Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, Gilbert. I’ve been looking through the good book by Hugh Longworth, British Railways Pre Nationalisation Coaching Stock, Volume 2, SR and LMS. In pages 407/8, the LYR Hughes, non corridor thirds are covered, to diagram 98. 54’ 0” x 8’ 10 1/2 “. 25tons 15 cwt. M15204M, is one from lot number N31. It was introduced in 1921, (no other information is given), and withdrawn in October, 1959. The original number was 13860. 
A fascinating subject, railway carriages.

Best regards,

Rob.

That's what I'd call an exhaustive reply Rob, and absolutely correct too. I though that might be one of the more difficult ones.:sad_mini2:

• Like 2

Having worked In Letchworth for many years and owning a model Country Gentlemens (sic) Association coal wagon, I have often wondered about goods train workings to and from the North.  I had assumed that wagons were dropped off at Hitchin for connection to an appropriate main line or Cambridge branch train.  However, your O2 is working a through goods.  Please  do you know if the loco joined hauled the train (tender first?) from Letchworth and ran round it at Hitchin or did it relieve a local engine at the latter? 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Having worked In Letchworth for many years and owning a model Country Gentlemens (sic) Association coal wagon, I have often wondered about goods train workings to and from the North.  I had assumed that wagons were dropped off at Hitchin for connection to an appropriate main line or Cambridge branch train.  However, your O2 is working a through goods.  Please  do you know if the loco joined hauled the train (tender first?) from Letchworth and ran round it at Hitchin or did it relieve a local engine at the latter? 

Can't help with that, I'm afraid. Dear departed Andy Rush told me that the train would have vans with produce from Letchworth, but also, as with so many other nortbound trains, a raft of coal empties as well. It could be that the vans were worked to Hitchin and the empties attached there, but I don't know for sure.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 2750Papyrus said:

Having taken a look at the track layout at Hitchin, it seems a bit unlikely. The shunt moves involved would take up a lot of track capacity although it could be done with a station pilot.

I think it more probable that the wagons would have travelled further south to a marshalling yard before returning northwards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Having taken a look at the track layout at Hitchin, it seems a bit unlikely. The shunt moves involved would take up a lot of track capacity although it could be done with a station pilot.

I think it more probable that the wagons would have travelled further south to a marshalling yard before returning northwards.

Would Letchworth have received loaded coal earlier in the day though, possibly off the New England- KX Goods pick up? In that case, assuming sufficient siding capacity at Letchworth, the whole train could have started there and just joined the main line at Hitchin. I know locos ran light from Hornsey to run empties from New Southgate and I think other places, so the same could happen here.

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, G567281 said:

I love viewing your passenger train formations.  Does your modelling period warrant running the Tees-Thames which was introduced in the late 50’s for approx 3 years ?. It was a restaurant car express and consisted of two portions, one from  Saltburn by the sea and the other from West Hartlepool if I am not mistaken in late 1958.  York engines were used for the run to London and it’s return.

best regards

Alan

Just too late for me, I'm afraid.  The sequence I run is from the Summer 58 WTT, and the Tees-Thames hadn't been invented by then.

A bit of a thought to helping you through the mundane days-maybe a couple of user suggested photos, like (as an example) 60012 under the bridge with the rake from cassette 12A-something different and not strictly sticking to the sequences for yourself, and allowing a little more interaction between us all.

Although it might appear a little repetitive for you, for us (well, me at least!), it's of never-ending interest due to the sheer variety and subtle changes each day brings. We will never know the sequence as intimately as you. The whole idea is to be transported back in time (isn't it?) as if you were really there, boo-ing at the ever regulars but with the sense of anticipation for that one 'special' sighting that makes the visit worthwhile. Deviate too far from that and whole effect is ruined.

I enjoyed seeing Tracery yesterday, for example. It was always one of my dad's favourites (lovely, classy name) from early 1950s GCR days and we have it on Grantham as No.2558 in LNER days.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 5
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Although it might appear a little repetitive for you, for us (well, me at least!), it's of never-ending interest due to the sheer variety and subtle changes each day brings. We will never know the sequence as intimately as you. The whole idea is to be transported back in time (isn't it?) as if you were really there, boo-ing at the ever regulars but with the sense of anticipation for that one 'special' sighting that makes the visit worthwhile. Deviate too far from that and whole effect is ruined.

I enjoyed seeing Tracery yesterday, for example. It was always one of my dad's favourites (lovely, classy name) from early 1950s GCR days and we have it on Grantham as No.2558 in LNER days.

Gilbert, can I just echo this post.

Around the time period of your layout I used to go trainspotting at Grantham in the school holidays.

Seeing your photos brings back memories of seeing the real locos and I am learning a lot about what I then took for granted.

So please keep up the photos, I don't mind repeats of the exact locations and angles - it's just like my much later photos of places I was able to visit quite often - especially Swayfield and Grantham.  Each photo shows subtle differences.

David

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Well thank you Graham and Dave, that cheered me up a lot, and I shall take notice. I'm a bit cheesed off at the moment as every Hunt coupling I fixed seems to have knock on effect on something else when I start forming trains, which has made the sequence rather tortuous. I know I could cheat and put in anything I chose, and you would never know if I didn't photograph the cheating bits, but somehow I can't bring myself to do that.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

Gilbert, can I just echo this post.

Around the time period of your layout I used to go trainspotting at Grantham in the school holidays.

Seeing your photos brings back memories of seeing the real locos and I am learning a lot about what I then took for granted.

So please keep up the photos, I don't mind repeats of the exact locations and angles - it's just like my much later photos of places I was able to visit quite often - especially Swayfield and Grantham.  Each photo shows subtle differences.

David

Now that in a way echoes something I've been thinking about to keep us interested and occupied.

How about contributions on the theme "a Day out at ....... in 19..? Our recollections of what we saw on a day trip to a favourite place. I doubt many of us have spotter's notebooks to refer to, but if you do, I for one would love to hear about the contents of those. Even without written help though, don't we all recall things which have stayed in our memories for years?

I'll kick it off with something, probably after I've finished duvet wrestling in the morning.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I think what continues to define PN for me is the timetabling. Every train, every light engine move has a scheduled purpose. That sets it apart from many other fine models, since it is a railway that has a reason for everything we are shown. No matter that the trains are posed to maximise the quality of the photography - that is a necessary constraint of photographing small things. The fact that each train is identified, be it the Scotsman or a trip from the East, adds substantially to the realism for me, maybe for others. 

• Agree 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gilbert, your layout and the daily reports and photos are a time machine as to what the ECML was like in the latter days of steam. All that is missing is the smoke and smells. My ECML spotting was mainly at Kings Cross, Hornsey and Wood Green (as it was called then) and the stirring names, the variety of coaches and the different smell of the coal smoke (I was a WR spotter really) made a great impression on me. You bring back so many memories!

Barry

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1