Peterborough North

great northern

My nomination for the WCML wayside station (as far as Crewe) is:

Whitmore.

The 'summit' of a modest hill between Stafford and Crewe (better hills lie further north!) but the scene of some exciting (one rather too exciting) LMS speed records in the 1930s

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Yet another murky morning, and more heavy rain for hours forecast later on, so I may have to start rationing images again, if it is too dark to do anything at all.

For now though, we can watch 61098 standing at the South end of Platform 2.

Well, it appears we can't as nothing will upload, so we will go on to the poll instead. Now I thought the former visitors to the field at Tamworth might prevail here, but in fact Wolverton got 4 votes, and Tamworth only 2. Plenty of other suggestions, but none got more than one.

Today we shall look at an area which I now realise has been sadly neglected so far, namely the routes between Leeds and Manchester. So any station on the main lines between those two cities, including junctions.

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

I'm sulking. It actually got three votes last time but was only credited with one.:resent:

The management would like to apologise for this oversight. All done in too much of a rush yesterday. Still wouldn't have won though.:jester:

• Like 1

Eccles in the 60's.
Fourtrack mainline out of Manchester, plus the freight traffic into the Ship Canal. 8F reversing a long train back over a junction and down to the sidings.
The raft of expresses, both passenger and fitted freight on a summer evening.
LMS three cylinder 4-6-0's at full chat at the head of a dancing fitted freight.

• Like 2