Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Verney Junction for me too, ideally in 1907. After my pint with Trevor, I'd catch the shuttle to Grandborough Junction, then change for Buckingham Great Central.

5 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Another for Verney Junction - after a pint with the above, I'll catch the Metropolitan Railway train hauled by a H class 4-4-4T (in full Met Railway livery) - so about 20 years later than St Enodoc.

I'm looking forward to travelling through Verney Junction again in the next few years - the East-West line is being worked on now.

Regards

Chris H

I'm thinking that with all of us at Verney Junction possibly we could stay overnight and take the Met down to Quainton Road where we would have a trip on the Brill Tramway. I understand from friends in the area that at the time of our visit there were five pubs in Quainton. We would be a merry bunch or railway time travellers!

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Another very one sided poll. Verney Junction 7, the rest one each. I could disqualify it, as you only wanted to go there for the beer, but I won't.

On up the ECML today, from Peterborough to Doncaster, both of which are excluded. Here are your choices. Tallington, Little Bytham, Corby Glen, Great Ponton, Barkston, Hougham, Claypole, Newark North Gate, Crow Park, Tuxford, Ranskill Bawtry and Rossington. Not Essendine or Retford, which have been considered in the Junction category.

You'll have seen photos of most of these, even if you aren't otherwise familiar with them, so where would you like to have stood and watched the trains go by?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Tuxford. Our school model railway had a station of that name (although it did not resemble the real one in any way). The other end of the line was Mansfield (Southwell Road).

So, in my imagination, I could watch not only the East Coast Main Line itself but also a selection of 0 gauge three-rail locos hauling LMS Exley coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Newark North Gate for me too.  Well preserved GN buildings on the down side, including as far as I know the only remaining GN platform canopy with the distinctive trusses and a nice clock (although I don't think it works any longer).  Probably more of a junction these days than it used to be!

Here's a couple of rubbishy photos:

854057808_NewarkNgateDec1005.jpg.8b595ec27d2623fb19cfd3a7f6266c5e.jpg

1613825633_NewarkNorthgateclock06_03_11.jpg.4bdde30cac8f01d43befbf2ff1651c6d.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Another very one sided poll. Verney Junction 7, the rest one each. I could disqualify it, as you only wanted to go there for the beer, but I won't.

On up the ECML today, from Peterborough to Doncaster, both of which are excluded. Here are your choices. Tallington, Little Bytham, Corby Glen, Great Ponton, Barkston, Hougham, Claypole, Newark North Gate, Crow Park, Tuxford, Ranskill Bawtry and Rossington. Not Essendine or Retford, which have been considered in the Junction category.

You'll have seen photos of most of these, even if you aren't otherwise familiar with them, so where would you like to have stood and watched the trains go by?

Little Bytham of course and we could catch up with Tony in The Willoughby Arms... :drinks::ok:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My vote goes to Tallington, it is the nearest station to Lolham and the crossing by the bridges over the Welland - where Grandfather took me on a bicycle ride to watch trains.

I would have been about 8 at the time. But apart from pictures and models I know little of the other allowed stations.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

I could vote for all of them.  This is my stamping ground for my work Sins!!!!

I’ll pick Newark Northgate. The Downside buildings are the originals, the clock does work.  Currently, it is more reliable than the a digital ones.
Yes it is a junction with through trains restored to Lincoln, but originally it was the junction for the GNR/LNWR line through the Vale of Belvoir to Market Harborough.  

The first incident I had to deal with was at Newark, 17 years ago. I spent 12 hours acting as Pilotman for Single Line Working to Claypole.  

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

I could vote for all of them.  This is my stamping ground for my work Sins!!!!

I’ll pick Newark Northgate. The Downside buildings are the originals, the clock does work.  Currently, it is more reliable than the a digital ones.
Yes it is a junction with through trains restored to Lincoln, but originally it was the junction for the GNR/LNWR line through the Vale of Belvoir to Market Harborough.  

The first incident I had to deal with was at Newark, 17 years ago. I spent 12 hours acting as Pilotman for Single Line Working to Claypole.  

Paul

Good to know the clock works now; when I'd been through there recently it wasn't working.  By recently, I mean before March!  I think the 'new branch' to Lincoln (after the new curve was put in when the E. Lincs closed in the 1970s?) has a much more frequent trains service than the GN & LNW line ever did!??

• Like 1