Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

My vote is for Sandling Junction (but not a junction for a long time!). It is a pleasent station with a good walk down hill to Hythe RH&DR station.

Regards

Chris H

I am going to follow Chris with Sandling Junction for the very same reason. I do like the RH&DR. Always been given a friendly welcome when chatting to the staff about the railway.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another high level view, which doesn't really work at all for me, but as sometimes happens , we'll see if you think otherwise.

165046867_6DEotherangle.JPG.b9d498e8ea8045cb71e07c62fac460b4.JPG

I quite like it on the grounds that it shows me an area that I did not get to see. Having very many times walked or cycled along Westwood Street on  the other side of the railway buildings, I often wondered what was on the other side of that high wall. The houses behind would have been the other side of Westwood Street.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, FarrMan said:

I quite like it on the grounds that it shows me an area that I did not get to see. Having very many times walked or cycled along Westwood Street on  the other side of the railway buildings, I often wondered what was on the other side of that high wall. The houses behind would have been the other side of Westwood Street.

Lloyd

A lot of this is guesswork Lloyd, as I've found very few useful images to help model it. Not designed to be viewed like this at all, of course, from ground level and the Midland lines it looks OK though.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Dartford

Ah. I was SM there in 1979/80 and frankly not the best of times for me. Although a large % of that was due to Slade Green guards, even though the LDC (Shop Stewards) were smashing chaps. Character-forming. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, great northern said:

100 Elite close couplings cost me £64.50, and my view is that they are well worth the price. I already need more though.

Gilbert, I've no hesitation in getting these for the Bachmann mk1s, do they work with latest Thompsons? Or Hornby mk1s. l emailed hunt over a week ago no reply. Victim of their own success?

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, davidw said:

Gilbert, I've no hesitation in getting these for the Bachmann mk1s, do they work with latest Thompsons? Or Hornby mk1s. l emailed hunt over a week ago no reply. Victim of their own success?

I've used the Elite straight ones on Hornby, and they are fine. Haven't done a new Thompson yet, but I've had a look underneath, and I'm sure they will work with those too.

I've also had no reply to e-mails, and he doesn't answer his phone either. Maybe he has a day job, and this has to be done in his spare time? The product is so good that I'll forgive those transgressions though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, davidw said:

I’ve used some of my ‘close coupling’ type on two Hornby Mk1s and they are fine but I’m  going to try a set of ‘ultra close’ and see how they go. 

Stating the obvious it depends on exactly how/where the NEM pocket is mounted and, depending on manufacturer that could be all over the place. Plus, of course, the curvature on the layout. They are cheap enough so I plan to get a selection so that with a bit of experimentation I can choose an ideal for each vehicle. I can’t imagine any going to waste.

• Like 2

I'll vote for St John's near Lewisham simply because I lived very near there whilst at University and I know where it is. New Cross is probably too big for the poll. Not lines I know well though I did travel to Gravesend from Essex once to help exhibit a layout at the Festival of Model Railways. It was easier to get a train into London and back out to Gravesend than go from Brentwood to catch the Tilbury ferry because my parents didn't drive. I was a mere thirteen years old I think.

The layout I was helping with was Epton a layout based on the  Loughton, Epping Ongar line and featured scratchbuilt  LT stock. This was during my brief membership of the Ongar MRC.

Martyn

1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

I’ve used some of my ‘close coupling’ type on two Hornby Mk1s and they are fine but I’m  going to try a set of ‘ultra close’ and see how they go. 

Stating the obvious it depends on exactly how/where the NEM pocket is mounted and, depending on manufacturer that could be all over the place. Plus, of course, the curvature on the layout. They are cheap enough so I plan to get a selection so that with a bit of experimentation I can choose an ideal for each vehicle. I can’t imagine any going to waste.

Hi Trevor can you clarify which ones your refering too?

1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

16 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

Thanks I'd be very interested to know how you get on

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Still cheaper than Kadees which I've cheerfully used for 30 years. 

True enough Ian. I don't use Kadees though. If I do go ahead it will be for intra-set couplings on coaches and vans. Locos and wagons, and the outer ends of coaching stock sets, will stay as DGs. I might get a set to try out on Bachmann Mk 1s to replace the plastic pipes.

• RMweb Premium

I wasn't going to vote in this poll because I don't know the area well. However, I have been reminded of Tenterden and in acknowledgement of some good times back in the 1980s with some lads from the KESR - and  a New Years Bash in The Pink Elephant  :dancing: -  my vote will go for Tenterden. 

• RMweb Premium

Several choices for the poll, but very few got more than one. Tenterden made a late run, and won with 3.

Today the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway, anywhere from Saxby to Yarmouth Beach, but not Melton Constable, as it has had its moment of glory already. The Norwich branch is included though.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

True enough Ian. I don't use Kadees though. If I do go ahead it will be for intra-set couplings on coaches and vans. Locos and wagons, and the outer ends of coaching stock sets, will stay as DGs. I might get a set to try out on Bachmann Mk 1s to replace the plastic pipes.

In my opinion, these are vastly preferable to the plastic pipes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, great northern said:

Several choices for the poll, but very few got more than one. Tenterden made a late run, and won with 3.

Today the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway, anywhere from Saxby to Yarmouth Beach, but not Melton Constable, as it has had its moment of glory already. The Norwich branch is included though.

My choice has won two days running. Can we make it a hat trick with Bourne today. Home of Delaine Buses. I used to catch the Bourne bus as far as Market Deeping and change their to see friends between Uffington and Tallington. Later I cycled, and would often watch an A4 at full speed at Tallington level crossing - quite a sight at such close quarters.

I was looking at a 1939 Midland CWN recently, and was surprised at how many long distance cross country trains appeared to start from a small place like Bourne.

Lloyd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Ooh, Tenterden is stretching it a bit. Your requirement implied the main lines to the Kent coast...

• Agree 1