Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

I see you've not (yet) had a response to this, Gilbert.

There's a danger of me commenting from a position of mixed knowledge; however, the following is quoted from some notes I made from 'Memoirs of a railway engineer' by E (Edgar) J Larkin:

Types of repair:

1) Heavy General Repair - complete strip down of every sub-assembly and component. 1.5 days initial stripping, 8 working days in the repair shop then paint shop. 16 working days (my notes aren't clear - that MIGHT be 16 days in the paint shop)

2) Heavy Service Repair - a change of boiler or cylinders. 6 working days (hence no visit to paint shop)

3) Light Service Repair - specified work other than 1) or 2)

(obviously these are planned / target times. ACTUAL time on works could vary according to circumstances)

Hence a works visit without paint shop would be quite common. Paintwork would be cleaned but, unless there was a concerted campaign or some other special instructions then it could well come out of works with old emblem.

Note that Mr. Larkin was a LMS/LMR man so what I quote above might not be quite how it was on the Eastern Region. In particular, 'casual heavy repair' is not amongst the above categories!

Thanks Graham. Looking at Yeadon, it seems that general overhauls at Doncaster took somewhere between six and eight weeks, that's from entering works presumably to being sent back into traffic after testing and a bit of running in. That's why I thought nineteen days was far too short.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, great northern said:

I am happy today, as I played six shots under my handicap today. Fellow golfers will know that doesn't happen very often.

I gather you get called a 'bandit' if it happens too often ...

Congratulations on your -6 round :smoke:

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I gather you get called a 'bandit' if it happens too often ...

Congratulations on your -6 round :smoke:

Banditry is alleged if you do it every time, which I certainly don't. There are those though who do preserve an artificially high handicap in order to take the money frequently when playing "friendly" matches.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Wadebridge to Padstow for me too.

Unlike the surviving GWR branchlines, the LSWR's 'withered arm' suffered heavily in the ravages of Beeching so there is not much left to explore by rail these days in the Duchy. The section of line along the Camel estuary and the crossing of the iconic bridge over Little Petherick creek must have been a wonderful trip behind a T9. At least it survives for walkers and cyclists. On the bucket list although I don't get down them parts very often.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"Bodmin North, or as we call it now, Sainsbury's, was a delightful little terminus that has no doubt sired many a model railway layout." So says Peter Coster in The Steaming Sixties Vol 4, and who am I to argue with my former boss? I visited in 1961 from Wadebridge behind a pannier. The Camel Valley route, including the exchange sidings and the branch to Wenford, was a sheer delight. 

• Like 5

Gilbert,

Wadebridge for me.  

Further to Graham’s comments on the 19 day turn around. Did the Boiler change feature different diagrams of boiler.  It is quite possible a partial repaint took place, which may have led to the later crest being applied to the tender at the same time.

Paul

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Gilbert,

Wadebridge for me.  

Further to Graham’s comments on the 19 day turn around. Did the Boiler change feature different diagrams of boiler.  It is quite possible a partial repaint took place, which may have led to the later crest being applied to the tender at the same time.

Paul

No, same type of boiler. We are looking at 60061, which was in for casual heavy repair for just 19 days, 2nd to 21st December. It received the boiler which had come off 60086, in for a full general from 11/11 to 19/12, 38 days, and came off Plant just 2 days before 60061. 60086 got the boiler from 60075, which was in for general  from 4/11 to 6/12, 32 days. 60075's boiler had been taken off 60088, in from 17/8 to 29/7, 41 days, and so had been lying spare for 3 months or more.

All were Dia 94A boilers, and there were no tender changes. Does that assist in any way?

Manna

They're not the only hazards on our local golf course!

You have to watch out for pine cones being dropped on your head by these - 

775600041_IMG_7487pss.jpg.9e9a0559f486ddfe536ba7c09e9006d2.jpg

or the distraction of watching these

652982572_IMG_9456pssharpened.jpg.51e57a20f900d9016993a52e585156ed.jpg

Edited by Woodcock29
typo
  • Like 16

16 hours ago, great northern said:

No, same type of boiler. We are looking at 60061, which was in for casual heavy repair for just 19 days, 2nd to 21st December. It received the boiler which had come off 60086, in for a full general from 11/11 to 19/12, 38 days, and came off Plant just 2 days before 60061. 60086 got the boiler from 60075, which was in for general  from 4/11 to 6/12, 32 days. 60075's boiler had been taken off 60088, in from 17/8 to 29/7, 41 days, and so had been lying spare for 3 months or more.

All were Dia 94A boilers, and there were no tender changes. Does that assist in any way?

Gilbert, its possible 60061 had a defect within the boiler or firebox that was too big for the Boliersmith at her depot  to deal with or she may have been declared a failure whilst in service.  Hence the short visit and a boiler change.  Anyway, based on previous known practices at the Plant, the opportunity to replace the crest with the new Heraldic version would probably have been taken to please HQ.  After all the tender is sitting around in the yard waiting for the loco to be sorted out. 

Paul

• Like 1