Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

An easy win for Monsal Dale, 6 votes, and nowhere else more than two. It is a spectacular place, and well worth a visit, or several.

Today we travel from Doncaster to March via the GN &GE joint line. Lincoln Central is excluded though. You can also go to Clive country, Peterborough to Cleethorpes via the E.Lincs, including the Mablethorpe loop, which will allow one very important station.  All the market towns are OK, whether junctions or not. But don't all just vote for Quadring. What do you mean, you've never heard of it?

• RMweb Premium

Well ignoring for the moment the sprawling metropolis of Saltfleetby, difficult to choose between Spalding and Sleaford.

I will vote for Sleaford as I think it is better preserved as an example of a GN junction station.  It also has the very impressive maltings buildings alongside the line, which sadly nobody knows what to do with.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, jollysmart said:

Louth, which would be ideal for commuters today if only there was a railway.

16 minutes ago, Woodcock29 said:

Tempted to go for Firsby but Louth was bigger and had a loco shed. Some of my ex GN loco models were based at Louth. Also it may yet see trains to the northern fringe again in due course. So Louth for me.

Andrew

I have a problem with Louth, not the station but the town itself. Living down on the Marshland when I go to Louth shopping I get altitude sickness, its got hills. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I have a problem with Louth, not the station but the town itself. Living down on the Marshland when I go to Louth shopping I get altitude sickness, its got hills. 

Louth had the opposite effect for me, but then we lived in the Wolds not 500 yds from Donington-on-Bain station 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Cue Kenneth Horne, doing his 60s weekly round-up of events : "On Monday I got my teeth into a nice Bakewell Tart. On Tuesday I left Bakewell and...."

The ones I remember best -  " A polite titter ran around the room" - Excuse me miss, excuse me miss".

Or in a sketch about succession to the throne, " How about little Tom Thumb? Only 12 inches tall, he'd make a good ruler".

Priceless.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

46 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Then there was "Ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure. But they say I must do the show first!"

My favourite:

"The answers to last week's sporting quiz. Question 1: the fastest time for 100 metres is held by Olga Goshenski, an employee of the Russian Gas board who read the lot in two hours 13 minutes. What a woman! - subject to confirmation, of course ..."

• Funny 7

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Well, I don't know much about that part of the world but Mumby Road featured in "The Slow Train" so that will have to do.

... as did Dogdyke so that'll have to do for me. If it doesn't count then at least Monsal Dale won!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Back to the poll and it's got to be Spalding  for me.l.

My attempt at making a mirror image model of Spalding station for a club layout back in the 80s.

1097805311_wulvesford1.jpg.88ff023e6eac4dbb86803ee0fdaf9e54.jpg

I never done the platform canopy, one of the problems with a straight building and a 3 ft curved platform. Note the pig on the bridge, a feature that would reappear on both Pig Lane layouts and Hanging Hill.

271241358_wulvesford2.jpg.4a77ed1bc2ffed5cf2c331eaa9f0ba7d.jpg

141320531_wulvesford3.jpg.cea88dd140f52a010bbc2739f7c35959.jpg

The RAF chaps going on leave or being posted was a common scene in the 1950s. When I first made the model I painted the kit bags blue. This very nice chap said that when he was in the Air Force they had white kit bags with a blue stripe. So out came the white paint. A few shows later another chap mentioned the attention to detail, "even the kits bags are the right colour".

Typical club layout "Let's build a GN-GE joint line station set in Lincolnshire, where we can run GWR locos". It takes a well disciplined group to stick to the original concept, something many of us cannot do as individuals let alone within a club.

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm going for Sleaford, mainly because I used to visit the station to watch trains while I was having my car serviced at a garage in the town.

I've just realised - that was over 45 years ago!.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back to trains. I remembered that I have some pictures of Sleaford station, taken 20 years ago, but I believe these lovely Great Northern buildings are still intact. This is what we had all over Lincolnshire back in the 50s, for those who don't know the County.

375365297_sleaford1.jpg.4ba4f6ec2e234735c7b44497a403fccc.jpg460521837_sleaford2.jpg.a1b8c516c4631d350136d3c3cb2de791.jpg241506463_sleaford3.jpg.4b679333e08fa837446adce9b29adfe5.jpg1979034039_sleaford4.jpg.4a3e0a71b136cf14d984410755e70fb5.jpg

These were taken for Allan Downes, who was doing buildings for the not Peterborough North loft layout at the time.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

... as did Dogdyke so that'll have to do for me. If it doesn't count then at least Monsal Dale won!

But sadly not on the GN &GE Graham. It was on the Lincoln to Boston line, and I used to drive my aunt mad when I was very young by asking her where the dyke with the dog in it was every time we passed through the station.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2