Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Where shall we go today? A bit nearer home perhaps?  Wayside stations, double track or more, but not major junctions, on the North Eastern region of BR.

For this one I'm going with "Stanley" (Nr. Wakefield on the Methley Joint Railway) - It was where my Father was born and the signal box was where my paternal Grandfather worked from circa 1912 till the family moved to Peterborough - to be near Grandfather's family - in the mid-1920s.

If Stanley is not allowed then I would go for Goathland.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, for this poll I’m going with a former station on the Beverley, Market Weighton, and York line. It’s Cherry Burton, the first stop after Beverley,  a small two track station, with a small goods yard on the up side of the line, and it was closed down in January, 1959, some years before the line itself was closed down by Dr. Beeching in November, 1965. Here’s a photo’, taken many years after closure by  D.S.  Pugh, courtesy of the Creative Commons License.  It’s taken looking towards Beverley.

stamp.php?id=813974&title=on&gravity=Sou

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Gilbert,

I hope you don’t mind me asking a coaching stock question to the assembled experts on here, but such issues seem to be a speciality of your thread.

I’m planning on buying one of the Isinglass GNR buffet cars to run in my Cambridge Buffet Express. They do two different variants, Diagrams 78T and 78V. I know that initially 8 went to the GN section (and two to the GC). Can anyone tell me if both ran on the CBE in the fifties or whether they were dedicated to different parts of the GN system. I’ve read Steve Banks’ piece on them https://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/347-lner-buffet-cars, but it doesn’t seem to say where the GN versions ran.

Regards

Andy

Morning Andy. I think you have the Carter article in Backtrack which I have? Nothing specific in there for post war, but pre war five were allocated to the Cambridge trains, and he does say that things remained substantially the same post war. The bit I'd rely on would be " the GNR cars were in daily use during the 1950s, and at one time or another they appeared in virtually every service which originated in the Eastern Region". You couldn't ask for a better catch all than that!

We agreed a while back, did we not, that the Dia167 cars were based further North, and the Cleethorpes had one offs, so I reckon the GN cars must still have appeared in the Cambridge formations. We also know how conservative railwaymen were, so what happened pre war may well have just seamlessly carried on.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

For the current poll, while not exactly a wayside station, can I put in a vote for Stanley on the Methley Joint line?  It was a smaller through station with some amazing architecture and the Wakefield Railway Modellers Society recently created a layout of the location. I was fortunate to build a structure for it and ship it from Aus to the UK in time for it to be on the layout for the Pontefract show, so I have a bit of a soft spot for the location.

1509D69F-C30C-4440-B0DF-694FC5E04064.jpeg

• Like 10

Hmm ... NER wayside(-ish) stations ... so many to choose from.

Having pondered for a little while, I'm going to nominate:

Kirkby Stephen East

I think that's non-major enough. On another of my favourite routes, the east-west (or west-east) crossing of my beloved Pennines over Stainmore summit. There was a junction just beyond the station where the routes to Tebay and Penrith went their separate ways. A very distinctive station which - happily - is still with us, thanks to the efforts of the Stainmore Railway Company.

https://www.kirkbystepheneast.co.uk/

Another very modellable location ...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Morning Andy. I think you have the Carter article in Backtrack which I have? Nothing specific in there for post war, but pre war five were allocated to the Cambridge trains, and he does say that things remained substantially the same post war. The bit I'd rely on would be " the GNR cars were in daily use during the 1950s, and at one time or another they appeared in virtually every service which originated in the Eastern Region". You couldn't ask for a better catch all than that!

We agreed a while back, did we not, that the Dia167 cars were based further North, and the Cleethorpes had one offs, so I reckon the GN cars must still have appeared in the Cambridge formations. We also know how conservative railwaymen were, so what happened pre war may well have just seamlessly carried on.

Afternoon Gilbert,

Silly me, I should have remembered that article! It’s very helpful and confirms that either diagram would do. 

Yes, D.167 cars were generally NE region and worked south on trains originating there - e.g. Hull. I think Cleethorpes sets were generally tourist buffet cars (D.168).

Thanks for your help.

Andy

4 hours ago, drmditch said:

Witton Gilbert, if pronounced properly, or failing that Lanchester please.

For me, Lanchester, obviously.

As a layout plan it has some attractions. The Lanchester Valley Railway was built single track, but then doubled to about a mile uphill of Lanchester (actually to Lanchester Colliery) - the impressive, US-style trestle-built Knitsley Viaduct I assume impeding full doubling all the way to Blackhill. When the colliery closed, the second line became a very long headshunt - well off the scenery of any plausible model. Now this means that if you are operating authentically, you can have all the fun of double into single line, but if you were, say, exhibiting, with the same layout you can do a bit of roundy-roundy on the southbound track while shunting the yard etc which all comes off the Northbound. Said yard includes goods depot, coal staiths, and a line into a site which at various times was, I think, a brickworks, and a saw-mill (possibly pit-props, there were NCB/Forestry Commission plantations in the area). A couple of bays allow for side and end loading - there was a cattle auction mart in Lanchester so I assume livestock was a feature at one time, also perhaps agricultural equipment. Certainly in the 60s there was an additional warehouse of the 'Atco' variety, used I think for fertiliser etc traffic, Lanchester being an agricultural village in a mining area.. I wish I remember more, but Dad was very firm about not trespassing on the railway, and like a fool I actually obeyed!

Passenger services ended before WW2 (and had been partially replaced by NER bus services in about 1919) but freight until 1966, including on at least one occasion, 1964, diversions of the Tyne Dock ore trains. OUGHT to have had Sentinel/Clayton railcars (as a continuation of the Newcastle-Blackhill via Rowlands Gill service, but as far as I know didn't. Pre-WW1, and perhaps later, Lanchester was a tourist destination as well. But even if modelling BR era freight-only, you can still run Durham Miners Gala specials with just about anything you want.

Station building readily adaptable from the 'Goathland' style kits.

All in all, what's not to like?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lanchester said:

For me, Lanchester, obviously.

Station building readily adaptable from the 'Goathland' style kits.

Or, you could just build your own!

1285209341_Post_B1-Copy.JPG.74ebffa4675fc71d71cc51223b76ca16.JPG

Please excuse the track and the trees; this was a photograph on the old railway, it is being improved on the new one!

The 'standard' 1862 Thomas Prosser design is still extant at Witton Gilbert, Lanchester, and Knitsley (with no railway), and in a modified form at Goathland and elsewhere on the Esk Valley line happily with rails still in place!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Kirkby Stephen East

I think that's non-major enough. On another of my favourite routes, the east-west (or west-east) crossing of my beloved Pennines over Stainmore summit. There was a junction just beyond the station where the routes to Tebay and Penrith went their separate ways. A very distinctive station which - happily - is still with us, thanks to the efforts of the Stainmore Railway Company.

Agree it is (was) a lovely station, so my vote goes here too, though I think we might be disqualified on the grounds it was a midland region station in BR days. Hope i am wrong!

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Kirkby Stephen East

Well, provided you just refer to it as Kirkby Stephen.

At least this station is just at the bottom of the main street, and is part of the town.

The later station called Kirkby Stephen 'West' built by those people who painted their engines red, cannot even see or be seen from the town!

Actually, shouldn't it count as the junction for the Eden Valley line?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Garforth. Home for a few years and one-time junction for the "Fly Line" to Aberford and the Kippax branch to Castleford.

Another vote for Garforth, not just because it was home for many years.  Three junctions (the Fly line junction allowed access in both directions) as well as the Ledston Branch.  Would make for an interesting model ~1920.

Adrian

• Agree 2

I will go with Goathland, been there many years ago BC (Before children!). They had just finished filming Heartbeat when we got off the train and were removing the overlays that covered the double yellow lines.That would have been around 1997. We were staying right by the swing bridge with a ground floor balcony overlooking the harbour in Whitby that week and there was a good curry house in Whitby station.

Good times.

Martyn

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A drawn poll. Garforth 3 Stanley 3.

Today, some more lovely small stations to choose from. Please consider the Hope Valley line, and the Midland from Derby to Manchester again, but not including Ambergate and Miller's Dale, already done as junctions.

• Like 1