Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

I’m probably on my own here but I actually quite like some of the director names, e.g. Miles Beevor, William Whitelaw, Lord Farringdon.

You are not. Key movers and shakers have been the source of loco names for much of the railway age. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Walter K Whigham possibly the worse name for a loco ever.

Nooooo ! You have only got to look at some of the electric locos to get far worse than  that.  I mean, what about “East Anglian Daily Times, Suffolk and proud” , or “ Modern Railways Magazine “  is hardly going send shivers down the spines of the spotters . :beee:

Worst A4 name, Great Snipe ( yuk ) which fortunately became the far more charismatic Golden Fleece at an early date.

5 hours ago, great northern said:

Back to dull and cold here. Never mind, there is a poll result to look forward to when I get round to it, and the prospect of another one. For some reason Mons Meg got the portrait treatment, and I don't think it looks that bad, frankly.

1260331559_105042.JPG.dc6a63bd4bc781ac9283b36e974d92c5.JPG

Hi Gilbert 

That is one stunning photo of the A2/2.

Regards

David

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

I have always found the choice of names for the A4s to be a curious selection, not really in keeping with the locomotives' image.  However, the worst have to be those of directors and officers not well known at the time and now virtually forgotten.  Lord Farringdon and William Whitelaw had given many years of service to the LNER and its predecessors but some of the others would have been better contained in the B1 Director name series. 

My pick for the worst A4 name goes to Andrew K. McCosh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I've never really liked Seagull personally. Felt a bit like they were running out of ideas.

A sleek and graceful bird, noted for fast flight? Not really. All they do is squawk a lot and nick yer chips!

And if Seagulls (even Herring Gulls) were scarce we would say what magnificent birds they are, with brilliant aerobatic control accurate enough to steal food from human plates/newspapers/packets. Yes, so gulls are basically pirates, which is presumably why humans, who are far worse pirates, claim not to like them.

It's a shame that Gannets and Fulmars weren't used, but they are best appreciated in their natural environment far out at sea. with their long gliding wings.

I may have said before that the Eider Duck (which is I understand the fastest flying UK duck), could have been used. 

Perhaps it could only have been run on down trains?

Oh yes, worst names, - Bryan, Davina, and Brigid. And in the middle of a war too!

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I've never really liked Seagull personally. Felt a bit like they were running out of ideas.

A sleek and graceful bird, noted for fast flight? Not really. All they do is squawk a lot and nick yer chips!

I agree but for a different reason - given that one was named Herring Gull, why name another after the same generic type of bird?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Worst A4 name? Some dodgy birds mentioned, but a straight fight between Andrew K and Walter K in the end. Andrew won 4-3.

What shall we do today? Halls? Granges? :mosking: No, we will stay with proper and imaginitively named engines. Best A3 name please.

• Like 1