Peterborough North

great northern

Cockburnspath. My father was born in the station house there. His father was stationmaster there. My father was born in 1935 and for the first 12 years of his life lived in stations on the ECML and on the Waverley route at Stow. Can you imagine the trains he must have seen!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Prestonpans. I once had a holiday job in a drawing office there which backed on to the railway. Also the scene of a serious derailment in 1980 caused by vandalism, not to mention the first battle in the Jacobite rising in 1745.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Now we come to what I may have missed. Are there any more of the cross country lines which you would like to see included? There are plenty about which I know very little.

How about the cross country lines in the south such as Reading - Basingstoke, the DN&S or MSWJR?

The S&D has rites to a poll of it’s own...

Of course I may have been asleep and missed those!

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Now we come to what I may have missed. Are there any more of the cross country lines which you would like to see included? There are plenty about which I know very little.

There's potentially loads Gilbert but it depends how much you want this to go on.

If you think of 'Cross Country' as the modern day North East - South West axis, then I think we've covered it from Newcastle to York and then on to Sheffield (the other day). Thereafter? Onwards via Derby to Birmingham (the latter section not necessarily its most notable). Then from Birmingham down the Lickey and on via Cheltenham to Bristol.

And what have we done of the GW onwards via Exeter, the iconic seawall to Plymouth and Penzance? Did we do the branch lines in the latter area? Plenty of nice places on the mainline down there?

Somerset and Dorset - did we do that?

The Principality?! North Wales route seems an obvious one (think we might have done seaside termini up there - which is where all this started). And then there's the lovely Borders route (Chester-Shrewsbury-Hereford-Newport).

Slightly parochially, there's much to go at in the county of Lancashire. Bolton-Blackburn-Clitheroe is lovely, and then there's the routes out towards the Fylde coast and Blackpool...

Perhaps a map is needed, marking off what's already been done?!

• RMweb Premium

Today my vote goes to Chat Hill, despite not knowing it well, but because in the past it was the junction for the North Sunderland Railway - a very early user of Diesel traction with the "Lady Armstong" an Armstrong Whitworth jack-shaft drive rod coupled 0-4-0. They also had a very beautiful Manning & Wardle 0-6-0ST "Bamburgh".

Regarding the "Holes" in the map I would support Trevor P's suggestions and also a look round the West Midlands and Central Wales.

Regards

Chris H

P.S. This was nearly finished when Sandhole's offering came in!

Edited by Metropolitan H
Spelling correction - my apologies to Sandhole
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

There's potentially loads Gilbert but it depends how much you want this to go on.

If you think of 'Cross Country' as the modern day North East - South West axis, then I think we've covered it from Newcastle to York and then on to Sheffield (the other day). Thereafter? Onwards via Derby to Birmingham (the latter section not necessarily its most notable). Then from Birmingham down the Lickey and on via Cheltenham to Bristol.

And what have we done of the GW onwards via Exeter, the iconic seawall to Plymouth and Penzance? Did we do the branch lines in the latter area? Plenty of nice places on the mainline down there?

Somerset and Dorset - did we do that?

The Principality?! North Wales route seems an obvious one (think we might have done seaside termini up there - which is where all this started). And then there's the lovely Borders route (Chester-Shrewsbury-Hereford-Newport).

Slightly parochially, there's much to go at in the county of Lancashire. Bolton-Blackburn-Clitheroe is lovely, and then there's the routes out towards the Fylde coast and Blackpool...

Perhaps a map is needed, marking off what's already been done?!

Not to mention lines that are not part of the national network, such as the London Underground and others (Mornington Crescent?).

Or how about joint lines in general?

Edited by St Enodoc

26 minutes ago, great northern said:

The original intention of Friday's meeting at Newark was that Steve 31A would hop off a train from York, hand something over to me, and quite soon hop on to a train back home. Happily, this turned into a meeting of four reprobates, and lasted a little longer, though the icy wind meant that we all headed for home sooner than we might have wished.

However, the original purpose was fulfilled, and I came home with this.

1318944463_1D1441.JPG.fc78692b2814ac2a9a6a9d7a38ae397e.JPG

186908870_2d1442.JPG.c4d77d4d3cef1abd96328377fe186402.JPG

I really do love Gresley coaches, and catering cars in particular. I already have a few, but all of the earlier diagrams. Allen Doherty of Worsley Works does  Dia 144 car sides in his 3mm range, and kindly upped it to 4mm for me. Off it went to Steve, who, as you see, has done a lovely job. This will get a lot of work on the many trains made up from cassettes and loose stock, as I don't want it sitting in a rake in the fiddle yard that only runs twice in the whole sequence.

Lovely coach. I have fond memories of working in a Gresley Buffet car on SRPS railtours in the late seventies

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Today my vote goes to Chat Hill, despite not knowing it well, but because in the past it was the junction for the North Sunderland Railway - a very early user of Diesel traction with the "Lady Armstong" an Armstrong Whitworth jack-shaft drive rod coupled 0-4-0. They also had a very beautiful Manning & Wardle 0-6-0ST "Bamburgh".

Regarding the "Holes" in the map I would support Trevor P's suggestions and also a look round the West Midlands and Central Wales.

Regards

Chris H

P.S. This was nearly finished when Sandhole's offering came in!

I am proud to run an early High Level Armstrong Whitworth diesel as part of my industrial bit on my low level.
She was built for me by Coachbogie and runs better and better the older she gets.
She'll roll through doctored Peco Settrack points.
This is with a bendy chassis and Gibson wheels.
Moral is, play with it first before saying something won't work.!!

• RMweb Premium

Drem 

Handy for close up viewing of the trains on the North Berwick Branch with a variety of ex N.B.R, classes working them to and from the Waverley. 

Oh yes - plenty of main line workings of course, featuring the bigger LNER classes on both passenger and freight work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 60027Merlin said:

Drem 

Handy for close up viewing of the trains on the North Berwick Branch with a variety of ex N.B.R, classes working them to and from the Waverley. 

Oh yes - plenty of main line workings of course, featuring the bigger LNER classes on both passenger and freight work.

I photographed Drem as a possible layout location getting on thirty years ago Eric. We were on a golfing holiday staying at the Royal hotel in North Berwick at the time. It looked as though it was on its last legs, so I presume has closed long before now. As with most of my proposed schemes, this one got no further.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, great northern said:

I photographed Drem as a possible layout location getting on thirty years ago Eric. We were on a golfing holiday staying at the Royal hotel in North Berwick at the time. It looked as though it was on its last legs, so I presume has closed long before now. As with most of my proposed schemes, this one got no further.

Not closed at all!  Looks quite smart actually, as do most Scotrail stations:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36034969@N08/28859107071/

5 hours ago, great northern said:

The original intention of Friday's meeting at Newark was that Steve 31A would hop off a train from York, hand something over to me, and quite soon hop on to a train back home. Happily, this turned into a meeting of four reprobates, and lasted a little longer, though the icy wind meant that we all headed for home sooner than we might have wished.

However, the original purpose was fulfilled, and I came home with this.

1318944463_1D1441.JPG.fc78692b2814ac2a9a6a9d7a38ae397e.JPG

186908870_2d1442.JPG.c4d77d4d3cef1abd96328377fe186402.JPG

I really do love Gresley coaches, and catering cars in particular. I already have a few, but all of the earlier diagrams. Allen Doherty of Worsley Works does  Dia 144 car sides in his 3mm range, and kindly upped it to 4mm for me. Off it went to Steve, who, as you see, has done a lovely job. This will get a lot of work on the many trains made up from cassettes and loose stock, as I don't want it sitting in a rake in the fiddle yard that only runs twice in the whole sequence.

Gilbert,

A very nice vehicle and a far more interesting reason to be meeting up on a railway station than what some members of the travelling public get up to???????

If you partake in these clandestine meetings again at Newark, keep an eye out for a relative youngest wearing his MOM’s suit.

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, great northern said:

Sorry Steve, I was referring to the hotel, not the station, but I didn't compose the reply very well.

Oh sorry Gilbert, I think it was my reading of it that was deficient!