Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Dent (Garsdale Road to those of a certain age).

I would say Armathwaite but Dent for me as well.

I was about 14 when Dad and I saw Garsdale Road at the Easter Show. I remember David Jenkinson being very unpleased at events in the fiddle yard. I've no idea what was going on but DJ was NOT amused! Happy days.

Whether this was the Central Hall or The New Horicultural I can't remember but I do remember when Dad took me into the Irish Pub nearby while he had his lunch time pint. Never having been in such a place before I was agog and I recall it being a proper place with real considerate Irish folk, not some kind of theme establishment. 

Years later i was in a pub in Dublin near the records office for my lunchtime Guinness. I was amazed again as I was the only one drinking alcohol - the locals had pints of water with their lunch!

Dent then, please excuse the ramble!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Dent is going to win so I am not nominating any of the other lovely stations on the line, anyhow they all look the same and have similar track plans.

Look the same yes Clive, but the stations are in different settings, are they not?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, great northern said:

Now to the second goodie in the parcel that arrived on Friday. The problem with having things Timmed, of course, is that things that haven't been show up like a sore whatsit. So, we are gradually working our way through some of those, and this time the A4 chosen was Golden Fleece, which was basically as it arrived from Hornby. I am fortunate, thanks to Brian Mc Dermott, to have the full details of loco workings on the Elizabethan in 1958, and they show that 60030 was used frequently, particularly at the start of the season. When 60013 came out of Plant in late July it took over the majority of workings, but 60030 was clearly the back up engine, and appeared a few times in August, so Tim's brief was to turn it out in Elizabethan condition, which he has done.

My photos don't do it full justice, as I had the same problems as with the B1 earlier when it came to lighting, but here they are.

241186543_2302.JPG.568829b0a7f76197db08e44e3e4b8713.JPG

12a_30_good_alt.JPG.262ef04bdcaebdab73770bbabf760c59.JPG

In due course Tim will post his open air ones, which will show it off much better.

Hi Gilbert

Two very nice locomotives you have there.

This is no criticism of your photography as I know myself how difficult it is to photograph internally especially if the sun is in the wrong position within the room.

Thats precisely why I photograph in the late evening using the LED lights I have in the room where Haymarket is located.

Anyway  getting back to the reason I wrote I have seen Tim’s photos of your locomotives on the model railways blog on Facebook and they both look absolutely stunning.

Regards 

David

• RMweb Gold

I know Dent is going to win today’s poll, but I’m going with Appleby since my grandparents used to live there. It was in a house, between the two stations, and you could see both the S&C station and the LNER station. 

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, great northern said:

An elevenses accompaniment this morning, featuring another excellently Timmed loco. B1 61113 was a long time New England resident, and a Bachmann loco featured on the loft layout, and down on PN. However, it succumbed to the dreaded rot a while back. I decided to replace it, so Tim has worked his magic on a new Hornby model.

61113 seems to have been a New England favourite, as it was used on a rail tour in the mid 50s, and then again in 58 for promotional photos of a train of, I think, Aveling Barford tractors, for which it was suitably bulled up. Thus it is considerably cleaner than the New England norm.

1125516433_311131.JPG.984522207396c02f89e41a6a3582264b.JPG

948913419_411132.JPG.289f39d1665ed62050b97d9f4305ddf4.JPG

Tim has photographed the loco in sunlight outdoors, where it looks stunning. I've got sun in and out this morning, and bad reflections, particularly off the tender if I take shots in full sunlight. Tim will post his images in due course, when you will see this lovely loco, literally, it its true light.

We have another to come later as well, folks.

A lovely looking B1. Was 61032 the donor and did Tim have to do anything structural to it?

Andy

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

A lovely looking B1. Was 61032 the donor and did Tim have to do anything structural to it?

Andy

1032 it was Andy. I know Tim did some work to get the tender coal plate in the right position, but apart from that, I can't think of anything else. He'll soon tell us if I'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, Dent did win, but it wasn't a foregone conclusion. Dent 6 Appleby 4.

Today we shall journey up the WCML from Crewe to Carlisle, and find out which is your favourite wayside station on another very well known stretch of line. No large junctions please, but the smaller ones are permissible. What's small? Well, for example, Oxenholme or Penrith.

• RMweb Premium

I ought to say Hartford but it's the junction rather than the station that's interesting. Perhaps I should choose Tebay instead but everybody's going to do that...

So it's Hartford (station and junction, if that's allowed). I once built a model of the PW hut between the two on the down side for the Leeds MRS layout.

Edited by St Enodoc

Tempted by Tebay but I think I will go for the station that carries the name of that most famous of hills:

Shap

Obviously in a grand setting, pictures of the place when it was open show it to be a distinctive wayside station, with its partially offset platforms and small goods yard, with cattle pens and yard crane. This picture perhaps gives some idea - interesting cattle pen arrangement. Note the very low platforms in this picture. Some interesting stuff in that Flickr album

There are occasional mutterings regarding a potential re-opening. Penrith-Keswick re-opening whilst they're at it, anyone?

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

I would go for Hartford, both the station and the junction to the north where the CLC crossed the main line. As a very small child we used to catch the train from Hartford to Liverpool and I was fascinated by the sheer quantity of locomotives and trains we saw on the journey. Later I watched trains at the junction where there were trains on two lines to watch.

Sandra

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, sandra said:

I would go for Hartford, both the station and the junction to the north where the CLC crossed the main line. As a very small child we used to catch the train from Hartford to Liverpool and I was fascinated by the sheer quantity of locomotives and trains we saw on the journey. Later I watched trains at the junction where there were trains on two lines to watch.

Sandra

Three if you count the ICI branch!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I nominate Wreay, which was the first station south of Carlisle. It closed in 1943.

I do so because I was on holiday in Dalston (with my first wife) and in the nearby pub we met a very nice bloke called Gordon. He invited to his house for Xmas dinner as his children and their families were not going to be there until later in the holiday break. We weren't the only ones invited a few of his and his wife's friends were there. Gordon lived in the old station masters house at Wreay, he was a driver based at Kingmoor. He had driven on Stanier pacifics in their twilight years, and told me that on a nice sunny spring morning when coasting down from Shap they were lovely. Not so on a frosty January night going up Shap, "Give me a 87 doing 100 up hill with heater on full blast." He had a wonderful painting of City of Carlisle in his dining room. It was a lovely day we spent with him, his wife and their friends.

On our way home a few days later our Driver as far as Crewe was Gordon.

• Like 13