Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 31A said:

Sandy, with the LNW lines alongside the ECML.

3 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Sandy for me as well.

I will correct Steve's statement. "Sandy, with the ECML alongside the Bedford and Cambridge Railway station."

3 hours ago, DaveF said:

Sandy for me too.

David

2 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Sandy for me as wel.

Regards

Chris H

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

For myself it’s Sandy too. 

Rob.

1 hour ago, TrevorP1 said:

Sandy please Gilbert.

46 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I used to ride my bike to Sandy to watch Deltics.

6 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

I'll go for Sandy, Beds, as I was always amused by the name.

Lloyd

For the avoidance of doubt, Sandy did not live in Dalmeny either...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

My brother dated a girl from that part of the world (Gamlingay?) while he was at Cambridge. My father always referred to her as Sandy Beds. It was on his way back from seeing her that Keith wrote off the family car, missing a crossroads or some such. He wasn't hurt. 

• Like 4

As a young lad I used to fantasise about Sandy Beds which for some reason also brought to mind a particular young lady in the local convent school. 

But enough of such memories. Can I vote for Millbrook railway station which serves the villages of Millbrook and Marston Moretaine in Bedfordshire, England, on the Marston Vale Line, between Stewartby and Lidlington.

I recall it with great fondness as I organised the first ever exhibition t the nearby Millbrook proving ground for Motor Transport Magazine which involved shipping 75 HGV's and 1500 of the UK's top transport Managers into the proving ground, which at the time had better security than GCHQ. 

One morning we got a call that a contingent of transport managers was waiting at the station for the promised bus to the ground, but none was there. This was pre-mobile phones, so a hectic trip to the coach point by yours truly found all the drivers supping tea in their official tea breaks. Due to drivers' hours restrictions none of them could oblige, but as one of them pointed out "You've got a licence, why don't you do it?'

Having accepted the challenge I found  myself at the wheel of a brand new 40' 52 seater Scania with eight gears and all the gubbins at the back and duly set off for Millbrook station. What I forgot is there is very little parking by the station which is hard onto the road and a level crossing. I also forgot h that Transport Managers are a sarcastic bunch, so any slight hint of a missed change brought force a chorus of helpful comments "THey're all in there somewhere. Just stir the lever about and pick one". 

The best one was "I hope you've brought a magnet to get all the bits out of the gearbox!" 

Happy days

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

My brother dated a girl from that part of the world (Gamlingay?) while he was at Cambridge. My father always referred to her as Sandy Beds. It was on his way back from seeing her that Keith wrote off the family car, missing a crossroads or some such. He wasn't hurt. 

Hi Ian

That was a Bedford and Cambridge Railway station, It would make a lovely model, so would most the stations on the line.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Do I know her?  I grew up in Gamlingay!

The postal address is Sandy, Beds although it is in Cambridgeshire (and the postcode is SG for Stevenage, which is Herts).

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Ian

That was a Bedford and Cambridge Railway station, It would make a lovely model, so would most the stations on the line.

It certainly would, Clive.  Sorry this is a bit o/t; perhaps Gilbert will have a poll for stations between Cambridge and Bedford sometime?!

1017006533_GamlingayStn05.jpg.bb1d60f26bf51011dafbea29959ae546.jpg844883523_GamlingayStn07.jpg.e1f061ad44ae07457ad0794c20ac1b65.jpg

1163197569_GamlingayStn01.jpg.490c2894d9772d7e96e88a85b9e38dec.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

As a young lad I used to fantasise about Sandy Beds which for some reason also brought to mind a particular young lady in the local convent school. 

But enough of such memories. Can I vote for Millbrook railway station which serves the villages of Millbrook and Marston Moretaine in Bedfordshire, England, on the Marston Vale Line, between Stewartby and Lidlington.

I recall it with great fondness as I organised the first ever exhibition t the nearby Millbrook proving ground for Motor Transport Magazine which involved shipping 75 HGV's and 1500 of the UK's top transport Managers into the proving ground, which at the time had better security than GCHQ. 

One morning we got a call that a contingent of transport managers was waiting at the station for the promised bus to the ground, but none was there. This was pre-mobile phones, so a hectic trip to the coach point by yours truly found all the drivers supping tea in their official tea breaks. Due to drivers' hours restrictions none of them could oblige, but as one of them pointed out "You've got a licence, why don't you do it?'

Having accepted the challenge I found  myself at the wheel of a brand new 40' 52 seater Scania with eight gears and all the gubbins at the back and duly set off for Millbrook station. What I forgot is there is very little parking by the station which is hard onto the road and a level crossing. I also forgot h that Transport Managers are a sarcastic bunch, so any slight hint of a missed change brought force a chorus of helpful comments "THey're all in there somewhere. Just stir the lever about and pick one". 

The best one was "I hope you've brought a magnet to get all the bits out of the gearbox!" 

Happy days

But unfortunately not on the ECML, Peter. Good story though.

• Like 2

G'Day Folks

Going for an old quiet station, 'Holme'. Never saw it when it was there, but working trains through the remains, I was always struck by the old Somersault signal, still guarding the rusting tracks to Ramsey North, that had just been closed, I started to build a layout of the station and branch, but 13x8, just wasn't big enough.

manna

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That was a very one sided poll, with an immediate rush of votes for Sandy which meant that when other deserving stations were mentioned they stood no chance. Sandy 7 Hadley Wood 2. I may even run this one again later, but with Sandy ruled out. Not that I have anything against the place, of course.

I think I may have detected one or two hints yesterday, so today's poll covers wayside stations between Oxford and Cambridge. Rule 1, no Sandy. Rule 2 not Cambridge or Bletchley either.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Going for an old quiet station, 'Holme'. Never saw it when it was there, but working trains through the remains, I was always struck by the old Somersault signal, still guarding the rusting tracks to Ramsey North, that had just been closed, I started to build a layout of the station and branch, but 13x8, just wasn't big enough.

manna

I went and photographed what was left some years back actually, but eventually decided on something bigger.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, great northern said:

That was a very one sided poll, with an immediate rush of votes for Sandy which meant that when other deserving stations were mentioned they stood no chance. Sandy 7 Hadley Wood 2. I may even run this one again later, but with Sandy ruled out. Not that I have anything against the place, of course.

I think I may have detected one or two hints yesterday, so today's poll covers wayside stations between Oxford and Cambridge. Rule 1, no Sandy. Rule 2 not Cambridge or Bletchley either.

Gotta be Bedford St Johns. The old station not the new one.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, great northern said:

Thanks Gilbert, I hadn't intended to 'twist your arm'!

Anyway this time I WILL vote for Gamlingay.  As Clive said, it would make a nice model (although I suspect Potton station might be better for a model as it was a bit bigger and had a more interesting layout).

We didn't have a very good camera before the line closed at the end of 1967 but I have a few more snaps that my father took.  The Engineers train and crane in the first one is a bit misleading; it wasn't taken after closure, but they were lifting the sidings in the goods yard after local goods traffic ceased, which I think was in 1965.  The others are a bit gloomy really showing it towards the end of its life.

286926641_GamlingayStn02.jpg.89a4af648625630044e9d7c55102d39c.jpg688190254_GamlingayStn03.jpg.b1d143ba0003fbf4c96b135b72996bd0.jpg

506443040_GamlingayStn09.jpg.676144ca39b150091306ec2398d49df8.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, great northern said:

Verney Junction please Gilbert. I will get off there to watch the trains for Baker Street and Buckingham, followed by a pint in the Verney Arms.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another for Verney Junction - after a pint with the above, I'll catch the Metropolitan Railway train hauled by a H class 4-4-4T (in full Met Railway livery) - so about 20 years later than St Enodoc.

I'm looking forward to travelling through Verney Junction again in the next few years - the East-West line is being worked on now.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2
  • Agree 2