Peterborough North

great northern

The new connection for Lincoln went in around 1966.  This allowed the closure of the direct Grantham to Lincoln via Barkston and Honington to close.

The current arrangement of lines north of Newark Northgate date from the mid 70’s.

You are quite correct, there are more services to Lincoln than there ever was over the Joint line.

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll say Wellingborough London Road, as we lived in Wellingborough when I was very young and I vaguely remember seeing a train at the level crossing there!

Would make a nice model with elegant buildings, even crossing, connection to the Midland main line, and sidings for ironstone quarries and the mill.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

My vote goes to "Oundle", the remaining buildings are interesting.

The other tempting ones would be "Wansford" or "Castle Ashby and Earls Barton" - but then there is "Seaton Junction" for Uppingham.

Trouble with a lot of those stations is they were quite a step from the places they purported to serve.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Trouble with a lot of those stations is they were quite a step from the places they purported to serve.

A good clue is when the station has two different places named in its name. That usually means it's miles from either of 'em.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Originating from Artleknock (Anglo-Saxon name for Irthlingborough) it has to be Irthlingborough Station on the Northampton to Peterborough Line.

Like other stations on the line it was originally known as Irthlingborough & Higham Ferrers owing to the central position in the Nene Valley before Higham Ferrers had its own station on the Wellingborough to Rushden/Higham Ferrers Line. 

Also agree with 31A about Wellingborough London Road as a source of modelling inspiration with the Whitworths Flour Mill and the Irchester ironstone traffic.

Plenty of industrial action finishing with one of Oxfordshire Ironstone Company's Sentinel in the style of Hornby`s outside cranked version. 

Someone mentioned Castle Ashby/Earls Barton as well. The goods shed survived as a restaurant called Dunkley's including an old LMS carriage. Sadly now gone I believe. 

Ditchford Station on the Northampton-Peterborough Line and the legend of the Treacle Mines also springs to mind. A far flung relative was supposed to be Station Master there. 

Ditchford in later years was very aromomatic with Chettles not far away.. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 2