phil. I shall do that when I work out what the final format will be, and how I'm going to do it. The trouble is it looks good from some angles and horrid from others.

That's the trouble with backscenes as they are taken from just one angle and we take shots from every angle :wacko:

Could only be Grantham.

I expect Paul (Flying Fox) is tired today after another Bridge Strike on Wednesday in Grantham, just near the station.

Then network Rail are closing two bridges for  3 months. each with only a short break at Xmas. By the way it's only 141 days to XMAS !!!  :devil: