Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Country junctions.... Even if were just to get most of the readers of this thread scurrying for their railway atlases, the devil in me wants to vote for St Dennis Junction or Burngullow Junction, possibly even Tolcarn Junction. 

However, common sense prevails and my vote goes to Par, still seeing the same kind of traffic that it always did - ie buckets and spades and china clay.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

These southern polls definitely aren't as popular. Just eleven votes in all, of which 4 were for Halwill Junction, which was neither over or under Par, which also got 4. You shouldn't be surprised that I couldn't resist that, those of you that understand golf.

Wales. How about that? Lots of lovely country junctions there too. Spelling might be a bit difficult, I suppose, but at least you won't have to pronounce them.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

I will go for Treforest Junction. Barry and Taff Vale joining, trains splitting on the running lines, and the Cardiff Railway all but and very briefly actually joining. Think of the variety in pre-grouping days, though admittedly mainly coal downhill and empties uphill. Another possibility would be Cardiff East, where all the valleys railways met the GWR, but that is hardly rural.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It has to be Dovey Junction for me - and look out for the Ospreys' nest on the way from Machynlleth, then the oyster Catchers' nest on the ballast shoulder along the north side of the estuary towards Aberdovey.

The alternative for me would have been Barmouth Junction.

Regards

chris H

• RMweb Premium

Still doesn't - just a footpath. Doesn't see many passengers boarding or alighting - unless they are changing from one coast route to the other without going into Machynlleth.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
Spelling
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Very occasionally it's worth the walk but generally not so.  18May 2016 DRS37 + Caroline on a Jolly Boys Outing Management Train touring the Cambrian lines, piloted by 97.302 with its ERTMS equipment approaches Dovey Junction on its way to Machynlleth.  It had to go this way so the 97 could run round and then lead Machynlleth-Aberystwyth.

rev 2Z02 Dovey Junc 18May16.jpg

• Like 8