Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Putting aside its novelty value, I have to say that GNU is a pretty bizarre name for a steam locomotive , whichever way you look at it. Even if it is the g-nicest work of g-nature in the zoo ...

One of my colleagues at Brighton lived at Rustington-on-Sea. Not, as far as I know, in furnished lodgings though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Worst name fora B1, contrary to everyone else Mayflower. 

The Pilgrim Fathers who sailed on the boat it was named after were a bunch of religious freaks who were basically kicked out of everywhere they went, at a time when even England was ultra Christian.  They would have starved if it wasn't for the  First Nations people who fed them native food, Turkey and Pumpkin, over the first winter. The First Nations people who spoke English where they were trading with the tobacco planters. The same First Nation people the Pilgrim Fathers then went on to cheat and kill.  Towns like Boston, Basildon and Plymouth have been sucked into the American narrative of these poor persecuted people who fled to the New World and were saved by god, by naming everything Mayflower, Pilgrim or after one of the leaders. An American narrative that ignores the fact America became rich on the sale of an addictive substance, grown on land stolen from the native people and farmed by people from another continent (not under their free will).

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I suppose I should go for Moray Firth as I do not need to go far to see it, But it would have to be Lord Roberts as the nearest I get to a loco named after me.

My wife has a loco named after her - 'Lady of Legend', after a student put on their feedback form a long time ago 'Lloyd is a legend ...', but the lecturer who took them in pointed out that there was a definite gap between the third and fourth letters!

Lloyd Roberts