Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure what you are doing differently Gilbert, but your recent pics are even more brilliant than previously.  Perhaps the way you are cropping them, like that last one of Great Eastern, just looks sublime.

• Agree 3

On 27/11/2020 at 15:58, great northern said:

Plonk time.It looks black over Bill's mothers.

1316915803_18plonk18.JPG.90930a948922937924eb05dd93aba139.JPG

I love these shots of the non railway side of the street if I can call them that. It really serves to put the train shots in some context. It shows that PN is a whole slice of the 1950's. It is often said that you should be able to get the right atmosphere and the right timeframe without the trains and PN definitely has that.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, trw1089 said:

I’m not sure what you are doing differently Gilbert, but your recent pics are even more brilliant than previously.  Perhaps the way you are cropping them, like that last one of Great Eastern, just looks sublime.

As much idleness as anything else, if I'm honest. If I see something I don't fancy trying to photoshop, I just try to crop it out. That's what happened with the Great Eastern shot., and fortunately it worked quite well.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, David Bell said:

I love these shots of the non railway side of the street if I can call them that. It really serves to put the train shots in some context. It shows that PN is a whole slice of the 1950's. It is often said that you should be able to get the right atmosphere and the right timeframe without the trains and PN definitely has that.

The atmosphere is greatly helped by Peter Leyland's wonderful buildings. Having said that, I now think that my decision to put in a baseboard extension so that the forecourt and hotel could be included was one of the best that I made at the planning stage.

• Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
On 28/11/2020 at 23:07, great northern said:

Tonight we see the Friday version of the 8.05 KX-Newcastle, which brings a very well turned out KX A1.

I'm afraid these pics serve to remind me why I don't really like weathered locos or stock. Here we have a loco as her designer intended - green, clean and with a sheen. Suits me. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I'm afraid these pics serve to remind me why I don't really like weathered locos or stock. Here we have a loco as her designer intended - green, clean and with a sheen. Suits me. 

Good point, Ian, but I do wonder if we would appreciate sights like this as much if everything was cleaned to the same standard? To a degree I think it is the difference between grey and grim and clean and shiny that lifts the spirits. Very much like the weather at this time of year actually. A sunny day is a real boost, much more so than in summer.

The other point of course is that dirty is what most things were, so PN will remain grimy and rather down at heel most of the time.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

That first shot of Knight of Thistle is lovely Gilbert, such a natural weathering job, presumably one of Tim's?  just......lush!

It is indeed Neil. Every one he does now seems to get better than the one before. As you say, they just look so natural. The problem then is that they show up earlier ones done by other people, so I start thinking about getting Tim to deal with them as well.

• Like 1

Were BZs unusually narrow?   I was thinking how bloated that Mk 1 looked behind the leading one, but the one further back down the train seems to have a distinctly pinched profile as well.   I haven't ever noticed with mine, but then it only ever runs with parcels stock, never in a passenger set.

• RMweb Gold

I might be able to answer the question about the width of the BZ’s. I’ve looked their dimensions up in the Hugh Longworth book covering ex GWR and ex LNER carriage stock, and it gives a length of 32’ 0” with a width of 9’ 3”, so with the width of a Mk1 being also, over things like door handles, 9’ 3” then they should be identical in width. Perhaps one or both models are not quite spot on in width in some way. I hope this is of some help.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jwealleans said:

Were BZs unusually narrow?   I was thinking how bloated that Mk 1 looked behind the leading one, but the one further back down the train seems to have a distinctly pinched profile as well.   I haven't ever noticed with mine, but then it only ever runs with parcels stock, never in a passenger set.

I happen to have a MK1 and a BZ down here, Jonathan, and I've lined them up. With the human eyeball, the BZ is very slightly narrower, but there isn't much in it. As usual, the camera has distorted and exaggerated. After all, it can even make Ian Willets lovely Gresleys look banana shaped.

The BZs are Marc Models, and must be getting on for 25 years old, bu they were the only available kits at the time. I do remember that they were assassinated by an "expert" at the time as being wrong in multiple aspects, mainly the underframe, as I recall. However, I need them, as they were rostered in some of the local formations, so that's that.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Mine is also a MARC Models and i recall that the underframe instructions and parts were vague enough that I rang Mike Radford to ask him for guidance.   He hasn't forgotten that review either - he was still angry about it at Nottingham show three or four years ago.

I have one of Ian MacDonald's BZ kits to make up, it will be interesting to see how they compare.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 69843 said:

Something looks a little off with the visible tender handrail, as it looks to be at an angle. Or trick of the camera?

Could be either, but it is a Gateshead engine three weeks from general overhaul, so it might be entirely prototypical.:jester:

• Funny 6