Peterborough North

great northern

I'm another very happy bunny when it comes to the Hunt Couplings. My experiences of them thus far have been very good and I'm slowly converting my fixed coaching rakes over to them.

The Elite type are certainly a step up from the standard ones given they don't have the polarity differences. They've even got a specific type for Bachmann Mk1 coaches to deal with their odd coupling height in that range.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I’m going with Oxenholme for the poll.

Now, I need to know if those Hunt couplings stop the Bachmann Mk1’s derailing when there’s more than five, in a rake, on curved track. If so, then I think I may well have a huge recoupling project for the rest of this year. I have about two hundred carriages to convert. Then there are goods wagons and vans, etc.,  I like to keep all stock fitted with the same couplings. It will also keep my postman busy with the deliveries of them. ;)

Rob.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Today I nominate Wreay, which was the first station south of Carlisle. It closed in 1943.

I do so because I was on holiday in Dalston (with my first wife) and in the nearby pub we met a very nice bloke called Gordon. He invited to his house for Xmas dinner as his children and their families were not going to be there until later in the holiday break. We weren't the only ones invited a few of his and his wife's friends were there. Gordon lived in the old station masters house at Wreay, he was a driver based at Kingmoor. He had driven on Stanier pacifics in their twilight years, and told me that on a nice sunny spring morning when coasting down from Shap they were lovely. Not so on a frosty January night going up Shap, "Give me a 87 doing 100 up hill with heater on full blast." He had a wonderful painting of City of Carlisle in his dining room. It was a lovely day we spent with him, his wife and their friends.

On our way home a few days later our Driver as far as Crewe was Gordon.

My vote goes to Clive for that story alone.

Don't agree about the 87, mind ...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Market65 said:

I’m going with Oxenholme for the poll.

Now, I need to know if those Hunt couplings stop the Bachmann Mk1’s derailing when there’s more than five, in a rake, on curved track. If so, then I think I may well have a huge recoupling project for the rest of this year. I have about two hundred carriages to convert. Then there are goods wagons and vans, etc.,  I like to keep all stock fitted with the same couplings. It will also keep my postman busy with the deliveries of them. ;)

Rob.

Well Rob, the good news is that the Scotsman has a bit of a wiggle to get through on entering its FY road, which has in the past seen tension locks pull each other off track. Hunt couplings glide in smooth as silk, and this is an 11 coach rake. In fact, I haven't had a derailment anywhere yet.

I have a large order in, which I hope will arrive tomorrow. I can then get several more rakes fitted up, and will report further.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, great northern said:

Well Rob, the good news is that the Scotsman has a bit of a wiggle to get through on entering its FY road, which has in the past seen tension locks pull each other off track. Hunt couplings glide in smooth as silk, and this is an 11 coach rake. In fact, I haven't had a derailment anywhere yet.

I have a large order in, which I hope will arrive tomorrow. I can then get several more rakes fitted up, and will report further.

Thank you, Gilbert. That’s excellent, and I’d better get ordering. 

Rob.

6 hours ago, great northern said:

Right, the carriages forming the Flying Scotsman. Here we go.

554502936_12rake1.JPG.5365b11261f19b9f0405974c83513326.JPG136526244_12arake2.JPG.34375faea69b6f0358fbe6d8ad1c6cde.JPG2074559983_14rake3.JPG.96d2397c9629e83e5298b6a09ee9a3a7.JPG152279854_15rake4.JPG.19d93bb88273323a6ac71d4f00fd9591.JPG478775450_16rake5.JPG.a73dba1380e6ce3db2d136d420b20c13.JPG525729373_17rake6.JPG.005404229fa0b92174c466afc0e797c6.JPG

You may recall that I have mentioned, perhaps more than once, the problems that I have with coupling incompatibility, having managed to use tension locks, kadees and ROCO types. Well, Tim suggested that I try some magnetic couplings from a concern called West Hill Wagon Works, so I  did, and most of the Flying Scotsman now has them, with great improvement to my eyes to the look of the train, and certainly to its smooth and reliable running. I have already ordered a lot more. Simple plug in replacements for NEM pockets, and also available are screw couplings for older types. Here's a close up.

1329998286_hunt1.jpg.02fb768be8b5d41790277bdadf8f78ef.jpg

They part very easily when I want them to, but not at all when I don't. I am a very happy bunny. They are described as Hunt couplings, and the ones seen are the Elite close coupling type. No connection to the manufacturer on my part, but I would certainly recommend them. www.westhillwagonworks.co.uk is where they can be found.

The hunt or for that matter any form of close couplings really improve the look of a train.

I may have asked before, didn't the Scotsman consist have s Thompson BG, or was that a different train or time?

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, davidw said:

The hunt or for that matter any form of close couplings really improve the look of a train.

I may have asked before, didn't the Scotsman consist have s Thompson BG, or was that a different train or time?

David,

The Lizzie got the Thompson BG when it ran (i.e. during the summer). The Scotsman was quite a boring train when the Lizzie was running being mainly Mark 1s as you can see with BSKs providing the van space. During the winter, the Scotsman got the Thompson PV stock.

I was surprised by the Gresley RF. Was that normal rather than a Thompson one?

Gilbert, thanks for the coupling tip - I’ve ordered some to try.

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Premium

And I’ll add my thanks for the shared information on the couplings.

i model in N, and with not much hope, I logged on to WHWW and was astonished to find that these couplings are available in N.

11 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

David,

The Lizzie got the Thompson BG when it ran (i.e. during the summer). The Scotsman was quite a boring train when the Lizzie was running being mainly Mark 1s as you can see with BSKs providing the van space. During the winter, the Scotsman got the Thompson PV stock.

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy - it just goes to show don't necessarily believe a caption on a prototype picture.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A very close poll this time. No clear winner, Oxenholme 3 Tebay 3 , then Hartford and Shap with 2. Nowt for Carnforth, which surprised me.

Today, we continue North East from Carlisle along the Waverley route, again looking for those atmospheric and probably very scenic stations where you might have liked to spend time just watching the trains go by. Being a nice sort of chappie really, I'll give you a few names to ponder on this time. Eskbank, Tynehead, Stow, Galashiels, Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick, Stobs, Shankend and Newcastleton. Very wild and remote, some of these, and there are a few more I haven't mentioned, but if you've read books or seen the TV programmes and videos you'll know some of these. Not Riccarton Junction though please, as it has already had its moment of glory.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

David,

Regards

Andy

It is what I had available that fitted in with coupling needs Andy. My Thompson RCs all seem to have kadees.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, juke said:

I've ordered the trial pack as a starting point. What length have you ordered fpr the Bachmann coaches Gilbert?

Syd

I find the close coupling ones work fine for me Syd. My minimum radius is supposed to be  3ft, but I think there are one or two tighter bits.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, great northern said:

A very close poll this time. No clear winner, Oxenholme 3 Tebay 3 , then Hartford and Shap with 2. Nowt for Carnforth, which surprised me.

Today, we continue North East from Carlisle along the Waverley route, again looking for those atmospheric and probably very scenic stations where you might have liked to spend time just watching the trains go by. Being a nice sort of chappie really, I'll give you a few names to ponder on this time. Eskbank, Tynehead, Stow, Galashiels, Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick, Stobs, Shankend and Newcastleton. Very wild and remote, some of these, and there are a few more I haven't mentioned, but if you've read books or seen the TV programmes and videos you'll know some of these. Not Riccarton Junction though please, as it has already had its moment of glory.

Hi Gilbert

I have a problem with this poll, I don't think I can take part. My ladder isn't long enough for me to get over the wall so I can venture into wilds of the boarder country.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

I have a problem with this poll, I don't think I can take part. My ladder isn't long enough for me to get over the wall so I can venture into wilds of the boarder country.

I heard the Scots cheers from here!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

Well get a longer one then. Or learn to pole vault.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2