Peterborough North

great northern

4 hours ago, great northern said:

Today, let's try the West Midlands. Very industrial, but there were some country branches to be found. Anywhere between Banbury in the South to Manchester in the North, and across to the Welsh border.  I know that isn't all classified as West Midlands, but who cares.

A pretty liberal interpretation of 'West Midlands' Gilbert but as 'bucolic Black Country' is a bit of an oxymoron, I can see where you're coming from.

How about BEWDLEY? Obviously very well-known these days but once a four-way junction with branches to Stourport and perhaps the more country-ish route towards Cleobury Mortimer and Tenbury Wells, which crossed the river Severn outside Bewdley via the Dowles bridge, the remains (piers) of which can still be seen from today's SVR trains.

Or, as an alternative within your broad area (I think - it's certainly in Staffordshire, rather than yesterday's Derbyshire), how about WATERHOUSES, which could be regarded as an end-on junction with the delightful narrow gauge Leek and Manifold Railway.

image.png.6be2b43f3cf872b25219a4a8711adba3.png

A great old railway to explore via the cycle path now along its route, the L&M was built to the standard loading gauge and used transporter wagons to reduce the double-handling of goods, some of its intermediate stations having short lengths of standard gauge onto which such vehicles could be unloaded. One such vehicle is seen loaded up poking out of the distinctive station canopy in this view.

Now there's a modelling challenge!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Slightly more votes for this poll, but still only 8 that qualified. The good news though is that Clive has at last backed a winner, even though he claims not to know where it is.:clapping_mini: Hatton was the only place to get two votes. As we are well into the afternoon, I'll leave the next station poll till tomorrow. However, I now have to start taking photos for a future article, so you might be able to help me by suggesting some of your preferred views of PN , if you would be so kind.

• Like 1

There are some classic views throughout the thread Gilbert, i am glad that i dont have to choose some. Obviously it depends on the subject of your article to what illustrates your wordings. 

I particularly like those shots of leaving the station or passing under the signals 

All the best in your writings

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, great northern said:

Slightly more votes for this poll, but still only 8 that qualified. The good news though is that Clive has at last backed a winner, even though he claims not to know where it is.:clapping_mini: Hatton was the only place to get two votes. As we are well into the afternoon, I'll leave the next station poll till tomorrow. However, I now have to start taking photos for a future article, so you might be able to help me by suggesting some of your preferred views of PN , if you would be so kind.

The fuddle yard and the cassette system.

Gilbert

Views from Spittal Bridge - so lifelike.

Trains in platform 6 looking towards Crescent Bridge - always delightful.

South end of platform 2 with train waiting to leave

North end of Platform 3 with train waiting to leave.

Train arriving at North end of Platform 2

Station forecourt (all angles)

Under the canopy from South end.

DE yard.

There are so many that are so lifelike. The only ones that I would suggest avoiding are those showing a train south of Crescent Bridge - because of the unrealistic curve.

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Slightly more votes for this poll, but still only 8 that qualified. The good news though is that Clive has at last backed a winner, even though he claims not to know where it is.:clapping_mini: Hatton was the only place to get two votes.

On 17/08/2020 at 12:33, LNER4479 said:

... how about WATERHOUSES, which could be regarded as an end-on junction with the delightful narrow gauge Leek and Manifold Railway.

On 17/08/2020 at 13:57, Market65 said:

I’m also going with the lovely Waterhouses. Just so delightful and very modellable. 

AHEM!! Excuse me, Mr Adjudicator - review called for!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Waterhouses (Staffs) was a terminus for standard gauge. I am sure my mate Gilbert wouldn't have included a toy town railway.

Look I chose the winning location for once, can I please bask in that glory for a few hours. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

But you can't have two bites at the cherry Graham. Your first choice was Bewdley, and duly registered as such.  You later said "As an alternative, Waterhouses." If people give more than one name I always take the first, unless the post makes it clear which one they are settling on.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The thing that makes PN stand out for me is the coaching stock. You have individually great coaches when seen in close up, and such attention to detail in putting rakes together, too. So I'll vote for any view that shows off coaches -- either close-up or as a long rake.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Bloodnok said:

The thing that makes PN stand out for me is the coaching stock. You have individually great coaches when seen in close up, and such attention to detail in putting rakes together, too. So I'll vote for any view that shows off coaches -- either close-up or as a long rake.

I definitely agree with that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, great northern said:

But you can't have two bites at the cherry Graham. Your first choice was Bewdley, and duly registered as such.  You later said "As an alternative, Waterhouses." If people give more than one name I always take the first, unless the post makes it clear which one they are settling on.

Rats! I shall be more careful in future ... and keep my crystal ball handy:pardon:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, great northern said:

It is certainly different. As a pure record shot, what do you think?

A nice overview of the layout, from an unusual angle.  The lighting is 'interesting' (not unpleasant) presumably due to shooting towards the light.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I like it, the wagons frame it nicely. It may look better with something on the main to distract the eye from the empty space behind the line of wagons.

The views I really like are:

Something on the Up arriving at the station viewed through the roof

A down train south of Crescent Bridge viewed from between the trees (like the WD shot seen about a week ago)

Shiny A4s at platform 6, going north (I think there was a shot like that seen recently)

Jamie

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1