Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, great northern said:

I photographed Drem as a possible layout location getting on thirty years ago Eric. We were on a golfing holiday staying at the Royal hotel in North Berwick at the time. It looked as though it was on its last legs, so I presume has closed long before now. As with most of my proposed schemes, this one got no further.

Gilbert 

I understand that the hotel building is now a Dental Centre.

Eric

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, davidw said:

Pity Hornby don't revise their gresleys and include an RF. Still happy with hunt couplings?

I don't think they are going to do anything about their Gresleys David, let alone add to the range, but then I didn't expect Thompson Pacifics and the W1 either. I wonder if stock for one of the streamliners is more likely.

As to the Hunt couplings, yes I'm very happy with them, and they are increasing the Elite range, so quite a lot of stock with the old type Hornby couplings can get done as well. The guy took the trouble to phone me during the week, and was very helpful indeed. Now I'm not so happy with stock with kadees any more, but Bachmann don't do MK1 bogies with NEM pockets as spares, so my first thought has gone out of the window.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A close poll, Morpeth 4 Chathill 3. As you may have gathered, my intention has been to start with the largest, and work down, so single track branch lines were next on the list. However, from the very helpful suggestions it is clear that I have missed out whole swathes of interesting lines, so we'll continue as we are at present. So today, Chester to Holyhead please, wayside stations, but no large junctions.

• RMweb Premium

Now that's a tough choice...

Llanfair PG, just because?

Rhyl, with the miniature railway next to the main line?

Conway, with the bridge and castle enhancing the scene?

On balance, it has to be Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Conway.

When I was about 13 we had a family holiday in a caravan park just outside Conway. Typical North Wales summer weather, Mum, Dad and my brother were not to happy.  I thought it was great, we over looked the railway line and I spent most the holiday looking out the window at class 40s passing by.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Gilbert,

A very nice vehicle and a far more interesting reason to be meeting up on a railway station than what some members of the travelling public get up to???????

If you partake in these clandestine meetings again at Newark, keep an eye out for a relative youngest wearing his MOM’s suit.

Paul

Would that be one of your work colleagues then Paul.  :lol:

• Funny 3

9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Now that's a tough choice...

Llanfair PG, just because?

Rhyl, with the miniature railway next to the main line?

Conway, with the bridge and castle enhancing the scene?

On balance, it has to be Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

That's easy for you to say ...

I'll go for RHYL. My great aunt used to live there and we once used the BR NWCE to travel there and back from Chester to see her, motive power being 45596 - very nice. An amusing incident at Chester was the late running of the service train (HST), meaning 45596 went first. Being a BR run train, ordinary passengers with tickets were advised to board in order to get to Holyhead quickest - there was plenty of room on board (being a BR-advertised special!) and with the blanket 60mph speed limit on the route in those days, the journey time was much the same. The priceless moment on the journey was when the 45596 sales rep came through the train asking these 'ordinary' passengers  whether they wanted to buy a badge of the locomotive pulling the train!

Rhyl station is quite a grand affair but not the location it was following removal of the semaphores. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, trw1089 said:

Llainfair PG for me.  Read about it in a Guinness Book of Records when I was a kid and managed to visit it a couple of years ago.  

I first went in about 1963. I've a photo of me standing next to the sign with my Dad. In 1986 we went back and I have another photo of my children, my Dad and myself standing in the same place (different sign though!).

• Friendly/supportive 2

Colwyn Bay.  Wartime home of the Ministry of Food ("Dig for Britain!") and the station where you almost have to fall off the trains, as the station is on a fairly sharp superelevated curve.

Also, my Mother's side of the family from from there.  :)

Anyone who has any photos of unrebuilt Patriot 5525 "Colwyn Bay" from 1946/7/8, I'd love to hear from you.  I'm trying to figure out if it ever received the 1946 livery (I think it did) and if there are any specifics I need to know to model it.

• RMweb Premium

Has to be Conway for me, as it is such a magnificent location overlooked by the castle and I have been there.

I might have voted for Rhyl - on the basis of the Miniature Railway with its Barnes Atlantics, but I have not yet got there - only passed through.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Prestatyn for me, having been born there, live there, and modelled it in N gauge...!  Wonderful branch line to Dyserth up some impressive gradients, and in its heyday had 4 platforms and a queue of trains of all shapes and sizes...much nicer than Rhyl ;)

David 

• Like 2