Peterborough North

great northern

23 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have a problem with this poll, I don't think I can take part. My ladder isn't long enough for me to get over the wall so I can venture into wilds of the boarder country.

Clive

Is this a reference to the preponderance of B&B establishments in that part of the world? As an alternative to a longer ladder, try digging.

Lloyd

• Funny 2

Stow for me as my grandfather was Station Master there in the forties. At the risk of highjacking the thread for a moment the story of his demise is interesting because there is an element of mystery to it. Three days before his death he had been transferred to Gullane, at his own request because he wanted to be by the sea. On his second day there he received a severe head injury whilst shunting a train. Blood was coming from his ears according to witnesses. He refused treatment and went back to his digs. The next day he left to return to Stow with the intention of returning to Gullane with my grandmother. He never turned up. He was found dead in Penmanshiel tunnel. It appeared he had been run over by a train. All very mysterious. Penmanshiel is on the ECML. It is however very close to where he was brought up, in Ayton. The man who found his body knew him. He is buried in Ayton cemetery, see attached. The FAI did not seem to reach any firm conclusions. It was thought he may have fallen from, or jumped from a train. There was no evidence to support either conclusion. 

20180613_123902.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

A very close poll this time. No clear winner, Oxenholme 3 Tebay 3 , then Hartford and Shap with 2. Nowt for Carnforth, which surprised me.

Today, we continue North East from Carlisle along the Waverley route, again looking for those atmospheric and probably very scenic stations where you might have liked to spend time just watching the trains go by. Being a nice sort of chappie really, I'll give you a few names to ponder on this time. Eskbank, Tynehead, Stow, Galashiels, Melrose, St Boswells, Hassendean, Hawick, Stobs, Shankend and Newcastleton. Very wild and remote, some of these, and there are a few more I haven't mentioned, but if you've read books or seen the TV programmes and videos you'll know some of these. Not Riccarton Junction though please, as it has already had its moment of glory.

I don't suppose Tweedbank counts, so I'll pick Gorebridge because I used to know a girl who lived there...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I never saw the Waverley Route when it was open, although I have been over the reopened line to Tweedbank but I don't think any of the present stations bear much resemblance to what was there before.

So I'll vote for Hawick as from what I've seen and read in books, it looks as though it must have been quite an attractive station.

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Gilbert

I have a problem with this poll, I don't think I can take part. My ladder isn't long enough for me to get over the wall so I can venture into wilds of the boarder country.

'Stand by to repel boarders!'

'How do you repel boarders?'

'Stop changing the bed linen!'

I thank you:thankyou:

I'm gonna vote for Shankend ... but hang on whilst I find a picture of it first.

• Funny 9

3 hours ago, great northern said:

A very close poll this time. No clear winner, Oxenholme 3 Tebay 3 , then Hartford and Shap with 2. Nowt for Carnforth, which surprised me.

Gilbert

According to my counting Tebay won with 4 votes. Mine must have come in whilst you were typing your email above. Perhaps that was too late?

Andrew

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Gilbert

According to my counting Tebay won with 4 votes. Mine must have come in whilst you were typing your email above. Perhaps that was too late?

Andrew

I'm afraid so Andrew. I get a delay on arrival of posts these days, so I hadn't seen yours when I did the count.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 31A said:

I never saw the Waverley Route when it was open, although I have been over the reopened line to Tweedbank but I don't think any of the present stations bear much resemblance to what was there before.

So I'll vote for Hawick as from what I've seen and read in books, it looks as though it must have been quite an attractive station.

A place I would have love to have visited Steve. apart from all those fabled Scottish and Carlisle Canal Pacifics, there was the shed right behind, and lovely things like D30s to gaze upon during quiet periods. It is one of the places I have thought about modelling in the past. Mind you, you could fill a book with those. I did.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

OK, here's my full submission for:

Shankend.

DSC00391.JPG.e548b069c0f70a95712b2e37aaaf40fe.JPG

Here it is in its wider setting - station is over to the left in that group of trees then a luverly setting for a viaduct.

DSC00388.JPG.33ac364c9bef0e526cf80dcb7f533ffa.JPG

I first 'discovered' this location in August 1983 when I thought nothing of cycling 80-90 miles a day with tent and sleeping bag for company. Alas, by this date, no V2s or A3s slogging up the 1-in-75 to keep me company through the night, just the sheep(!)

DSC00392.JPG.d326c8048f2c573883433d2c7de7d4cc.JPG

I had a nose at the abandoned station site; there is a morbid fascination in such places. This is the view looking south towards Whitrope and Riccarton.

DSC00389.JPG.c82480b36241053b853cdc4c02e4605f.JPG

If you indulge me for one further pic, the same day I'd walked the 4 miles from Steele Road to Riccarton with Dad and here is the latter station site on that day, 37 years ago. Good grief!

You can see how long I've been burning a candle for the old Waverley route. Be great to get round to recreating a part of it in model form, in a few years time (all being well).

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

OK, here's my full submission for:

Shankend.

DSC00391.JPG.e548b069c0f70a95712b2e37aaaf40fe.JPG

Here it is in its wider setting - station is over to the left in that group of trees then a luverly setting for a viaduct.

DSC00388.JPG.33ac364c9bef0e526cf80dcb7f533ffa.JPGDSC00388.JPG.33ac364c9bef0e526cf80dcb7f533ffa.JPG

I first 'discovered' this location in August 1983 when I thought nothing of cycling 80-90 miles a day with tent and sleeping bag for company. Alas, by this date, no V2s or A3s slogging up the 1-in-75 to keep me company through the night, just the sheep(!)

DSC00392.JPG.d326c8048f2c573883433d2c7de7d4cc.JPG

I had a nose at the abandoned station site; there is a morbid fascination in such places. This is the view looking south towards Whitrope and Riccarton.

DSC00389.JPG.c82480b36241053b853cdc4c02e4605f.JPG

If you indulge me for one further pic, the same day I'd walked the 4 miles from Steele Road to Riccarton with Dad and here is the latter station site on that day, 37 years ago. Good grief!

You can see how long I've been burning a candle for the old Waverley route. Be great to get round to recreating a part of it in model form, in a few years time (all being well).

Lovely images thank you, Graham. Brings the whole discussion to life, even though it is so sad to see. I've been meaning to go up and see these sights for myself for years, but never got round to it.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, great northern said:

Under the roof this morning. Different distances, and crops, which do you prefer?

I think I prefer the upper one.  You can see more of the light coming through the roof, and the lower one looks rather as if you're looking through a letter box!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Under the roof this morning. Different distances, and crops, which do you prefer?

I think both work well. The top one because of the extra light. But, I prefer the bottom one as it shows the power of the loco more, in my opinion.

Mike

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I like both versons for the same reasons as Mike. What I prefer with all these wonderful 'under the roof' shots is when the figures are further away from the camera, as those near the front are out of focus and draw attention to their

inevitable defects.

Those just a bit further back look great and quite realistic. You have some great figures in your collection!

Syd

Edited by juke

59 minutes ago, great northern said:

Where shall we go today? A bit nearer home perhaps?  Wayside stations, double track or more, but not major junctions, on the North Eastern region of BR.

Witton Gilbert, if pronounced properly, or failing that Lanchester please.

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, great northern said:

A place I would have love to have visited Steve. apart from all those fabled Scottish and Carlisle Canal Pacifics, there was the shed right behind, and lovely things like D30s to gaze upon during quiet periods. It is one of the places I have thought about modelling in the past. Mind you, you could fill a book with those. I did.

Not one of my favourite places. My visits were all associated with rugby, and invariably we got stuffed. On many occasions we were, as the saying goes, "lucky to score nil".

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I hope you don’t mind me asking a coaching stock question to the assembled experts on here, but such issues seem to be a speciality of your thread.

I’m planning on buying one of the Isinglass GNR buffet cars to run in my Cambridge Buffet Express. They do two different variants, Diagrams 78T and 78V. I know that initially 8 went to the GN section (and two to the GC). Can anyone tell me if both ran on the CBE in the fifties or whether they were dedicated to different parts of the GN system. I’ve read Steve Banks’ piece on them https://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/347-lner-buffet-cars, but it doesn’t seem to say where the GN versions ran.

Regards

Andy