Peterborough North

great northern

22 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

The only A1 today is as Red Leader indicates, but is that actually a Peppercorn?

However, for the A1s of yesteryear I announce in a pompous arse way.......Auld Reeki. 

Can't wait for the A2s and I suspect you might guess what my choices (there are 4 variants) for that are going to be for two of them.

Yo.

Very much regarded as the 50th Peppercorn A1 - after a 50 year gap in production!

It's effectively the sixth one fitted with roller bearings, as per 60153-7. It has an electrical system - so did the originals. It has modern signalling / communication systems - but the originals (eventually) had AWS. It has air brakes ... well, so do many of the modern steam mainline fleet. About the only major departure from design is the all-welded steel boiler - and even that is dimensionally the same as the originals.

The P2, however ... (but no two of them were truly identical anyway)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Willbrook, seen at York, when I think it was spare to cover diesels.
A very mucky Harvester, my only A3, seen at York again, right at the very end of her life.
I never saw the loco, but I have a soft spot for Meg Merrilies. My Springer Spaniel, my companion for 15yrs was Meg.

Edited by Sandhole
  • Like 1

No contest. 

edited pic Bachmann model.  Will remove if offends.

60116_haymarket_A1_portrait2_1a_r1820.jpg.e7fe0b4c61477300b8b877f8b3c8d274.jpg

edit; 60116 was mostly a 52B Gateshead engine, presumably seen sometimes at Waverley and New England?

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 10

23 minutes ago, great northern said:

Two power cuts today, one this afternoon, and a longer one this evening. That's one way of stopping people having parties.:jester:

Anyway, before the next spell of darkness, may I wish each and every one of you a much better New Year than the one we have just endured. RMWeb has turned out to be a powerful tool for keeping us sane in such unprecedented times, so many thanks to Andy Y for keeping it going for us.

We have a very appropriate picture to usher the New Year in. What could be better than a Claud with original valances?

1233279626_102613.JPG.e308194de4326ae80afb5bdf4cb84637.JPG

How good it would be if Hornby announce one of these next week. I'm not holding my breath though.

I echo those thanks to Andy Y and add sincere thanks to you Gilbert for your marvellous models, photography, and forbearance. 

A happy new year to all from NZ where is is sunny and warm but still rather out-of-touch with the world.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Many different suggestions for the best A1 name, showing, ! think, what a good selection they were. I would not have predicted the winner though, Hal O' The Wynd, with 3 votes. It was very close though, five other locos had 2 votes.

Was there a worst name among the A1s? If so, which one was it?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Many different suggestions for the best A1 name, showing, ! think, what a good selection they were. I would not have predicted the winner though, Hal O' The Wynd, with 3 votes. It was very close though, five other locos had 2 votes.

Was there a worst name among the A1s? If so, which one was it?

W.P.Allen for me. I don’t like obscure names - especially ones with middle initials. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

W.P.Allen for me. I don’t like obscure names - especially ones with middle initials. 

I agree about the name but it seems an odd one out, so W.P.Allen is my choice.

Just now, LNER4479 said:

Wasn't he a Union official of the time? There was obviously a reason for choosing the name.

But I agree, rather uninspiring compared to the continued tradition of inspirational racehorse names

A.S.L.E.F. No less.