Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

More interest in Wales. Three main contenders, but lonely Dovey Junction won with 5, so maybe that will cheer it up a bit.

Today, let's try Dorset Hampshire Sussex and Kent.

I think it has to be Basingstoke for me (or as we called it ‘Blazingsmoke’). To be more precise the stretch between Basingstoke and Battledown Flyover.

Many happy days there as a young spotter with trains coming off the western, down from Waterloo or freights from Feltham, then going down to the Weymouth or Exeter lines. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't agree more Trevor, and I understand why you would chose Battledown to Basingstoke. The Reading - Basingstoke line added so much to the variety to be seen in the area and Basingstoke shed often has WR loco's on and in the latter days LMR too.

To add to the nostalgia, my brother and I stopped by at the shed on our way to school each morning by the fence behind the shed yard to see what was "on". In 1964/5 I had access to a footplate pass (apprenticeship) and remember a wonderful run one evening in August on the footplate of Belgium Marine on Southampton to Waterloo express. The driver tapping me on the shoulder coming down the flyover and pointing at the speedo - we were doing 100+ mph.

Happy days and all that!

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 4

Ah the late, great and sadly-missed Bob Symes! 

When I was about 14/15, I had the pleasure of being a member of a model railway club at which he was a regular visitor in the Norbury area - I believed he had family either there or in South Croydon, My parents were quite happy for me to climb aboard the train from Purley to Norbury Junction and walk unaccompanied to the club then return home in the late evening.

He instilled in all of us a keen eye for flexitrack and flowing curves - an excellent skill to invest in a teenager!

A couple of years later I returned to boarding school and had to give up the club visits, but formed my own model railway club at the school - we only ever had about five members, but it was an excellent refuge from sports days, and the school paid for all the track, baseboards etc!

Happy days. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ash Vale, I remember being taken there when I was about 3 or 4 to watch the trains. I must have been getting on my nan's nerves and Mum thought it best to get me out the way. Nan was very poorly at the time but I didn't really understand.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ash vale for me. My brother was at Keogh Barracks at the Defence Medical training centre i took his car down for him and got the train back from Ash Vale. It was from the Guardroom there that he rang with the news that Lady Di was dead when he was on guard duty on that occasion. 

I always try to pick a station that has a connection however tenuous for these Polls 

I had to look up Dorset and Hampshire in the dictionary as it's not really my part of the world ...

Apparently, Yeovil Junction is - or was - just in Dorset, although the town itself is in Zomerzet. Apparently, although Yeovil Junction was the - er - junction and, although it is the site of a present day heritage centre, complete with turntable, the actual shed facilities were at the nearby Yeovil Town station, making for some interesting movements to and from the junction.

So I'd like to nomiate - slightly tentatively - nominate Yeovil (Junction) and immediate environs.

• Like 1

I didn't know the area in their glory days having only moved to Dorset in 2004. I like the idea of the stretch involving Battledown flyover however, my suggestion is Brockenhurst. Towards the end of steam it would have seen the last steam trains between Bournemouth and Weymouth as well as being the junction for the line to Lymington Pier. After that the Cromptons and the 4tcs as well as being a lovely part of the world.

There, I didn't mention East Anglia once!

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, David Bell said:

I have to go with Horsted Keynes. I remember watching the late Bob Symes modelling it in a programme which must have aired in the seventies. It was this that inspired me to up the realism of my model railway. 

Yep, I’ll go with Horstead as well. Mainly because I’ve probably been there more than any other junction. My Happy Place.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A four way tie today. 2 votes each for Lewes, Basingstoke to Battledown, Ash Vale and Horsted Keynes. This means that Clive has voted for a winner. I bet he didn't intend to.

Moving a bit further North, let's explore Gloucestershire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire. In fact, add in Oxfordshire as well. Lots of lovely country junctions in that part of the country, and on the Welsh border.

• Like 1