Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Welly said:

^^^

Thanks for the reminiscence! Only one minor mistake - it is Gainsborough Lea Road that the Lincoln - Retford trains goes through.

Of course it is, I did hesitate as I typed it, but couldn't be bothered to check properly.

• Funny 1

Another memory of mine , as we are back on reminiscing, Gilbert.

A Bank Holiday weekend in the early ‘60’s. Probably Whitsun as it was called before the world went barmy. I went with my parents, cousin and two aunts and uncles for weekend in Swanage.  It was difficult to get accommodation , and as the others were in one car they got a B&B somewhere but not enough room for us so the Landlady suggested we try the station as the Station Masters wife did bed and breakfast.

So off we went for what was to be an real eye- opener especially as I didn’t even know Swanage had a station. Anyway, joy-of- joys we got fixed up for B&B and with my eyes popping out of my head it soon became apparent that I was  obsessed with railways and the station masters wife proudly showed me an o o gauge station her son, who was away somewhere, had built.  Then then her husband said that if I could be down on the platform by 6.30 when the news paper train came in he would ask the driver if I could go up in the cab . This was going to be a weekend to remember !

Anyway later that evening after dark, I went exploring the station. At that stage, I had never seen anything Southern in my life   it just seemed amazing to see these two GREEN coaches parked in the bay. I guess now they must have been a couple of Bullieds that would have been attached to the branch train to Wareham next morning and then taken through to Waterloo by an express. In my excitement I walked alongside looking into the windows then went to look to look round the other side, but in the dark I didn’t realise there was no platform the other side so stepped into thin air and fell between the rails. At that time I thought the whole Southern region had been electrified third rail and still remember thinking as I fell that I was  going to be electrocuted. Fortunately no harm was done and I climbed back up and got a stern warning from my dad about walking round in the dark.

The next morning came and for probably the first time in my life I was up and ready as an M7 arrived with the Newspaper train, the first time in my life I had seen an 0-4-4 tank. Not only did the driver agree to me coming in the cab he said I could ride on the footplate while he shunted the coaches. The drivers first words to me , speaking in his heavy Dorset accent were “ Funcy bein’  in’erested in thayse durrdy ol’ thaings “ . Dirty old things ? It was possibly the most wonderful thing Ld seen in my life ! It actually l pretty clean as well . So we pushed the coaches out of the station to the sidings beyond the Victoria Road Bridge then back to the signal box where I was given a tour by the signalman,

So ended my first ever ride on a steam locomotive footplate and the only one not on a preserved line . It was to be over 40 years before I got another one and have had several since but that one on the M7 is the one that stands out in my memory.

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 4

23 hours ago, great northern said:

I again invite you to share with us your memories of local trips in your past. I'd certainly like to read of events at places I have never visited, even if they are as largely inconsequential as those related above.

I'm envious of you and others Gilbert being able to recall such times past from the great days of steam. Unfortunately, I and others are just too damn young!

I could regale with tales of:

- days out on the UK rails in 1980s/1990s

- steam-hauled railtours in the UK from 1980s to present day

- forrin train travel (Swiss Alps, etc)

- Steam-orientated visits to other parts of the world

But none of these are really reminiscences on a par with yours ... are they?

In the meantime, I have just earliest memory fragments of the end of steam in 1968 (I was a 4-year old). Anybody know where this is?:

10_16.JPG.581aace8c9ead609fce5cb427d25dfd8.JPG

And 'I was there' on the last day of all - August 11th, 1968:

390115210_Ribblehead110868-annotated.jpg.c7f1a53db1e45ab9f47597d11954bcb2.jpg

Remarkably, I'm pretty certain that's me in this snip of Colin Gifford's picture of the day - that's my Mum., holding my younger brother (he never did like trains) with my Dad in front, wielding his trust Eumig Standard-8 cine camera.

I returned, 39 years and 364 days later to take my own picture:

196563357_15guineaspecial012.JPG.18868e9affa7f52cbecdee20bd410a9f.JPG

Wind still blowing in exactly the same direction!!

• Like 19

12 hours ago, jazzer said:

So ended my first ever ride on a steam locomotive footplate and the only one not on a preserved line . It was to be over 40 years before I got another one and have had several since but that one on the M7 is the one that stands out in my memory.

Although ironically - and happily - it IS a preserved line (ie in 2020). And you could pretty much do everything you describe (including the M7) to this very day!

But we know what you meant ... :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

I'm envious of you and others Gilbert being able to recall such times past from the great days of steam. Unfortunately, I and others are just too damn young!

I could regale with tales of:

- days out on the UK rails in 1980s/1990s

- steam-hauled railtours in the UK from 1980s to present day

- forrin train travel (Swiss Alps, etc)

- Steam-orientated visits to other parts of the world

But none of these are really reminiscences on a par with yours ... are they?

In the meantime, I have just earliest memory fragments of the end of steam in 1968 (I was a 4-year old). Anybody know where this is?:

10_16.JPG.581aace8c9ead609fce5cb427d25dfd8.JPG

And 'I was there' on the last day of all - August 11th, 1968:

390115210_Ribblehead110868-annotated.jpg.c7f1a53db1e45ab9f47597d11954bcb2.jpg

Remarkably, I'm pretty certain that's me in this snip of Colin Gifford's picture of the day - that's my Mum., holding my younger brother (he never did like trains) with my Dad in front, wielding his trust Eumig Standard-8 cine camera.

I returned, 39 years and 364 days later to take my own picture:

196563357_15guineaspecial012.JPG.18868e9affa7f52cbecdee20bd410a9f.JPG

Wind still blowing in exactly the same direction!!

Well, I for one think that is terrific Graham. Your picture above is superb. Is the other one Kingmoor?

I'm more than happy to read about rail tours, and of course you could tell us a lot about the genesis and life of Tornado, couldn't you? This is primarily a thread about my train set, but I just love railways in general, as I'm sure do most of the people who visit here, so some wider experiences are welcome.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

32 minutes ago, great northern said:

Your picture above is superb. Is the other one Kingmoor?

I'm more than happy to read about rail tours, and of course you could tell us a lot about the genesis and life of Tornado, couldn't you? This is primarily a thread about my train set, but I just love railways in general, as I'm sure do most of the people who visit here, so some wider experiences are welcome.

Well, thanks for that, Gilbert. I'll have a go at putting together one of each and see how they go down. I don't want to bore the pants off everybody.

In the meantime, perhaps we have a mini little picture quiz on our hands? No, it's not Kingmoor. It's a scene I vaguely recall from early 1968 (obviously not my picture!), there was snow on the ground at the time. I'm sure some one with similar 1968 memories will recognise it ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, thanks for that, Gilbert. I'll have a go at putting together one of each and see how they go down. I don't want to bore the pants off everybody.

In the meantime, perhaps we have a mini little picture quiz on our hands? No, it's not Kingmoor. It's a scene I vaguely recall from early 1968 (obviously not my picture!), there was snow on the ground at the time. I'm sure some one with similar 1968 memories will recognise it ...

Gowhole

Simon

• Round of applause 1

Well, I did say a 'mini' quiz so it only lasted two guesses. Ah well!

Yes - I just have this vague memory of going there with my Dad and another enthusiast in the snows of February 1968, standing by (or being plonked on) the gate overlooking the yard from Dolly Lane and seeing an 8F, wreathed in steam, on the turntable there.

• RMweb Premium

I passed that site so many times on my way to and from university, and off on walking trips, but have only ever known it as a windswept place with a large hole where the turntable once was sadly.

Simon

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Although ironically - and happily - it IS a preserved line (ie in 2020). And you could pretty much do everything you describe (including the M7) to this very day!

Yes, we had a few days in Swanage there or four years ago  and took the train out to Corfe Castle and back but sadly the M7 was not in steam. I managed to get up close though. 

Yes, we had a few days in Swanage there or four years ago  and took the train out to Corfe Castle and back but sadly the M7 was not in steam. I managed to get up close though. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoying the reminiscing.  A bit like Graham I was only 2 at the end of steam in Queensland (Dec 1969), so don’t remember anything about the steam era, but can vividly recall standing on the platform when one of our first generation English Electric 1200 class (built in Bradford amazingly) hauling what was called the Exhibition set of slam door Evans Cars suburban coaches pulled in.  The coaches which were normally a Tuscan Red colour, had been painted a dark Hawthorn Green for use on shuttle services to our City’s Showgrounds.  I’ve loved the sounds of English Electric’s ever since (they were engined with 12CSVTs the same as class 37s).

My first view of real working steam was in China in 2012 and the thing that struck me most was how many different shades and textures were present on active revenue earning locos.  Even in China it was obvious when a crew had a favourite engine, it would be looked after better, maybe a bit of polish, new paint or a special plaque, but it was also still weathered.  Some pics here if anyone is interested in such things https://www.flickr.com/gp/trw1089/0w7E97.

My first steam excursion was back in 1982, an all day trip behind a C17 4-8-0, the thing that captivated me most was the sound and smell of it, the hot oil, sulphourus coal smoke, it was just captivating.  It hooked me bad, and really was the commencement of getting into the modelling hobby again.  Hard to believe that was nearly 40 years ago now!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 10

My story does not start out as a railway story. I think encountering an unexpected treat creates a vivid memory and so it is with this. I was golfing with my Dad at Carmuirs Golf Club near Falkirk. I liked playing there because it was next to the Edinburgh to Glasgow line just east of Camelon station. For three or four holes you are close to the railway so for forty minutes or so golf was combined with watching trains. The year is somewhere around 1975 which makes me about 14.There was always a steady stream of oil workings from Grangemouth, usually Class 37 hauled. In between these would be the local trains to Larbert, class 101 DMU's for the most part. You would also see class 20's and 25's. If it was a Sunday you would see the Class 27 push pulls running a 45 minute service between Edinburgh and Glasgow. The train comprised a class 27 at each end of a rake of 6 mk2 coaches. They were routed through Falkirk Grahamston on Sundays rather than their usual route through Falkirk High.

On this particular late summer evening just as the sun was getting low in the sky the unexpected treat drifted into view. Caledonian Railway 439 0-4-4T no 419, resplendent in dark blue, drifted slowly past, light engine and bunker first. It was heading back to the SRPS depot in Falkirk I think from an event in Stirling. It was brought to a halt at an adverse signal for a few minutes. After a class 101 rasped away towards Falkirk the signal was pulled and 419 resumed its journey amidst a cloud of steam leaving behind the unique aroma of a steam locomotive for a few minutes more.  

What a memory!

(I can't remember my golf score that day)

Cheers

David

• Like 15

12 hours ago, great northern said:

Back to only one image I'm afraid, owing to a complete lack of daylight over the last few days. This morning's forecast promised sunshine tomorrow, but alas it has changed back to cloudy. Here is Grantham A3 Galtee More arriving with the 7.30am Grantham- KX.

509050727_7491.JPG.5e4d1c41401d4805fa3ccd73600e441f.JPG

Galtee More my favourite A3, because Dad took me onto her footplate at K+. Must have been 1962 - 63. Of course she had a double chimney and smoke deflectors then. I've got two models of her, one as an A1 for late 30s which runs regularly on my layout and of course in the condition she was when I saw her. 

Andrew

• Like 3