Peterborough North

great northern

7 hours ago, great northern said:

Ermm....  I've just been informed, very tactfully, for which I was most grateful, that the train did not run via Cambridge, but went via Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds, Ely and March. That leaves me wondering where an engine change would have taken place, as dear Andy Rush told me that Colchester engines very seldom got to Peterborough East, let alone North.  I can't see that there would be a change at Ely, let alone March, given the very short distance from those places to PN.

It now belatedly also occurs to me that it might not even have been a Colchester engine from there. Never mind, I wanted one, and that's that.

March or Ipswich loco working throughout (to PN)? No idea of whether they were allocated there or what depots' route knowledge was - not my part of the world!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, great northern said:

The setting sun glistened off the paintwork of the B17, but could find nothing to enable it to do the same when its replacement backed on.

1055225529_470.JPG.726f967dcd20c6064722319b68b3dd85.JPG

and while the Glasgow had another of its protracted station stops, our ghost J3 appeared on the slow with a transfer goods.

393397870_541221.JPG.5fe3fd4914941f45d010c77120894dcb.JPG

The monochrome shot of the J3 is particularly realistic, brilliant.

Cheers

David

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, great northern said:

Plonk time.It looks black over Bill's mothers.

1316915803_18plonk18.JPG.90930a948922937924eb05dd93aba139.JPG

Gilbert

I have seen a bus parked as on this image, on a number of your images. I cannot recall seeing a bus parked there ever on the prototype. I do not think that any bus routes started from or called there. Am I wrong?

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Gilbert

I have seen a bus parked as on this image, on a number of your images. I cannot recall seeing a bus parked there ever on the prototype. I do not think that any bus routes started from or called there. Am I wrong?

Lloyd

You would know better than me Lloyd. I just assumed that there would be a bus service from the station, rather than passengers having to walk into the City to find one. Most people would not have been able to afford taxis. Mind you, we did all do a lot more walking back then, didn't we?

Yikes! Has that signal (nearest the camera in the Gladiateur departure shot) taken a clout or is it just some weird optical effect so close to the camera lens? It (signal) looked OK on Monday (B1 Grimsby departure shot) ...

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Yikes! Has that signal (nearest the camera in the Gladiateur departure shot) taken a clout or is it just some weird optical effect so close to the camera lens? It (signal) looked OK on Monday (B1 Grimsby departure shot) ...

The simple answer is that your signal is vertical, and I know that because I saw you make sure it was. It is the rest that aren't, and sadly they will have got knocked over the years, which is why I'm so looking forward to the replacements. The trouble with that image is that if I lined up on the correct vertical, everything else looked crazy. This was the least worst option.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1