Peterborough North

great northern

Some pleasant scenery north of Derby so I will go for:

Duffield, where you can still change trains for Wirksworth (when the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway is running). A busy four-track section in its day. In my first years with BR based in Derby, the Wirksworth branch was still in use (sort of) and I remember going down there a few times to play with track maintenance machines - great fun!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

We are moving from rural South Wiltshire to lovely Buxton (I lived near Ashbourne for 20 years when the BRB Tech Centre was busy) so I vote for Buxton - a bit off track but a lovely part of Britain.

• RMweb Gold

Dore and Totley please.  My good friend David Bailey who used to record lots of steam specials has a particularly excellent recording of 45305 climbing to Dore and Totley tunnel.  Made me fall in love with UK steam all over again and got me back into modelling in OO scale.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some strange things going on at the moment, but no doubt it will all settle down eventually. The poll was won by Duffield with 4 votes.

We will carry on from Birmingham down to Bristol today, assuming that your replies actually get on here. I have several notifications, but the replies, so far, aren't coming through.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, great northern said:

Some strange things going on at the moment, but no doubt it will all settle down eventually. The poll was won by Duffield with 4 votes.

We will carry on from Birmingham down to Bristol today, assuming that your replies actually get on here. I have several notifications, but the replies, so far, aren't coming through.

By any route?

• RMweb Gold

Cheltenham Spa, where monthly, 25 years ago, I would change from an HST that I had joined in Swindon, into a 158 to Brum, and thence another HST for an afternoon meeting in Derby. My day had started on the 5.41 from Staplehurst, and then the 08.00 from Padlington. Meetings at Swindon were a bit truncated so I could catch the train to Cheltenham!

• Like 3