Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Oh, having just spent some time mulling possibilities, the Rhydyronen post above clinches it for me.  I just didn't think narrow gauge, but.....a place of beauty, the garden of rest, No.3 chuffing up the line with it's (Ex A4/Brit?) chime whistle echoing up the valley.....the daffs in spring, what a superb place.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some video of Potters Bar,

The rebuilding of the station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA1AU92us7Q

Coal wagons passing the station, note the variety of wagons and the different grades of coal being transported. Sorry about the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k96rvnsfo8Q

The new station.

With music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH1E3fV0bEw

Or without

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/new-potters-bar-station

• Like 3

I've been distracted for the last day or so and not looked in. But I'm so glad Potters Bar won as I spent my first 8.5 years there before we emigrated to Australia in 1964. Lived in Laurel Ave, so the station was basically at the end of our road.

My favourite period, if I could go back in time would be late 30s I reckon. Spending my time between north of the station and at the end of the climb south of the Mutton Lane bridge.

My best railway memory from when I lived there was seeing Golden Plover standing in the down slow platform one weekend. Must have been on a running in turn after overhaul given it was a Haymarket engine.

Andrew

• Like 1

Don't know Wales at all so it will have to be Barry Island. Anything with a Gavin and Stacey connection gets my vote. I'll even forgive them for not actually filming in Billericay and using a two lane stretch of dual carriageway to deputise for the M25. You can tell it is not the M25 because they always seem to be moving!

Martyn

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

18 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Off topic, but I’ve just had an email from Rails of Sheffield telling that”after over 35 years of trading with Hornby, with immediate effect we are unable to fulfil any orders for forthcoming release or out of stock Hornby products. ”

does anyone know why?

Hi Peter 

I have received the same email this evening as well.

Regards

David

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

I've been distracted for the last day or so and not looked in. But I'm so glad Potters Bar won as I spent my first 8.5 years there before we emigrated to Australia in 1964. Lived in Laurel Ave, so the station was basically at the end of our road.

My favourite period, if I could go back in time would be late 30s I reckon. Spending my time between north of the station and at the end of the climb south of the Mutton Lane bridge.

My best railway memory from when I lived there was seeing Golden Plover standing in the down slow platform one weekend. Must have been on a running in turn after overhaul given it was a Haymarket engine.

Andrew

There was a shop near the station that sold home-made ice cream. That's about all I know about Potters Bar.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

Think it might have something to do with this:

Phew !!!!

On Sunday night I pre-ordered a BR class 2 2-6-0 and debated if to place the order with Hattons, where I was ordering a few coaches or with Rails who were £1 cheaper. Save having to muck around with typing my credit card details twice I went with Hattons. Got in before the rush of disappointed Rails customers.

Now the manufacturing is done away from the so called manufactures bases so in theory they only become wholesalers or suppliers and the traditional traders are able to access similar factories, thus becoming suppliers they are going to tread on each others toes and have a bun fight over duplication. Good or bad for the hobby, I don't know.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

11 different suggestions in this poll, and some interesting reasons for your choices. The winner was Rhydyronen with 3 votes.

Something completely different today. Back to regional centres, and a look at small(er)  through stations on lines radiating from Manchester. About a 20 mile radius from the centre, let's say, but I won't be examining mileages too closely.

Not an area I know at all but I will vote for Manchester Piccadilly/London Road where the Woodhead line terminated. 

Fascinating line such a shame I never got to see it although I did ride on the Shenfield 306 units of similar design I believe.

Martyn

Having given it (some) thought, I'm going to plump for dear ol'

Stalybridge station. (<-- click at your peril!)

Enticingly situated with the prospect of the Pennine hills visible (when it's not raining), it's long been (in)famous for the station buffet (aka real ale pub) and also the parliamentary service from Stockport. So far as the latter goes, like many on here I suspect, I'm old enough to remember when that was an ordinary service and the way to get from the Leeds / Huddersfield axis to the south of Manchester without going into the city centre.

Stalybridge.jpg.f14f9297d8f1e2c8edf8e1192324075a.jpg

One of my own pictures for a change, taken on 30th August 1988 and showing the aforementioned service having arrived and obviously with some permissive block arrangements in force to allow the Stopfordian throng to make an easy transfer to the waiting TPE. 

In its heyday (did it actually have one?) the station was a little more extensive, with a pair of canopy-covered bay platforms on the north side and it was also the place where the Micklehurst loop used to branch off, effectively creating a four track railway for the climb up to Diggle and the Standedge tunnels. Happily, one of those bay platforms has actually been reinstated as part of the recent track alterations.

Also (there's more?) fond memories of the day when we officially unveiled the new Stalybridge station clock (on the main Leeds-bound platform) before travelling to the NRM to unveil the old one which is preserved for posterity there. And not forgetting the day I passed through in the cab of No. 46229 (in a semi-official capacity) before a rousing climb to Diggle ...

I think there's enough reasons for my nomination there! 

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

like many on here I suspect, I'm old enough to remember when that was an ordinary service

Me too.

Nice Greater Manchester summer's day there by the look of it.

Nice ballast as well.