Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I like Potters Bar, but I'm going for Hadley Wood, you never knew what was coming through those tunnels !!

manna

I used to cycle to Hadley Wood but to spread it around a little I'm going to pick my local main line station when I was growing up, Mill Hill Broadway, in the days when the Midland Pullman was the highlight of any visit - almost as much as the (very) occasional 9F on a freight.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Today's poll. Preferring to be to be near the sea or the countryside I know little of the London(ish) area. However, I remember a picture of Hadley Wood in an old Ian Allan Locospotters AnnuaI that I was fond of as a child. So my vote will go there. Hadley Wood please Gilbert.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Class 127s , Peaks, class 25s ......ah bliss.

We had all of those at Mill Hill Broadway too of course, but after a while they got a bit samey.

A Derby/Rolls Royce suburban unit going down the hill from Elstree Tunnel towards Mill Hill with the speedo needle quivering around 70mph and power still applied was quite exciting though.

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

We had all of those at Mill Hill Broadway too of course, but after a while they got a bit samey.

A Derby/Rolls Royce suburban unit going down the hill from Elstree Tunnel towards Mill Hill with the speedo needle quivering around 70mph and power still applied was quite exciting though.

The filming was done about the same time as I was seriously trainspotting at Bedford so it is a touch of nostalgia for me. 

I think most places when viewing the day to day scene could get a bit samey as much as us modellers like to have a great variety of locos and units.

• Agree 1

Again, not my area. However, given the criteria, I'm going to fly the flag for the LNWR / LMS and nominate.

South Kenton (just north of)

This was my Dad's favourite early 1950s trainspotting location and he actually made his way to Northwick Park. As well as a heady diet of the cream of the WCML motive power (Duchesses, Princess Royals, Royal Scots, Jubilees, etc), this is where the GC / Metropolitan route crossed over (still does) so he could also witness trains on the GCR heading out of London, Leicester-allocated A3s such as 'Tracery', 'Prince Palatine' and indeed none other than 'Flying Scotsman' being regulars.

An honourable mention also for the ex-LNWR Oerlikon electrics on the 650v DV Watford lines. Never mind four tracks, this was 10 tracks(!), 6 on the WCML and 4 on the GE / Met. This picture shows the location, the GC/Met on the bridge behind the train.

Oh for a time capsule!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

How about Brentwood on the GE mainline. Starting point for nearly all my journeys from childhood until I moved to south Essex in the 90s. All those Norwich expresses suburban and freight trains. A fantastic range of motive power through the ages including Clauds, B12s, streamlined B17s, Britannias, J15s, J17s, J19s, class 31s, 37s and 47s. Also all sorts of EMUs including the LNER designed 306s then the Clacton units to name but a few. All had to tackle Brentwood bank once through the station. Have to admit I lost track of the line once I moved away.

The station was widened to four tracks in the thirties and as far as I know still retains a part of the original ECR station buildings as well as the LNER rebuild. Should be within the required distance of London.

Martyn

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, mullie said:

How about Brentwood on the GE mainline. Starting point for nearly all my journeys from childhood until I moved to south Essex in the 90s. All those Norwich expresses suburban and freight trains. A fantastic range of motive power through the ages including Clauds, B12s, streamlined B17s, Britannias, J15s, J17s, J19s, class 31s, 37s and 47s. Also all sorts of EMUs including the LNER designed 306s then the Clacton units to name but a few. All had to tackle Brentwood bank once through the station. Have to admit I lost track of the line once I moved away.

The station was widened to four tracks in the thirties and as far as I know still retains a part of the original ECR station buildings as well as the LNER rebuild. Should be within the required distance of London.

Martyn

Hi Martyn

I did consider Shenfield and Hutton at the top of the hill, But ditched my GER loyalty to that of the MR for today's poll.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clear winner of the poll was Potters Bar, with 5 votes. No-one specified whether they were voting for the old station or the new, but I won't disqualify it.:jester:

Today you can choose from the whole of Wales, just country stations on a through line or branch, single or double track.

I will go for Ffestiniog Railway, Blaenau Ffestiniog station. Local station for my great grandfather (who I never met), who worked in the slate quarries there, producing the main purpose of the line.

Also, because the FR nearly caused me not to exist! My grandparents got married 104 years ago. Before they were married, they once went for a walk through the tunnel on the FR (now I understand bypassed) having checked the passenger timetable. A freight train came through while they were in the tunnel, and they just had room to squeeze in at the side to avoid being crushed. They both lived well into their 90's.

Lloyd

• Like 4

I didn't know Potters Bar was so popular. Here is picture probably not seen before of a model of the new PB station which was displayed in the nearby gas showroom. The second picture shows the showroom and supposedly the first bus to go under the new bridge. 

Barry

PB_Station_model.jpg

Darkes_Lane_train_crossing_bridge_bus_under(1955).jpg

• Like 16