Peterborough North

great northern

Clive stated :-   Witham, Colchester, Chelmsford, and Ipswich were all places I lived and worked, in fact I lived in Derby Road, just down from the station.

May we refer to you as Gipsy Clive Mortimore in future. i knew you referred to Horses but never realised they pulled your caravan around North Lincolnshire.

How do you fit a model railway in?

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Clive stated :-   Witham, Colchester, Chelmsford, and Ipswich were all places I lived and worked, in fact I lived in Derby Road, just down from the station.

May we refer to you as Gipsy Clive Mortimore in future. i knew you referred to Horses but never realised they pulled your caravan around North Lincolnshire.

How do you fit a model railway in?

Clive has been everywhere, and had a go at just about every job ever invented. Unfortunately this does mean that he gets rather a lot of tasks inside and outside his home these days. There is a caravan, but he doesn't live in it. And he has a lovely railway room too, which he occasionally visits when he isn't pulling up ragwort or thistles, or clipping conifers, or plumbing, or decorating, or.........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, CUTLER2579 said:

Oh, so he doesn't make pegs or sell lucky heather then !!

Not so far as I know, but he could make the pegs OK, just a bit of cutting and shutting needed. And what a great idea that's given me, he could sell lucky ragwort.  "Ends all your troubles and sorrows, Sir".

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

I was very tempted by Ongar - where I first went by 1962 Tube Stock - on a "Track Recording Train" run, but then did not visit for many years and last rode into the station on the footplate of Met No.1 0-4-4T from North Weald.

However, my vote goes to Saffron Walden which was a pretty station served by some very bucolic branch trains.

Regards

Chris H

31 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

I was very tempted by Ongar - where I first went by 1962 Tube Stock - on a "Track Recording Train" run, but then did not visit for many years and last rode into the station on the footplate of Met No.1 0-4-4T from North Weald.

However, my vote goes to Saffron Walden which was a pretty station served by some very bucolic branch trains.

Regards

Chris H

OK I’ll go for Saffron Walden as well for the same reasons.  Plus on the roundy -roundy layout of my early teenage  years I often spent the day running the real life Audley End - Bartlow timetable in which most trains only went as far as Saffron Walden then back again to Audley End , the service being operated by a Triang Jinty and  two LMS coaches.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

If the heather was that lucky they wouldn't need to sell it

I will go for Ipswich seen as i have visited the station

I was once lucky enough to know a girl called Heather (no, she wasn't the one who lived at Dalmeny).

8 hours ago, mullie said:

How about Clare, I think it was unique as it was built in the grounds of a castle. Any station on the Stour Valley or Colne valley is worth a vote in my view.

Martyn

3 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

I'll go with Clare to, as I live near Clare in South Australia.

manna

Clare didn't live at Dalmeny either...

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

A close poll, won by Saffron Walden with 3 votes. Braintree Chappel and Clare had 2.

Today, we'll carry on from Ipswich to Norwich, and thence to Cromer and Sheringham. Also Ely to Norwich, and on to Yarmouth, and the lines between the M&GN on the North, the Kings Lynn main line on the West, and the main route north of Norwich, which brings in places like Swaffham and Dereham, and other wayside stations on those rural cross country routes. think smaller again please, the big junction stations have had their go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Berney Arms. A station named for a pub has to be a winner.

Takes some doing by train!

CIMG4326.JPG.a5c4ade797a968e3f090e3ce3f83f950.JPGWe stayed overnight in Great Yarmouth in order to catch the Sunday morning train that went that route back to Norwich - I think it was a fisherman's train (!?); definitely one of the more quirky parts of the present day network.

CIMG4325.JPG.0e82520623d6780ba5b60a5bc88ed58b.JPG

There was f$&* precious little around those parts, that I do know.

CIMG4322.JPG.f33f44fb0a53086a7d61b308b8db7d49.JPG

Am I right in saying that these nice siggernals are now history?

CIMG4350.JPG.22146e9a086e8eb85e0421e31e7e920e.JPG

Then we did some more 'required track', narrow gauge style.

Then we went home. East Anglia is a long way from home, for me.

SO - my vote also goes to the weirdest station on the network: (another category for a poll, maybe?)

Berney Arms

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 9