Peterborough North

great northern

The Wye Valley route twixt Chepstow and Monmouth must have taken some beating when there was a railway there. Having been a couple of times in a road motor vehicle and paused at the remains of Tintern Abbey. What a fantastic setting for a railway.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Poll was won by Abingdon, with 3 votes. Let's try single track branches around Gloucester and the Forest of Dean, not just termini, those lovely cross country branches as well.

I'm going for the Gloucester - Ledbury line.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, great northern said:

Poll was won by Abingdon, with 3 votes. Let's try single track branches around Gloucester and the Forest of Dean, not just termini, those lovely cross country branches as well.

Are we still on a GWR theme? If so the Drybrook branch in the Forest. Pannier tanks with Berry Higgins tank wagons. :yahoo:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Poll won by Ross -Monmouth with 2 votes, but few were cast again. I'm not comfortable with these foreign parts, so we will return to more familiar ground. If anyone has areas they feel could be included though, let me know, and,perhaps with a bit of help, I'll use them.

So today we return to the area between the ECML and the Waverley route, the southern boundary being the Newcastle to Carlisle line. Single track heaven.

I have to admit I've not voted in some of the recent polls as I don't know the areas concerned. For the most recent one I will consult my various books and the interweb as I think I could have a go at this one though I haven't visited the area. I've been to Whitby and Edinburgh but not the area in between.

Martyn

• Agree 1

It won't surprise you at all to hear of my nomination today as being the Border Counties railway from Hexham to Riccarton Junction, via - ahem - Reedsmouth Junction.

Wonderful triumph of hope over reality, particularly the northern section - and it notably featured one of the 'other' England-Scotland border signs, close to Deadwater station (serving just six houses!)

Might just be able to squeeze that (border sign) in on my grand scheme.

An idea for a different poll - favourite station buffets (possibly done on a regional basis)

Alternatively - time for a rest for a bit!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

It won't surprise you at all to hear of my nomination today as being the Border Counties railway from Hexham to Riccarton Junction, via - ahem - Reedsmouth Junction.

Wonderful triumph of hope over reality, particularly the northern section - and it notably featured one of the 'other' England-Scotland border signs, close to Deadwater station (serving just six houses!)

May I echo this please