Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

My 1961/2 Combined Volume only includes 60500 and then skips the next 10. So I consulted Google, but it took me several websites to piece together those numbers. Complicated stuff! No strong feelings here. 

Yes, it's got me beat. Even with Gilbert's explanation above, I still can't work out how to perm two (A1/1 and A1/2) from four A2, A2/1, A2/2 and A2/3).

Just to be controversial though (or perhaps not), I'll nominate Edward Thompson - or, alternatively, Airborne (in my experience, when a train becomes airborne there is big trouble ahead).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Yes, it's got me beat. Even with Gilbert's explanation above, I still can't work out how to perm two (A1/1 and A1/2) from four A2, A2/1, A2/2 and A2/3).

Just to be controversial though (or perhaps not), I'll nominate Edward Thompson - or, alternatively, Airborne (in my experience, when a train becomes airborne there is big trouble ahead).

Quite. I've only once witnessed it actually happening. late 1970s at Bletchley - I was on a southbound fast train running in, as a cement wagon train - only partially braked - on the northbound slow derailed coming under the flyover with some of the wagons running up the platform ramp and taking to the air before falling over. How nobody was hurt still amazes me?

Of course this took out the overhead electric supply so some of us went home for the day.

Still the stuff of nightmares, some 40 odd years on.

Regards

Chris H

P.S. the Class 25 (?) on the front of the cement train shot off like a startled rabbit when the coupling parted leaving it with only a short train.

CH

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I clearly recall Signalling Regulation 19 being invoked if a train passed without a tail lamp, but cannot recall a similar requirement for no head-signal. As it's the Lizzie, I suspect everyone knew what it was and gave her all-speed. 

• RMweb Premium

What a fiasco that was!  My fault entirely, but we had votes for best rather than worst, and for sub classes which weren't included. The general opinion seemed to be that the names of engines in Classes A2/1 and A2/2 were all jolly good, so we will leave it at that.

Right, worst names in Classes A2(Peppercorn), and A2/3. I suspect one of those may be a foregone conclusion.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, great northern said:

What a fiasco that was!  My fault entirely, but we had votes for best rather than worst, and for sub classes which weren't included. The general opinion seemed to be that the names of engines in Classes A2/1 and A2/2 were all jolly good, so we will leave it at that.

Right, worst names in Classes A2(Peppercorn), and A2/3. I suspect one of those may be a foregone conclusion.

I'll stick with Airborne for A2/3, as I think the other one I mentioned will get plenty of votes without my help. Sayajirao for A2 as I've still no clue how to pronounce it.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

Well, I'm going with the obvious - 60500 Edward Thompson gets my vote as the worst name!

Strangely, I think that's the only decent name amongst the A2/3s.  That's judging it purely as a name, without reference to the reputation (or otherwise) of the man himself... 

Difficult to choose an individual worst one, but Watling Street does seem particularly incongruous...

• RMweb Premium

Another one for Watling Street, surely that is the route of the LNWR.

GWR followed the Roman Great Western Road.

GNR followed the Roman Great Northern Road.

GER followed the Roman Great Eastern Road.

LNWR followed the Roman London to Northampton route along Watling Street.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Another one for Watling Street, surely that is the route of the LNWR.

GWR followed the Roman Great Western Wandering Road.

GNR followed the Roman Great Northern Road.

GER followed the Roman Great Eastern Road.

LNWR followed the Roman London to Northampton route along Watling Street.

There, I've just corrected that post for you ...

(sorry - couldn't resist:jester:)

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Another result I would not have predicted. Watling Street 6 votes, almost half the total cast, and ET only got 2.

Today we will have something simple, with no sub classes to cause confusion. What was the best name for a B1? You may have to do a bit of research on your antelopes.