Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, drmditch said:

I fear that Gen. Incompetence has under his command Brigadier Bodger and Lt.Colonel Rushed Job, and they quite frequently attempt to make inroads onto my railway as well.

I find the only way to keep them under control is to have an efficient inspection regime; as in 'would I really want anyone else to see that?' and 'will that work for the next 25 years?'

An efficient inspection regime?  Hmmmm...  Not sure whether that word efficient still applies to me. If it ever did.

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, great northern said:

Right, got things sorted now, so here is 61576 resting, journey at an end.

552942338_915762.JPG.94f193138cc00f54cce2572a31dac1af.JPG

Good evening Gilbert,

Why is that every time you show a picture of the B12 I made for you, the bogie is off the road?

It looks like the pivot arm on the bogie has become distorted, bending too far down at the front. I advise just re-adjusting it by bending it up slightly; carefully.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Gilbert,

Why is that every time you show a picture of the B12 I made for you, the bogie is off the road?

It looks like the pivot arm on the bogie has become distorted, bending too far down at the front. I advise just re-adjusting it by bending it up slightly; carefully.

Regards,

Tony. 

I don't know what happens Tony. I do know that it ran round from the fiddle yard perfectly, which it surely would not have done if the bogie was off track, so how that happens after it has come to a halt is a mystery.

• RMweb Premium

After replying to Tony, I remembered that I also took a rear three quarter view. Nothing has changed since I took the first one. Does it look off from this angle? I'm not sure it does.

586340472_15rearview.JPG.712956f5cf9bfba0b7a88d83722a91a2.JPG

Having blown up the originals as far as I can, I'd say it has ridden up slightly, but is not derailed.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, great northern said:

I don't know what happens Tony. I do know that it ran round from the fiddle yard perfectly, which it surely would not have done if the bogie was off track, so how that happens after it has come to a halt is a mystery.

Good morning Gilbert,

Because the leading bogie wheels are on the track, it won't completely derail - it's effectively a sort of 2-6-0. 

Just take the loco off the track and place it on a flat surface, checking that all the bogie wheels touch that surface. If not, undo the shouldered screw holding the bogie on and bend the pivot link until they do. Check the back-to-backs as well, though it's unlikely they'll have altered. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, great northern said:

I have offered General Incompetence an extended period of leave, and we shall see if he takes me up on it.  Here is the stock behind the B12, all of it the work of Gresley.

2136779957_10BSK.JPG.25e8938a700b2746795d0fce2efb3e5b.JPG

118110474_111151.JPG.45cfe6b4ae9fd499038c89df17a477ff.JPG2112071291_121152.JPG.d603d586e61a35dc53dc500a66117c29.JPG1047382533_12aCK.JPG.81f74f8090c73691f9a34d1e0f36e6d8.JPG1262692245_14shorty.JPG.e9a8e7e0593bb072dbf5667a5641ea03.JPG

Lovely carriages, and over quite a long period, I am gradually becoming fortunate enough to have rather more of them. I believe everything is in the correct order this time.

These are absolutely superb. Lovely photos

Cheers David

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I shall ask a question that may or may not be intelligent. When General Incompetence mucked up the formation of the Midland train the other day, it was mentioned that there should be a brake at the rear of the train. This made me consider my M&GN set, which according to the official book is formed SK SK CK BSK. These formations trundled about between PN and either Yarmouth or Kings Lynn, in the main. It seems highly unlikely that they were turned on arrival, so wouldn't that mean that in one direction the brake would be at the front, rather than at the rear?

I'm open to correction, but the only restriction at that time, I believe, was a maximum number of axles which could be marshalled in rear of the brake vehicle in a fitted train.   I don't know off the top of my head what that was in 1958, but it would apply equally to carriage sets as to things like horseboxes and perishable vans picked up or dropped off en route. 

Many of the branch sets in East Anglia, as shown in Dr. Ian C Allen's books, had first class and the brake compartment in the middle of the train, where they'd be closest to the station buildings when the train pulled up.  It may look odd to us, but it's not usually a requirement to have a brake at each end of a set.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I'm open to correction, but the only restriction at that time, I believe, was a maximum number of axles which could be marshalled in rear of the brake vehicle in a fitted train.   I don't know off the top of my head what that was in 1958, but it would apply equally to carriage sets as to things like horseboxes and perishable vans picked up or dropped off en route. 

Many of the branch sets in East Anglia, as shown in Dr. Ian C Allen's books, had first class and the brake compartment in the middle of the train, where they'd be closest to the station buildings when the train pulled up.  It may look odd to us, but it's not usually a requirement to have a brake at each end of a set.

The instructions were in the relevant General Appendix and were a bit complex, based on wheels not axles, but up to three bogie coaches (24 wheels) behind the brake van in which the Guard rode would be OK as long as the train did not need to travel up a gradient steeper than 1 in 40 (unless special instructions were in place).

Caveat: my comments are based on the 1936 GWR General Appendix. The same requirements were carried over to the 1960 WR Regional Appendix. They don't appear in the 1960 BR General Appendix. I have no knowledge of the specific requirements on the Eastern Region.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Thanks 1

From what I know, there tended to be regional variations, old habits dying hard and all that. The archetypical LMR ordinary passenger four and three coach trains would have a brake at either end - only when it got down to two vehicles, would one of the brake vehicles be dispensed with. Meanwhile, in the old NER area of the ER, they continued to favour BC+BT for a two coach formation so still a brake at each end.

Old habits still persisted well into diesel days and I remember a minor furore at the LHCS depot I was working at where we had five coach sets for local (Provincial) workings to supplement the all-pervading DMUs. There was a shunt required to be done at Blackpool station which involved propelling towards the buffer stops. The guard was in the rear vehicle - with his hand on the brake lever in the guard's compartment, ready to stop the move if the driver misjudged the distance. Not so easy to do if the rear vehicle isn't a brake coach (leaning out of a droplight window, reaching out for the butterfly valve as an alternative didn't go down too kindly with 'the lads' so brake at both ends it had to be).

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes. Click on the three dots at the top right of the post and select Hide.

Did wonder about that. Now done. 

(can it be unhidden?! Not that I need to do that but if it can't be subsequently unhidden then isn't it as good as 'deleted'?!)

Sorry Gilbert! Back to the trains ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We are indeed used to trains in the era having a brake at the very rear, and the number of axles/wheels was certainly an important qualification were it otherwise. 

Southern EMUs, even those built under BR, adhered to these rules, although two-car units only had a brake at one end. Then 1963-stock appeared, with which I suspect St E to be particularly familiar. The four car unit had a single brake in one of the intermediate coaches. The units were designated Cig and Big - the latter having a buffet car. Earnest railwaymen would tell you the 'ig' stood for Intermediate Guard. It did not. IG was the LBSCR telegraphic code for Brighton, and it was for the Brighton line that the new stock was intended. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, jwealleans said:

The Audley End and Buntingford branches sometimes had the brake vehicle marshalled in the middle , and sometimes at the end of a three coach set ( more often two though at Audley end).. I am pretty sure they were both second class only , or at least some services were.  North Woolwich seemed to marshal anything anywhere , but sometimes had a four coach quadart set with obviously the brake at one end but there  is also a photo at aNorth Woolwich at the end of Steam of a four coach set with on brake at the country end and one in the middle. I rode on the Branch at the end of Steam with the guard travelling next to the engine . Not sure what was at the other end of the train.