Peterborough North

great northern

6 minutes ago, great northern said:

Continuing to follow the progress of the Heart of Midlothian, and Melton is coming to a halt, while Book Law waits to take over.

634705591_152A3s2.JPG.f29239b04eb4432ec696f57df9c13d75.JPG

I was under the impression that all the A3s were fitted with Double chimneys by 58. I assume by the number of single chimney versions here and at LB that Im wrong? When were they fitted?

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, davidw said:

I was under the impression that all the A3s were fitted with Double chimneys by 58. I assume by the number of single chimney versions here and at LB that Im wrong? When were they fitted?

First one was fitted in June 58 David, so there were not many by my period. I take the view though that they will have been preferred when they were available, the word having got round about what a difference they made.

Summer 1958 Ian Allan shows 12 having been converted by 23rd August 58. The last wasn't done until November 59.

• Thanks 1

G'Day Folks

I'm going for Seaford, Mum and Dad were going to buy a new Semi, back in 1963, just off the sea front, had a third deposit, but couldn't get a mortgage for 2,000 pounds, so we came to Australia instead.

manna 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, great northern said:

The Bluebell line dominated the poll. Horsted Keynes 3 Sheffield Park 2, and quite a lot of single votes.

Today, we'll go from London to Southend, both routes, and include the branches from Shenfield and Witham to the coast.

The whole LTSR route is just wonderful , as were the 2-6-4 Tanks that worked it, ( all them, the Staniers, the Standards, and the odd Fowler). I’ll go for Chalkwell, one of the very few seaside stations in this country that were right next to the beach. You literally came off the train on to to beach, followed by a day playing in the sea, while watching the trains coming and going, then hoping the train back home would be non stop between Leigh on Sea and Upminster so you be hitting 80 mph by West Horndon back in the days when you could still have your head out the window. Just wonderful.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, great northern said:

The Bluebell line dominated the poll. Horsted Keynes 3 Sheffield Park 2, and quite a lot of single votes.

Today, we'll go from London to Southend, both routes, and include the branches from Shenfield and Witham to the coast.

Cor blimey Gilbert

Witham to Southend via the curve at Maldon connecting the Witham line with Maldon West,and Woodham Ferrers line, then the south curve at Wickford taking it on to the Southend Victoria line. There was a curve off the Maldon line on to the Colchester line at Witham. The plan was to enable rapid movement of troops from Shoeburyness to Colchester (or the other way). All these connecting curves were taken up very early on as they were never used despite it being stated as one of the advantages in building the Southend Branch, the Southminster branch and line to Maldon West when it was put forward to Parliament in obtaining the act to build these lines. 

When you say both routes do you mean Fenchurch St via Grays?

Or Fenchurch St via Laindon?

Or Fenchurch St via Bow and Shenfield?

Or Liverpool St via Shenfield?

Or Liverpool St via Forest Gate then via Grays?

Or Liverpool St via Forest Gate then via Laindon?

Or St Pancras via Woodgrange Park then via Grays?

Or St Pancras via Woodgrange Park then via Laindon?

I am going for Woodgrange Park so I can watch the various freight workings to and from the north that bypass London, the boat trains from St Pancras to Tilbury Riverside and the Bank Holiday Specials form Bedford and Luton to Southend.

Edit If there is engineering works, say in the East Ham area, trains could always go from Fenchurch St via bow, via Forest Gate then via Grays or Laindon. :punish:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Cor blimey Gilbert

Witham to Southend via the curve at Maldon connecting the Witham line with Maldon West,and Woodham Ferrers line, then the south curve at Wickford taking it on to the Southend Victoria line. There was a curve off the Maldon line on to the Colchester line at Witham. The plan was to enable rapid movement of troops from Shoeburyness to Colchester (or the other way). All these connecting curves were taken up very early on as they were never used despite it being stated as one of the advantages in building the Southend Branch, the Southminster branch and line to Maldon West when it was put forward to Parliament in obtaining the act to build these lines. 

When you say both routes do you mean Fenchurch St via Grays?

Or Fenchurch St via Laindon?

Or Fenchurch St via Bow and Shenfield?

Or Liverpool St via Shenfield?

Or Liverpool St via Forest Gate then via Grays?

Or Liverpool St via Forest Gate then via Laindon?

Or St Pancras via Woodgrange Park then via Grays?

Or St Pancras via Woodgrange Park then via Laindon?

I am going for Woodgrange Park so I can watch the various freight workings to and from the north that bypass London, the boat trains from St Pancras to Tilbury Riverside and the Bank Holiday Specials form Bedford and Luton to Southend.

Edit If there is engineering works, say in the East Ham area, trains could always go from Fenchurch St via bow, via Forest Gate then via Grays or Laindon. :punish:

You could get the 7.35 am Sundays Only from Cricklewood, which is still London, to Southend Central , via Woodgrange Park or, in days of yore , an excursion from North Woolwich to Southend Victoria via the curve at Stratford, the name of which escapes me, but which was lifted around 1962 ish, I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, for this poll, it has to be Upminster, since there were family connections there, with my great Uncle Lewis living there. He was on BR in the fifties until he died in the mid sixties. He was in the ER of BR, and a chief timetabler. 
When he came to visit us, in Beverley, he would always have railway books for me, just loved his visits. Happy times, long gone.

Rob.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Leigh-on-Sea.

Anyone for cockles?

7 hours ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Leigh on Sea if only for the Beer & Cockles in 1966 whilst working at Tilbury Power Station.

I was too young for beer :(

• Like 1