Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, great northern said:

Another tie, Woodhead 4  Barnetby 4.

Today please retrace your steps from lovely Cleethorpes to Sheffield Victoria, and go from there down the GC London extension, remembering that the emphasis now is more on the ordinary through town or wayside station. The Chesterfield loop is included, and Clive is not allowed to remind me that they all looked the same, so there.

Lookie here Gilbert, now agreeing that there are many stations on this line that do have the same architectural style many don't like Annseley South Halt, or those like Gerrards Cross on the bit with the G*R. There are those on the other joint line with the Met Rly. I am going for the 1960s rebuilt station, I do like  a bit of 60s railway architecture, of 'Arrow- on- the- 'ill .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not much interest in the GC poll, only 9 votes, and Rothley was the only place to get more than one. It got 2, and so won.

Today, I wish to cater for some of our eminent chaps who are more accustomed to railways further to the south and west, and so we will look at wayside stations from Salisbury to Exeter Central, and then beyond into Devon and Cornwall. Any small(ish) through station, or rural branch junctions. Been down there on our holidays, haven't we, surely?

• RMweb Gold

Port Isaac Road. A typical North Cornwall LSWR passing station. A good mile and more as the crow flies from the namesake fishing port, and really located in Pendoggett, where I believe Peter Coster lives, or has lived recently. When I was very young we would alight from the Atlantic Coast Express, and find Prout's taxi waiting to take us to Mr & Mrs Honey's house on Tintagel Terrace, where mum and dad had stayed during the war if dad was home on leave. Nowadays Port Isaac is better known as Port Wenn, thanks to Martin Clunes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

It would be nice if that Mallard chappie were here to agree with you. 

Well Ian,  I'm going to agree with that if only for the point that I've actually been there! 

One more for Seaton Junction 

What's happened to Phil? I've been out of the loop a while recently

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

I infer from others' gentle remarks that Phil has taken a bit of a personal drubbing during lockdown - like many others, sadly - and is still getting his breath back. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

Well Ian,  I'm going to agree with that if only for the point that I've actually been there! 

One more for Seaton Junction 

He is still around, he is just giving RMweb a bit of a rest.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

Not much interest in the GC poll, only 9 votes, and Rothley was the only place to get more than one. It got 2, and so won.

Today, I wish to cater for some of our eminent chaps who are more accustomed to railways further to the south and west, and so we will look at wayside stations from Salisbury to Exeter Central, and then beyond into Devon and Cornwall. Any small(ish) through station, or rural branch junctions. Been down there on our holidays, haven't we, surely?

Places I am more confident with! Many possibilities but my vote goes to Okehampton.

Way back in 1961, maybe 1962, a very young lad was on the way to his summer holiday in Cornwall. Having joined the Plymouth train at Salisbury we eventually came to Okehampton where the train waited for ages - I now know we were waiting for a path across Meldon Viaduct. The buffet car had gone at Exeter and as it was now early afternoon we were hungry. The catering staff at the station were obviously well aware of the need and as we waited a lady from the cafe pushed a trolley along the platform selling sandwiches and drinks through the carriage windows.

Whenever I've been passing in more recent years I've always taken the opportunity to patronise the cafe on the station, an excellent alternative to the plastic food on the main road. Unfortunately I believe it is closed this year for reasons which I am not entirely clear on but, I think, to do with the sale of the station and the length of line to Meldon. Hopefully this will be resolved in a positive manner so that next year we can enjoy a meal on the platform and Carol can hear the above story yet again...!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I infer from others' gentle remarks that Phil has taken a bit of a personal drubbing during lockdown - like many others, sadly - and is still getting his breath back. 

Thanks Ian - Poor Phil I know it laid me out for eight weeks, and according to my pulmonologist, as our Cousins across the water call them, it was only  the steroids I'm on that got me through!

• Friendly/supportive 9

Cambourne even though according to Jethro the train doesnt stop on a Wednesday. It was the destination on my longest solo rail trip from Doncaster left at 810 arrived cambourne 1700 ish. Got absolutely hammered on the way back. I bought an 8 pack from an off licence some matelots got on at Plymouth shared a my table ended up offering them a beer they shared theird with me i was 18 at the time great times

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1